Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cast at toe and heel

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Rollin Oswald 
#1 ·
Well, I would like some advice on stock adjustments. I am fiddling with a stock prior to having a custom one made. I know that I like the toe (bottom) of the butt of my stock cast more than the heel (top). I recently read a custom stockmaker (don't remember which one) describing their stocks as having an "X factor" which is apparently having the heel cast more toward the shooters centerline than the comb or even past center. I also know the term "twisted sister" to describe guns with extreme cast at the toe.
So, what do some of the experienced gurus here think? What type of cast is best for a trap gun? Is it different than for skeet or sporting clays? Why?
Regrads, Jake

#2 ·
Would really love to help Jake, but the answers to your questions would take a long time to cover, if done correctly, and then only be generalized answers that leave something lacking. It is very difficult to WRITE gunfit because there are no eyes looking at you and no hands on to help you correct an otherwise obvious problem that surely would be revealed in a hands-on fitting session. All I can offer is encouragment to seek a professional fitting and the a professional coach. You will learn more from each of them in an hour than you can discover on your own in a year of expensive trial and error. Yours in shooting, Todd Nelson

#4 ·
Jake,
Cant help with SO CAL fitter. We do have 2 mobile workshops covering 30 states. We have 1 shop that tours in Vegas, Phoenix, Tuscon AZ during Jan-Mar. Actually leaving today for the US OPEN skeet shoot in AZ. Will be in the area for 2 weeks or so. May be an option for a good fit on your try gun before the final copy is made. 256-360-2440 256-627-8420 cell Aaron Nelson is your contact. Yours in shooting, Todd Nelson

#5 ·
Jake:

Todd is absolutely correct, being one of the best stock fitters in the country.

The stocks you describe are two newer stocks that have come on the market in the last couple of years. In some ways they are just another way of doing the same thing, that of correctly fitting a shooter with a particular size and shape.

The best fitters, like Todd, will fit a stock to a correct shooting form. Other fitters fit a stock to the form you happen to be using when you arrive.

I agree that is best to be fitted for a custom stock rather than trying to determine on your own, what stock dimensions are necessary for a well fitting stock.

The "best" cast for trap is the cast that is to a great extent, dictated by your size and shape, using the correct shooting form (which you will need to remember and use after the stock is made.)

Yes, stock dimensions will differ for guns used for other shooting disciplines, not necessarily cast as much as with other dimensions.

I suggest you seriously consider visiting Todd when he is in Arizonia.

Rollin

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.