1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cast Off and Off Set

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shootsome, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootsome

shootsome Member

What is the difference between Cast Off and Off Set on a stock?

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Cast-off gains distance the further away from the receiver you get. Off-set maintains a steady distance past a given point. These measurements are taken using the centerline of the rib/barrel.

ss

3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

That was a very good description. But, allow me to put it another way:

Cast off is a stock that is bent to the right. Cast on is a stock that is bent to the left.

Offset deals with the comb. If you had a straight stock with an adjustable comb and you moved the comb over to the right by 1/4", you will have added 1/4" of offset.

The dimensions are not exclusive and stocks are common that have both.

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Rastoff is right, but I'd like to add that in (strict) offset, the pad is straight back from the receiver; all that's happened is that the stock is effectively "thinner" (but maybe not actually) near the top, at least.*

With cast, the pad s not centered on receiver, but is to the left (cast on) or right (cast off) from a line projected straight back from the rib.

*But it really has to be more than the comb, which is why moveable combs so often fail to live up to what is hoped for them. The whole stock has to be thinned a bit in most cases, since the face is not just a single "notch", but when the notch is moved, say to the right, the rest of the face and its bones and flesh move with it. And if there is not a plan to allow for the room they will need, moving the comb will just displace the basic problem (that eyes are inboard from the cheeks) from the top of the comb to the side of it.

Neil

5. checker

checker Member

OFF SET.....Whole stock is moved slightly off center.......picture this. Receiver and stock connection point.....add a thin shim (plastic lid material works well) between receiver and stock on LEFT side and you just added off set to the RIGHT on your stock.....Picture below help with mental image....
    [​IMG]

6. Neil Winston

Actually, what you describe is not offset, checker; it's cast.

Neil

7. shootsome

shootsome Member

Thanks, I understand the difference now. Seems like two different ways to accomplish the same thing - get the eye centered over the rib.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

shootsome,

You're one of the smarter guys on here.

ss

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I can get that eyes straight ahead mount whenever I rest my chin on the top of the comb and place the recoil pad in the center of my chest instead of the shoulder pocket. Someone mentioned facial features and I have deep set eye sockets with low eyebrows and a prominent nose bridge (Neanderthal type) and so I have a built in excuse for low scores. The only gun I own with offset is my Model 50 field gun and it always feels strange the first few times that I mount it without moving my face around a bit.

I made that post on the other thread. Seriously, I would like to know if there is such a stock (Twisted Sister ??) that would allow me to have a more heads up gun mount. When I was at the Grand in 2008, Jeff at the Kolar store fitted me for a T/S and said that the extreme heel drop was for shooters with a long neck and Not me. He said the #1 RH stock would be OK for me.

10. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Shootsome,

You are correct that they both are intended to get your eye over the rib, but they do two very different things.

Cast moves the receiver/barrel toward the center of your chest. This helps you keep your head upright.

Offset moves the comb essentially out of the way of your cheek.

Offset will depend on the width of your cheek and cast will depend on the width of your chest. Most combs are advertised that they adjust for cast which is wrong. An adjustable comb can only adjust for offset. An adjustable butt plate can adjust for cast.

To be truly fit properly, most shooters will need a little offset and a little cast.

11. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Something that may still be causing confusion is the definitions of "cast" in that there are several cast dimensions. All describe the distance from something to the center of the bore or rib.

There is the cast at the nose (front)of the comb, cast at the "face (where the cheek makes contact), cast at the heel, and cast at the toe. All can be changed and all are considered when fitting a stock.

An offset stock has cast but like Rastoff explained, on offset stock accomplishes something different than a stock with conventional (angle-created) cast.

Some cast dimensions affect on the general posture of the head and neck and others affect the alignment of the eye with the rib more directly (and cast at the toe is sometimes used to compensate for the wrong pitch to reduce cheek slap).

(Rastoff: Please send me your mailing address. I should have the 'Second Edition' of "Stock Fitter's Bible" in about two weeks.

Rollin

12. Neil Winston

The important difference between cast and offset involves recoil. With offset, recoil is straight back. With cast it is both straight back and into your face. That's why cast is poison; offset is anodyne.

Neil

13. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

"anodyne" - soothing. (I looked it up.)

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.