1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cart for moving clays...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ron Frazier, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

I belong to a small club where we currently move clays from a storage shed to the trap houses with an old wooden platform wheelbarrel (sp). We only move 5 or 6 boxes at a time, but this rickety contraption is a little tough. I was wondering if anyone uses a four wheel cart with pneumatic tires to do this. I'm looking for something that the older Gents can use easily when no one else is around and would like to get something fairly inexpensive, since I will probably buy it myself. I am looking at the Northern Tools Catalog right now but am looking for suggestions. Thank you.

2. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

Tractor supply has a good selection of carts, about the same as Northern Tools.

3. Bend Over

Bend Over TS Member

Ron, do you really need help with this ?????

BO

4. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

And nobody has a pickup truck?

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Place storage shed next to trap house.......just kidding. We keep our trap house well stocked. House and trap machine are bothed topped off at the end of shooting. We tend to stock up the house after 4th round(when machine needs filling)You will be surprised how many shooters get off their arse when a long delay may be present.. A pick up truck and 5 guys can move things along pretty quick. Not many shooters and no truck we have a golf cart that can load 10 cases for a quick fill.

6. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

BO:

No, I suppose I don't. I'll just let them use what they have. I have a pickup so it's not an issue for me. Not all of the "old timers" have trucks,though. I just wondered if there was a type of cart that was better suited for this than another type. I guess it was stupid of me to care about them struggling with clays when no one else is around. Maybe, once you get to an advanced age, you shouldn't be allowed to shoot unless accompanied by a younger person. Or we should tell them to stop shooting when the house is empty, rather than get hurt lugging clays. Yeah, this was obviously a STUPID question. In the future I will try to keep more on topic, things like illegal immigration,etc., and stay away from such non trap shooting things like a cart to help out the older guys. My mistake, please accept my apology.

7. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

We have the same issue. The answer is to buy a Golf Cart, but no one wants to spend the money. So, it's the few guys with trucks and a couple of pneumatic tired carts like movers use. After one of our many 70 year old and up members drops dead in the middle of July, then we'll get the Golf Cart.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

We use a pick up truck before the shoot begins. If additional birds are required during the shoot, we use a hand truck with the bottom extended about 12 inches with a welded piece of metal. This apparatus will easily carry 5 boxes.

Pat Ireland

9. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Thanks to Pat, Earl, and BTF,

This is all I was looking for. Something affordable that I could donate to the club to help out the Old Timers that have been so helpfull and supportive to the rest of us. I just figure that they are really the Heart of our sport, and if I can make it easier for them to stay independant they will shoot longer and enjoy themselves. Plus they are all very dear to me and I don't want to see any of them hurt.

Perhaps I should have named this thread, "What kind of cart do illegals use to move lettuce?" I probably would have got more responses. I really wonder about this site sometimes. I guess you have to become thick skinned and learn to skip over some of the responses.
    Again, Thank You.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Relax Ron, some times your just going to get $%^& for certain things. At our club its the old timers that will get all over you, and bust your nuts. All in good fun of course. The key is to make sure the house is loaded when their ar enough shooters and equipment around to make short order of it.

11. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Yeah, I know. When I do get a cart for my club, the old timers will probably ask if moving clays was too hard on me! But I know that they'll appreciate it. I just didn't like being being chastized for a simple question, that was meant to help other people out. I wonder how many simple questions aren't asked on here because of some of the Vultures? What may appear to be a stupid question to some is a real question to others. There are a lot of smart, helpful people on here, then there are the others. Well, I have to get to work.

12. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

One way (see above) but we have a steel wagon that we move our speakers on and someone always has a pickup truck at the club, myself included. Our storage is quite far from the trap and skeet houses, so a vehicle even a minivan is the answer. I see where we go the steel wagon from and post it.

Jerbear

13. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Ron see above, we have this we use for just about everything.

Jerbear

14. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Here ya go... Take your pick. Good Luck

Jerbear

15. LCC

LCC TS Member

Why not see that the traps and houses are loaded with targets by the "younger" guys after shooting so there is no need to haul them the next time. I also wondered if anyone had a pick up.

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We have several of those small wagons like FlaLagarto is talking about. We keep the CVR equipment for each house in a separate wagon and then after the field is set up, the wagon is used to haul targets (8 cases per trip) and load the houses. For bigger stocking jobs like during a shoot, we use a pickup.

17. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

The company that I worked for had two golf carts that they no longer needed. I got them to donate the carts to the club. We modified one slightly by removing the club holders in the back and installed a small wooden bed. Carries about 12-14 cases of birds.

They work great.

Mike

18. lumper

lumper TS Member

We just snag a couple of Maxicans from down by the 7-11 and they haul targets all day long for just a few dollars. We aint got to touch a box of targets all day and towards the end of the day for just a couple dollars more they will clean up the place and we got the best looking lawns on our fields in a 12 state area.

All this for a total of about $5 or $6 a weekend ... ya cant beet that deal at all!

19. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Thanks everyone! I'm on my way to Lowe's! This should make things easier for some of the "older Gents."

Lumper:

I stopped at the 7-11 and filled up the back of my truck.... These guys were not happy! Any suggestions on feeding or storage? Or is this a catch and release type thing?

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

Totally catch and release ... trust me ... when released from the house they will run faster than a chicken in Ethiopia when they see a bunch of geezers with shotguns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.