1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CARS.GOV...owns your computer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BMC, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BMC

BMC Member

So.....if you want to cash in your clunker, you agree to the government owning your computer and everything on it??????

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RAOBlqUqUZ8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RAOBlqUqUZ8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

This will probably never make it on network news. If it does, it might be a good idea to buy some computer stock because there are going to be many trashed systems and people buying new ones.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

They have to go. Period. How many pukes do you think really understand what is REALLY happening here?

War is Peace

Love is Hate

Black is white

Big Brother loves you.

HM

4. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

I would say there is a good chance many other web sites headed by Hussein will cause the same results...we just don't know about them. Maybe all .gov websites.

5. Fathawk

Fathawk TS Member

This is coming from Glenn Beck?? Right?

Wow, just when you thought the idiots couldn't get any dumber.

So...the whole wiretapping thing that GW did, that's not as bad, right??

G Dubbya stomps on the Constitiution in the name of "national security" and it's OK, right?? Because it didn't make him ANY MONEY, or BENEFIT HIM..right????

This is a common disclaimer that EVERY GOVERNEMENT website puts up, even before the POTUS took office.

Get over it, Obama won, and you lost.

Glenn Beck is a STUPID, IGNORANT, MEDIA DRIVEN, IDIOT and a RACE BAITING SCUMBAG.

Once you realize this, we can have a real discussion.

6. halfmile

Fathawk, Dahaub, CharlesK80,and others of their ilk are very insecure people. They are like the bullies in grade school who get their jollies from causing distress to others.

Their problem is that it doesn't work here, because most of us have left our grade school mentality back where it belongs. Maturity has a habit of forcing this out.

But their masochistic tendencies make them stay, lusting for our attention.

Somone call the exterminator.

HM

7. over/under

over/under Member

How many attacks since 911?????? Seems the only policies working for the Messiah are Iraq and Afghanistan. Ohh wait those were Dubbyas policies.Shoot often while you can that is next.

8. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Liberals Suck.

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Always good to see that fathawk been munching on the U Cakes again!!

Curt

10. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"So.....if you want to cash in your clunker, you agree to the government owning your computer and everything on it??????"</blockquote>

No, you don't...

If you listen attentively to the beginning of Mr. Beck's ramblings, he says that the dealer pulls up the web site when you go to a dealership to turn in an old car. It will be the dealer's computer, not your own, that is effected.

Carol Lister

11. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Carol, when you buy a car under that program, I would think the dealer has to put your info into his computer, and therefore you become part of his data base opening you to exposure to government departments listed in the article. Bulge.

12. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

The problem here is not so much the CARS web site (since primarily dealers will be using this, altho I do wonder how many individuals have or will enter the site to check out info) but that if this procedure succeeds, how many other government web sites (Social Security, IRS, and hundreds of others in daily use by citizens) will adopt this fine print whereby those who access the site from personal computers will, in effect, allow the government total access to any and all personal information contained on their computers? Talk about warrantless searches! The Patriot Act has never been shown to have been used against U.S. citizens, despite repeated cries from the left (and I note that since Obama has been sworn in, there are no more editorials against it, no more cries from leftists about its supposed unconstitutionality, no more cries about invasions of privacy) but this government web site take over of personal computer information is absolutely and solely directed against U.S. citizens. Why no cries of outrage from lefties?

Jim R

13. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Fathawk: Did you go on the website to check it out? Maybe you should go on the website and see. Let us know. BT-100dc

14. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"Carol, when you buy a car under that program, I would think the dealer has to put your info into his computer, and therefore you become part of his data base opening you to exposure to government departments listed in the article."</blockquote>

Bulge, believe me when I say that the government does not need to stoop to a cash-for-cars ploy to make you part of any data base it keeps.

<blockquote>"...but that if this procedure succeeds, how many other government web sites (Social Security, IRS, and hundreds of others in daily use by citizens) will adopt this fine print whereby those who access the site from personal computers will, in effect, allow the government total access to any and all personal information contained on their computers?</blockquote>

That's why firewalls exist. The computer crowd that works for the government isn't any smarter than the folks who develop firewalls and network protection for the industry. The government doesn't possess any secret technology that will allow them unbridled access to a home system.

Lister

15. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

The government don't have to use any special technology to get past your firewall. You open it up and let them in when you push accept.

16. halfmile

i don't care what anyone says, I wouldn't click that button for anything.

Much less the chance for them to destroy my rebuilt 350 with 20K on it.

HM

17. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

I'd be glad to say "yes" to making my computer government property- so long as I'm using Fartbird's computer.

18. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

"That's why firewalls exist. The computer crowd that works for the government isn't any smarter than the folks who develop firewalls and network protection for the industry. The government doesn't possess any secret technology that will allow them unbridled access to a home system"

There are several things wrong with this statement. First, by logging on to the site, you in effect open the door for access to your computer They could also leave tracking cookies, so your firewall is little, if any protection in this case. Second, by the terms of the statements, you are granting access, so it is totally legal in the governments eyes. Thirdly, there are systems and programs that can bypass or defeat your home firewall in seconds if someone really wanted to. Witness how often high level bank as well as Defense Department computers get hacked. But they simply would not need to if you "grant permission and ownership" as CARS reqires. Being naive about what can be done will not protect your data.

19. halfmile

A keylogger for those that frequent conservative sites, getting them on the watch list for Obama's "internal security force." Yes, they could.

Oy veh.

HM

20. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"First, by logging on to the site, you in effect open the door for access to your computer"</blockquote>

If that's what happens when YOU log onto a site, you disparately need a better firewall.

<blockquote>"They could also leave tracking cookies, so your firewall is little, if any protection in this case."</blockquote>

Tracking cookies are harmless. Persistent data miners could be an issue but they can be blocked or are removable if you know where to look for them. The technology exists right now to defeat the threats that are currently available. I use them on my own systems and as the threats change, the technology will be adapted to it.

<blockquote>Second, by the terms of the statements, you are granting access, so it is totally legal in the governments eyes.</blockquote>

Now think about what you said here... If you actually read the Terms and Conditions (which most people admittedly don't) and you click "Accept" giving a third party access to your computer even though they tell you up front that they're going to take it, don't you think it's YOUR fault if they breach your system??

<blockquote>Thirdly, there are systems and programs that can bypass or defeat your home firewall in seconds if someone really wanted to.</blockquote>

Honestly, I think you've been watching too much NCIS. Defeating a firewall isn't as simple as you make it out to be, especially a good one. Most firewall breaches occur because the user allows it. Corporate networks get breached because they offer many more levels of access than a home system. These change daily and create occasional unprotected accesses for crackers. A home system with only a few accesses to the internet is actually more secure than a larger network system unless the user opens a window open.

Carol Lister

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.