1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cast iron cookwear. Why do campers prefer this?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Tripod, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Best heat conductivity, wears like "iron" and never needs replaced is my guess.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

As long as you don't have to pack them on your back..........

3. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Cast iron can withstand higher temperatures.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It is because of the heat conductive qualities - If you ever cook fried chicken on one you will know why when you are done. Nothing like it. My wife uses them a lot. I do a lot of cooking on the patio with Cast Iron and a gas burner stove

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

You can fry,roast, stew or even bake cornbread or a cake in a cast iron dutch oven. You can place it right in some hot coals or use a tripod over a fire.

I use mine at home all the time for pot roast, roast chicken, beef stew, deep frying and cornbread. I works on the grill, in the oven and stove top.

Do a search on Dutch oven and check out all the cool recipes and set ups. Trick is to keep them well seasoned {oiled}. I don't use soap on mine.

6. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

I have a complete set. The dutch oven and a fresh roast cooked at about 200 degrees will tell you why.

7. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

Leadman has it right ,, Dutch oven cooking is a flavor of its own ,,I do mine over charcoal ,,the desserts done in it are second to none ,,There is a shooter at Spokane that does desserts for the shoots ,,sometimes,,They should be outlawed for their tastes ,,to good ,,,D. Lang

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Also......In case a bear attacks your campsite, you can grab your heavy skillet and beat that bear to death.

Not something you can do with those aluminum lightweight skillets. ;)

Hauxfan!

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

hauxfan you come up with the funniest sh--

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have several pieces of cast iron cook ware from my Grand Mother, Mother, and my wifes Grand Mother and Mother, this stuff has to be over 100 years old and cooks and looks like brand new ... Nothing made today compares to it for the absolute best tasting food ever ... You can fill it up and throw it in the fire until its done, wash it and your good to go ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Back in the day when granny got after you with a skillet, you best be a runnin.

12. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

And for those of us that have inherited Granny's 18 pc Griswold cast iron, we are sittin' on a bunch of money.

13. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

All the above plus if anything from the metal does get into the food it is good for you, unlike aluminum or teflon.

I have four well seasoned skillets, a griddle, two dutch ovens and a dutch oven table (for cooking with a three leg oven over coals).

You want the best roast...do it in cast iron and do it slow.

14. capvan

capvan Active Member

And cast iron melts lead real good for casting boolits...

I always clean mom's pots good when I'm done.

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Just finishing a pot of spare ribs and kraut, the meat is just now starting to fall off the bone.

Trim excess fat, Season ribs with a nice dry rub. bake on broiler rack at 350 for an hour or so to drain fat and brown well.

Remove ribs and cut down each bone, in dutch oven add layer of rinsed kraut apple wedges, diced onion and ribs bone and all. repeat layers and add about a half cup of brown sugar on top of it all, cover tightly.

Place in 250 oven, drink a beer, take a nap, when the ribs seperate from the bone it's done! Some fine eating comfort food on a brisk saturday.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Cast iron pots don't burn or warp when cooking over an open fire.

17. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

My wife hates them "they are too damn heavy" and so on and on. But she can't figure out why the same thing I make tastes better than hers.

I have all my grandmother's cast iron and that is all she ever used. They are worn so smooth and have that layer of carbon on the cooking surface Nothing sticks with a little oil. And she told me never wash them with soap for some reason. I use a copper or stainless scourer and hot water wipe dry and coat with oil. Just like the instructions for cleaning the steel hammered Wok I have.

I see what they sell in stores and as rough as they are I can understand why people hate them.

I got one years ago from some outfitter and I had to sand the bottom with 50 grit to start and stopped with 200 grit then compounded. You will need to season it also or it will stick like crazy. I used lard yes lard outside on the gasoline camp stove as high as it would go (yes it smokes bad) for hours. Man it gets black and hard too.

Rock

Jim

18. shadow

shadow Active Member

We have a set of stainless cookware somewhere out in the shed. It isnt allowed in the house because the "war dept" uses nothing but cast iron.

When we married,I had a full set, she had a full set, each of our now departed mothers had a full set that they had inherited from their mothers.

A little hint on careing for them---If your food ever starts sticking in one just put it in the self cleaning oven and after the cycle wipe it out and start the "seasoning" process anew. Be sure to oil the outside as well as inside.

Dont use soap on the because soap,especially detergent, removes the oil.

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Shannon...I have a big ol' venison roast here that I just pulled from th freezer...any way I can talk you into making some stew in your dutch oven???...The cornbread sounds real good too right now!

20. IMR 7625

IMR 7625 Member

FOOD TASTES BETTER WHEN COOKED IN CAST IRON

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.