1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CAST IRON FRYING PANS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by shooter, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shooter

shooter TS Member

How to cure/season a cast iron frying pan in the oven with P-nut oil.

I can't find the information that was on here.

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Read this flaxseed method all the way to the bottom of the article.

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

3. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Great article!

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

slowly fry up a pound of bacon, wipe it out with paper towels. eat the bacon, repeat. Bill

5. Juantoomany

Juantoomany Member

Buy some Lard...Yes that's right LARD......Use a paper towel..smear a good coat of lard in the inside of the skillet...Put the skillet in a 200 degree oven for 3 or 4 hours....remove and wipe out...Depending on the cast iron producer..you might do this a couple of times....another trick.....If you know anyone in the metal fabrication business/Tool maker..If the inside of the new skillet is real rough...have them buff/polish/grind...the inside cooking surface a bit smoother...this makes for a great cooking surface.

This is my personal process. Everyone that uses and loves using cast iron to cook with has their on curing process. Lodge...I think sells pre-cured cast iron...Have not used it...

Give it a whirl...hope it helps..

Dave E.

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

My mothers mother came down from NY to live with us in the early 70's. She then found my fathers seasoned case iron pans and thought they needed to be cleaned. There were about 5 of them. She scrubbed them so clean that my father had to re-season them. Boy he was mad. LOL

7. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Still using my grandmothers cast iron skillet. It's so old even the outside is seasoned. Also have a Lodge seasoned skillet that we bought on the way to the Grand last year and really like it as well. (a little deeper than Grandmas)I can tell the difference in the taste of food cooked in iron. It's the only way to go.

8. jwells

jwells Member

most important and the easiest way is to start with a quality pan. and then use it and throw away the teflon junk. flea markets and yard sells haave alot of quality made old american pans.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

daddiooo,

That's exactly what we use. Nothing like some bacon and eggs cooked in a cast iron skillet on an open flame gas stove.

[​IMG]

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Evercome home drunk and the wife hits you up on the side of the head w/ a large cast iron skillett WWWHHHHHHEEEEEWWWwwwwhhhheeeeeeee

Ouch that's hard honey take it easy/w dar old pan, whap whap oooooohhhhhh

OOOOoooouuuuuuccccccchhhh

11. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

You can always tell when somebody came home drunk. That imprint of the Lodge logo on your forehead usually takes about 2 days to go away.

12. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Shooter,
    Your local butcher supply should have a product called "Packers Technical Oil" it is a clean form of mineral oil. I use this to cure and keep my iron pans in good shape. First wash them in mild soapy warm water, dry them -Ido this on the stovetop. You should only have to wash them about once a year, maybe. Then apply a coating of the PToil with a paper towel. Then just use them as you normally would. The nice thing about PToil is that it doesn't go rancid like peanut and vegitable oils do. If you can't find the PToil in your area---contact me and I can find it or direct you to a supplier. PToil is not any more expensive than quality cooking oil.
    Chuck

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Chuckie says cast iron skillets are rancid. nasty , nasty , nasty

14. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

If it is getting rancid, then ya ain't using it enough

15. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Only the oil goes rancid not the iron pan. And true! if it goes rancid you aint usein it.

16. sixten38

sixten38 Member

MIA,
    Followed the instructions in article you posted and the results are phenomenal. I have a 12 inch lodge pan that has not taken well to other seasoning methods and the flaxseed oil method outlined in the article has worked like a charm. Thanks for sharing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.