1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cast iron skillet better than teflon?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by John 53, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John 53

John 53 Member

You should not put cast iron in a dishwasher, or wash with any soap. Use only HOT water, paper towel dry and then oil. Mine is stored in the oven, and I cook chicken, burgers and anything that needs to be fried in it. The absolute BEST cornbread is cooked in a cast iron skillet.

All that being said, it is a lot easier to cook in Teflon.

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

Did you take the time to season it? The new skillet should be coated with vegetable oil or Crisco and baked in the oven at low temp for a few hours. Allow to cool ,wipe off and repeat. Then NEVER use soap. As said above hot water dry well and wipe with oil. Eventually the pan will take on a black coating. That is when they are best.

Look at your older teflon coated pans see all that missing coating it had to go somewhere.

--- Chip King ---

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

We use nothing but cast iron. I think the food cooks and tastes better done in cast iron. That said, I don't recall saying it was easier. They are heavier and do require special care when you are done cooking in them. As the others have stated, you have to hand wipe them out and then re-oil before storing. I actually think all the extra steps is worth it. I didn't care for it when we first started. After having several expensive nonstick skillets bite the dust, the cast iron skillets just keep doing their thing and get better with age.

4. oz

oz Active Member

tried them all. best today is aluminum/ceramic. oz

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

I used to think Teflon was great until I heard that the fumes will kill birds. A friend owned a parrot. Apparently they are susceptible to the fumes from cooking non stick surfaces. Another reason to use cast iron.

T

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

+1 for the aluminum/ceramics.

7. dhip

dhip Active Member

Water with cast Iron,,nah,Just paper towel the residue out of it after cooking,shoot,you know the heat will kill any germs or bacteria anyway.,,LOL

Doug H.

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I do NOT own a teflon anything....been there, done that...underwhelmed...love my cast iron skillet...passed down from my mother...it's got to be 80 years old..love it..

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have seen people get a new cast iron pan and grease it up and put it in the oven for a time. They will put it in at I think 300 to 350 degree's and let the grease cook in to the pan. Then take it out and flip it over so the top edges get grease also. Do that a number of times and your set.

10. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

nasty

11. 1290FPS

1290FPS Member

What is teflon? (lol) The trick to no stick cooking with cast iron is to make sure the pan is oiled AND hot before placing food in it.

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

The cook DeJour, MIA hasn't weighed in yet.

13. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Has anyone used the ceramic "Orgreenic" Pans? Price seems too good to be true, see at website above. Thanks...Bill

14. sixten38

sixten38 Member

Seasoning cast iron is the key, this article was posted previously by MIA (Jack) and is an excellent primer on the science behind seasoning. I followed her direction and am having great success with the pans.

15. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Cast iron is great for everything. Teflon is pretty good for dog bowls. They don't rust. Charlie

16. CharlieAMA

Seriously, after cooking in a cast iron anything, I wash it, and then put it on the stove, low flame to dry it,( about 15 minutes), let it cool, and then wipe Vaseline with a paper towel in it. If you stack it with other cast iron stuff, put a sheet of wax paper in it to keep the Vaseline from getting on everything. Charlie

17. Twister7795

Twister7795 TS Member

Vaseline? guess it's not just for lube anymore!

18. CharlieAMA

Well, I should have known that was coming. Don't use K-Y Jelly. Whole different product. I make these Wok things out of old plow discs. Weld up the center, and then weld 2 horseshoes on for handles. I fill them up fairly full with cheap cooking oil, and put them on a open flame deal( don't know the correct term here). Anyway, bring to low boil, and spread the oil all over the disc. Do this 2-3 times, and disc is ready to cook in. You can cook anything in them. Charlie

19. quartering

quartering Active Member

why is it that 15 pound cast iron skillets always have the short, stubby handles and lightweight ceramic skillets always have the long, easy to handle handles? btw, the difference between cast iron and teflon is the same as the difference between teflon and ceramic. it'll be the best 300 bucks you've ever spent on a frying pan!

20. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

One thing not mentioned here is the surface condition of the pan.

The newer pans tend to be a lot rougher than the old ones - or well used ones. I have a griddle than I ended up hitting with an air grinder - it was so rough EVERYTHING stuck to it.

Once ground smooth and properly seasoned it is perfect for bacon or pancakes...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.