1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Carter Spolar is going to kill me

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pigkiller, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I own the greatest reloading machine, a Spolar. I reload premium components, but lately the shot prices in Calif. ($45 a bag) have made me consider options. So I bought 50 pounds of reclaimed for $50. It looked pretty good, so I went for it. My coach thinks it's a bad idea, but what do you think? My dealer told me shot prices are expected to rise in the next few months.

2. high 2

high 2 Member

Don't, I've cost myself more in repair parts for my Spolar than I saved in loading reclaimed compared to the cost of new shot. Larry

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

My thought is the quality of the reclaimed. I know both Spolar's don't like reclaimed shot, but some of the quality I have seen looks really good....some not so much. My club has some reclaimed that I believe would load really well, but I am still living off old lead for now. Wish my crystal ball was working when I bought a ton, I would have bought 5.

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

As well he should. If u can afford a Spolar, u can afford new shot!

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I thought Spolar said reclaimed shot will not meter in their machines.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Sometimes I sure have trouble understanding logic.

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I use a Pacific, so no comment on Spolar or any other brand but have been using re-claim for a couple years now and can't see any difference back to the 23 after that I still don't notice much if any difference. That said I do use new for games as they sometimes get a little looooong distance. The shot that I've been using is nice & clean- re-graphited- and has been run through a magnetic separator goes through "my" loader just as well as new, I do pour it in a shallow pan and run a good strong magnet through it before putting in the hopper and do find steel shot but very little. Ross Puls

8. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Some reclaimed shot has rock chips with jagged edges that scratch the internals of the reloader, particularly in moving areas such as the charge bar, as well as when it goes out the barrel when fired.

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I would be worried about the gun barrel. Fred

10. Bill Sergent

Bill Sergent Member

Listen to your coach grasshopper !!

Bill Sergent

11. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Reclaimed=polished quartz rocks. Looks the same in your hand and shoots great...just be sure and not be worried about your gun.

12. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Well.....I've only loaded about 1500#s of leadminers reclaimed on my Spolar without any problems, so I guess the jury is still out. :)

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I know there is a high probability that some lead reclaimers do not do a good job.

I have been using reclaimed lead since 1992, and only recall a few foriegn objects in that time, one of which was a 22 rimfire bullet.

Much of what I used came from a pond, and is much less likely to have lighter stuff like pea gravel etc in it.

So the final word is that it depends on the miner and his equipment.

HM

14. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Although tempting, and in view of the comments above, I have decided to not put reclaimed through my Spolar. I'd rather lose $50 than risk hundreds in repairs and angst. Also, Bill Sergent and my coach never led me astray. Thanks, guys.

15. MACH4RANDY

MACH4RANDY Member

I am with Ken hundreds of pound of Leadminers thru spolar, no problem that relate to shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

spolar loader magnet