1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cash for Clunkers

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Trappy12, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Well it seems the government has a new plan to get the auto industry back on it's feet. Get up to $4500 for your lemon towards to a new car! Looks like it's bye bye to the 94 Explorer, and a big hello to a little MINI! I can see a downside of dealers taking advantage of this, and not offering the great deals that you can currently get on a new car, but it's still quite a program. Thoughts?
    -Trappy

2. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Trappy

You don't honestly think any dealer in this country is going to make a deal with a buyer then deduct the "cash for clunkers" estimated price of your old vehicle...do you?

3. Damifino

Damifino Member

Where is the gov't getting the $4500 per car on this deal?

4. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

Dam, You know where! You and I and the rest of the poor working slobs. Just another step toward the end.

Jimmy

5. Damifino

Damifino Member

Exactly - So what is so great about you and me buying cars for everyoen else. I can't afford to get a decent car for my kid.

6. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Jimmy

Your right! There is a reason GM and Chrysler is bankrupt and Ford's stock is close to worthless. The American car buyers have fallen for these scams one after another for as long as I can remember.

Interest free loans, cash back, rebates, and now cash for clunkers...what a joke. The buyer pays for all of this.

But as always you will still have people that will argue that cash for clunkers is a good deal and we all should do it...pitiful.

7. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I have already made a deal on this program and will take delivery after the 23 of this month.
    It is very involved and you must do research.You cars combined ( new EPA estimates ) gas MPG must be 18 mpg or less to qualify. Your car must be drivable and been licensed and insured for the past year straight.

Your purchase must be a 5 year buy ( or longer) and if you lease it must be a 5 yr lease. The only dealers I know that do 5 yr leases are Toyota.I called local GM dealers and they were not interested so I called Subaru,Volkswagon,Honda and Toyota-the only one who was interested and did a 5 yr lease was Toyota-and don't bust my balls about a lease as I have a business and charge the lease payment off as expense for the business.

Anyway I am trading a 91 chev caprice and getting 4500 voucher that the Fed govt pays to the dealer.

I already signed the paper work.

Not every car will qualify and some will only get 3500,then again some will get 4500. You must read all the info.

crab

8. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

See, I told you so!

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you think that's bad wait till you see what you will have to do for a colonoscopy.

HM

10. Damifino

Damifino Member

Crab - Congratulations! - The soup line ain't so bad when you give it a fancy name is it?

11. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Crab, you're Welcome!! I'm sure you wanted to say thank you to all the taxpayers on this site who helped pay for the $4500 toward your new car. Just a little oversight on your part.

12. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

You are correct,I need to say thanks. BUT all the other non working fools who will take them up on this deal get the same free ride.

Its out there and my trade will only sell on the lot for 1000 bucks tops. I just got 4500 off a car I was going to lease anyway.The trade gets scrapped.

I work 2 jobs every day and if I get something for free, from a democratic govt I am going to take it and run before the money for the program runs out.

If I don't take it some illegal who owns a car will. I worked for a living and will take what I can get.
    This car will replace my old car I use to drive to shoots. I can now save a few bucks on gas to spend on shooting.
    I was getting another car anyway.

Now tell me again why I should not take this deal ?

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Be sure to order the optional high lift horn button and have undercoating applied.

14. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

crab

Of course it is too late now with the same dealer, but you are most likely giving you old vehicle to them for nothing. I would be willing to bet within the first minute of talking to your dealer, he/she wanted to know if you were trading in or buying outright! The original cost of a new vehicle depends on your answer.

Any informed car buyer could knows this. The vehicle you have bought could have been bought outright, without trade-in, for close to the same price you paid plus your old car.

If you don't believe me, go to another dealer and make an all cash deal on the same vehicle then tell them at the end you are going to invoke the government voucher on a old vehicle you have. See what happens!

crap, you gave your vehicle to them I assure you.

15. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Why stop at free health care. Don't we also need cars, houses and food. And what about recreation. The government should fund my shooting. Shooting is very expensive and a burden on my family. Some people have to decide between health care and food. I have to decide between food and shooting. Sometimes I get very hungry. I would be willing to skip the car and put the 4500 toward targets.

16. Damifino

Damifino Member

Crab says: Now tell me again why I should not take this deal?

<i>I get the same free ride...</i> There is never a free ride - There is always a cost.
    <br>The financial costs are not your burden now. It is left to others to carry your weight. Why would you sentence the people of this country to do what is rightfully yor own burden? Is it just to have others labor on your behalf?
    <br>Now, it has become your job to return the favor and campaign for those who loot the wealth of others on your behalf. Clearly, you have taken to the task by posting here your admiration. You must continue to be a good soldier or risk losing what you have now come to expect.

There is nothing that can be taken or withheld from a man who stands upon his own two feet.

17. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

The government dolts have already budgeted for this program and will spend all the money and somebody was going to get the voucher that Crab used. Personally, I'd just as soon Crab get it as some brainless liberal.

18. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Damifino.....read my post.I said they get the same free ride,not I get a free ride.I work for a living and refered to those who do not work and they DO get a free ride on almost everything !! I have paid my own way and this program money comes from money I paid the govt over the years along with you and every other working man/woman.Your post doesn't wash-you make me sound like I don't have a job and live on welfare sucking you dry. Wake up.I pay what you pay in to the govt.Now I get a little back. Weather I get this deal or not we ALL will still pay in.If I walk away it changes nothing,except I pay higher price on monthly payments.

The bottom line here is this: I was looking to get a deal on a new lease vehicle,something good on fuel. My old car isn't worth much at all. I looked at all the lease deals and you need usually 2000 to 2500 down money.
    Now there is the cash 4 clunkers program-I trade my vehicle and get a 4500 voucher to use as down money on a 5 yr lease.That money lowers my monthly payment-nothing out of pocket-park my car and drive a new one away.

If I would make the deal without my car I would need 2499 down,out of pocket plus my payments would be almost 100 a month higher.The program is in place to save me some money and if I don't take it someone else will.

: markdenis Shopping for a new deal-I have done this many times before and I looked at the msrp and the dealer (was one where I have bought before and the salesman is a good friend & worked the figures off the dealer invoice. I called several other dealers to confirm this,both Toyota dealers and they both said I got a GREAT deal and it was off of the invoice. They said they could not or would not be willing to beat the deal.Remember this is a lease-not purchase.If it makes you feel better I used to wholesale cars to and from car auctions.I know the business.I still own the repair shop but no longer buy/sell.

And on second thought I do not owe anyone anything.I am a seasoned shooter like most of you.I am trying to make ends meet as best I can and still have something left to spend on shooting.I have paid the govt the same as you and maybe more from being taxed at two jobs.And I worked those 2 jobs for the last 29 years only taking time off once & a while to shoot or a week vacation when I can afford it-not once every year.I pay my taxes,I work,I vote,I help the community during the year.I put my son through college and had to borrow money to do it.Finally I get a deal where I catch a little break from the govt and you guys do nothing but whine. Someone will take the voucher so why not me since my lease deal fits the program.

So bash all you want.Doesn't take much for you guys to turn on one of your own.

19. STOS

STOS Member

Good job crab.I agree with you.

20. RedDood

RedDood TS Member

Actually the dealership puts in a request along with all required documentation to the Government and they send a credit for the amount of the voucher back to the dealer. Read about the program here. http://www.cars.gov

Shane

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.