1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*Cars That Shimmied - Remember When?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Onceabum, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

This is probably not for the young. "Many" years ago I remember riding with my older brother and his old '31 Pontiac would shake so bad we often had to stop, let it settle down, then start over. But, that didn't keep him from getting girls. They thought it was cool.....after they got over their fright.

BB

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Kind of like when you get your 4x4 back on the black top after you just packed the wheels with mud? Happend last week to me...

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Loose kingpin bushings.

4. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

1976 Chevy 3/4 ton 4 x 4 farm truck with mud nylon tires. You would get off the gravel and onto the blacktop and once in awhile it would start shaking and the gear shift would almost break your right knee. If you had somebody with you, they would get intensely excited. It was like you were in a paint shaker.

5. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

The front end parts on those old cars wore quickly and the bias ply tires weren't the greatest. It is good they don't make them like they used to.

6. philk

philk Member

We had a 1970 IH Scout. Big time shimmy after any railroad track, always wearing out bushings in that thing. Did have a lot of fun with it.

7. hdskip

hdskip Member

What an interesting thread. I was using a set of piloted reamers today. they were orginally used to ream new king pin bushings. Came in a set in a wooden box. Brand name Blue Point.
    Gary

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Dog tracking ended with unitized bodys. It was a simple adjustment on the full frame vehicles. I did a lot of them and GM was the biggest offender

9. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

You all are forgetting the infamous Chevrolet Corvair ! !

10. Juno

Juno TS Member

Stole my Dad's truck once and drove it with the emergancy brake on the whole time. It was snowing the next time he got in it and when he applied the brake the left front brake grabbed and the rear end broke traction and flew out.

11. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

My '71 Chrsler would shimmy....I guess that was to be expected when the only tires I ever ran on it would come from the junk yard. I had a few that would blow out and a couple that the tread would peel off...mostly at higher speeds. I never balanced them...didn't have any money then.

Doug

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Don't forget the old hot rods with drum brakes.

I had a "modified" GTO that would do 160, but the brakes would fade out at about 90.

I was a kid, and thought I was immortal. I tested that belief several times.

13. trufan

trufan Member

I have a '67 corvair that I would like to sell. If you know of someone that may
    be interested send and pm to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.