1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cast Off Stock...recoil reduction question?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skydiver41, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skydiver41

skydiver41 Member

Can someone explain how adding cast to a stock reduces felt recoil? I currently shoot an XT (no cast...straight stock)and am getting tired of the recoil. I have talked to former Browning shooters who have switched to guns with more cast in the stocks (Perrazi, Blaser (my dream gun)) and have heard about what soft shooters they are. I haven't yet had a chance to demo a Blaser but hope to soon. Thanks.

Mike

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Actually, offset is what you want most. Cast means the stock angles away from the shooter's face from the wrist (pistol grip) back while offset indicates the stock has sort of a zig-zag in it - it goes to the right (for a right-hander) at the wrist then back to straight again. Both can be potentially beneficial in the felt recoil department because your head doesn't have to be against the stock as hard in order for your eye to align with the rib but cast brings with it the possibility of the gun recoiling into your face due to the angle of the stock.

I need 5/16" of offset. Beretta right-hand stocks come with 1/8" and the adjustable comb can add up to 1/4" more, so having Allem's bend my stock 3/8" gets me where I want to be. I wasn't experiencing recoil problems, so that didn't improve but I wanted to move the gun's POI to the right a little and that did happen.

averaged_2008_0303259.jpg

In the above photo, you can see how the comb now angles away from a right-handed shooter. Now, if you're feeling too much recoil on your shoulder, I doubt that more offset or cast will help.

Ed

3. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

My experience (admittedly limited) has been that cast off for a right handed shooter helps w/ eye-rib/bead alignment but may increase percieved recoil to the face, and not allow proper placement of the pad in the shoulder pocket. Offset of the comb or stock parallel w/ the rib helps w/ fit or alignment and doesn't drive the comb into the face but instead straight back, and keeps the butt where it should be in the pocket of the shoulder. Thats why properly fitted custom stocks like by Devault or the range of stocks offered by Kolar seem to shoot softer: they have the correct offset and twist at the butt pad. All this from trying to make my 870 TC line up for me better: Cast off lined it up good but made long shooting sessions uncomfortable after a while. J. Terre

4. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

Geez Ed not only is my typing slow but you've got a picture too! lol J. Terre

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

If you read what Dennis DeVault says on his site for fitting a gun he states that putting cast in a stock actually directs recoil into the face. Which makes sense. Read the cast vs. offset paragraph above the second picture in the link above. Then read what he says about everything being parallel to the barrel, to direct recoil straight back into the shoulder.

Browning XT's are light, and slightly front heavy because of the O/U barrels. I would start by adding a mercury recoil devise in the stock bolt hole. I like the long C & H 11 oz. model. Then adjust the load of the shells. Jon

6. skydiver41

skydiver41 Member

My XT weights 10.5 lbs. I have installed C&H's largest and heaviest mercury recoil reducer in the stock (7/8x5...16 oz). Recently I also bought their 9oz "Chamber" style unit and put it in the upper barrel for singles and HDCP. This year at the Grand I demoed an XT unsingle trap combo. It was very light of course, not having any added mercury units like mine. I shot 1 box of Winchester 1oz "Light" #8s and was very surprised at how much recoil I felt. The Blaser that I am covetting has a custom style stock with cast and/or offset built into it, I just haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

Mike

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Jon:
    The article you posted was very imformative.
    Thanks,
    Steve Balistreri

8. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I like my Kolar Ta Max Number 4 Stock. Heel 3/1/4, Offset 1/2. Toe 3/4. No felt recoil. My eye is right down the pike.

9. bigben

bigben Active Member

Mike, good inquiry! with your XT, close your eyes, mount the unloaded gun to where it is comfy, open your eyes, if you are looking down the center of the rib, perfect! Actually cast on or off will INCREASE felt recoil in your face because the comb is cocked, the proper fix is OFFSET, where the comb is in perfect straightness with the rib only to the left or right. Move the comb left or right until the pupil of your eye is perfectly in the center of the rib. Brownings are notorious kickers in the face for SOME shooters, an easy cheap fix is loosen the recoil pad, put a 1/16 in. washer in the top screw, shoot a few shells, feel better? add another and so on until the gun recoils straight back not up into your cheek, also a straight recoil pad is sometimes very helpful incinerate em!

10. skydiver41

skydiver41 Member

I am not trying to reduce felt recoil to my face. I seek to reduce what I feel on my shoulder. Today at the MO Fall HDCP I demoed a Blaser which had a nice cast off stock. I was not impressed with the amount of recoil I felt but in all fairness, the Blaser was very light. I don't think any of the weights were installed in the upper unsingle tube,between the barrel/tube or in the stock.

I also demoed one of Phil Simms'm Pro Soft units installed on a Kolar unsingle. I was very impressed how this unit reduced felt recoil to my shoulder.

Mike

11. bigben

bigben Active Member

Mike if you are interested in a Blaser, Pat has some at Dawson enterprises some used and with his Stock Lock, recoil reduction system mine is fantastic. 330 833 0014 incinerate em!

12. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

If it is shoulder issues, trap may not be your game - we shoot too much. There are also many devices that employ springs to absorb the recoil before it reaches your shoulder. Some of those systems are fairly pricey and I would hesitate before I paid for an experiment. Reduced loads is another reasonable option and does not cost a dime.

13. butcher

butcher Member

Get a PFS stock. You can ajust it to how you want it and it reduces recoil substantially

14. racer

racer TS Member

A pound of shot will fit in the stock hole. It would make the gun fit any better, but you will be surprised at the recoil reduction. Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
berretta 682 cast off stock
cast on or cast off for heavy recoil rifle
cast on shotgun stocks and recoil
installing c&h recoil reducer
recoil pad offset stock
rifle stock cast off

stock cast off