1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Carry overs ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gordy h, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordy h

gordy h Member

Why in a small 2 day shoot do they seem to have carryovers in sted of a shoot off the same day? Some shooters may have to travel,or may have to work,go to church, or attend another club the next day. I have been to a few clubs lately when all events were over by 4 in the afternoon,lots of time for shoot offs.
    But you have to stay overnight or come back the next day.I under stand in a state type shoot, when time runs short, But not in a small 2 day shoot. Whats your thoughts on the subject? Let your clubs know your feelings. Butch H

2. FLIP

FLIP Member

so they get your money the next day.

3. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I come from and help run a small Ohio club and I think carry-overs STINK. It being listed in the shoot flyer/brochure makes little difference. It still STINKS. I can see it at the very large shoots but not at small ones. Just a shameful way to gouge more dollars out of us shooters. A well run shoot will generate its own crowd. Just my opinion.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If "Carryover Shootoff" format is clearly written in the program...where's the intelligent complaint?

Curt

5. JB Logan Co. Ohio

I'm under the belief/assumption that they run a good shoot to the best of their ability. I think that all club management strives to do the same. I believe the carry-over practice is wrong personally as I've been caught up in it. It is not often that I shoot good enough to be in a shootoff class-wise or other-wise. I REALLY hate to "lose" by not being able to make the next day's shoot. It is not often I can free up the schedule to make two consecutively shooting days available. Best of luck and success to all small clubs everywhere!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

6. gordy h

gordy h Member

I'm not BITCHING about Any club, I am just stateing my opinion,and asking how others feel about it. The clubs you mentioned I have never shot at. I did attend a shoot at Eau Clarie where it was a 2 day shoot, but were the Greater Midwest Mercantile saturday Aug 2 and the Archer Lion Classic on Sunday Aug 3.I could not attend Sunday,and am voiceing my feeling. But thanks for your input,and it sounds like others agree with me. Butch H

7. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

I was involved in club operation for several years. Most first day scores were carried over. But we also checked with the shooters involved to see if that was satisfactory. If it was not then we would hold the shootoff. With few exceptions most shooters preferred to carry over, especially in 16's. - Jim

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Perhaps some of it is shooter-driven. With the cost of shells lately, some of our shooters have requested carryovers rather than burn up additional boxes of shells in a shootoff.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Carry overs should apply to AAA and AA shooters only. Less gifted shooters from that point down in class have their "hot" day in the sun, one day at a time. Those shooters may break a really good score today and fall on their azz the next. Carry overs benefit the highest average shooters 99.9 % of the time. That does away with Joe Blows hot day for breaking good scores the next.

I agree with Jerry B.. Carry overs in general sux for the average ATA shooter while favoring the higher class and highest average shooters. Hap

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

jim_kneecricket you said "The idea is to increase the number of shooters attending the registered shoots at Delavan. It's in the COMBINED program and you should have read it! Delavan has been struggling with attendance and you should be supporting and applauding both clubs especially the Janesville club with it's effort to support another club instead of you bitching about it. I think it's an innovative way to help a sister/brother club out!"

I must agree it is an innovative way to help a sister club. However it is flawed and if no one likes the format they may be cutting their own throat as soon as the shooter that don't support this format stop coming. Not only will Delavan be struggling so will Janesville. I don't see Butch's comments as bitching I see it as a wake of call to these clubs if they offend any more shooter they won't get any shooters.

This is not how I feel personally, but I do understand. If Shooter Q can only attend on Saturday and shoots well enough to get in the shoot off. Why would he try to justify ever shooting at that club again? Or why would he want to? He shoots a good score and the club tosses it in the trash. Not a good way to promote a larger clientèle. Think about it.

Bob Lawless

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I hate carry overs, I always seem to loose by one bird.

12. Ljutic Guy

Ljutic Guy Member

I agree with JB and Butch. I hate carry-overs. I also hate 200 singles split over 2 days.
    If you only have time or money to attend 1 day you are screwed.

13. JB Logan Co. Ohio

I am not opposed to paying for shoot-off targets, flbuck makes a good point about the cost of shootoff targets that the small (or any for that matter) club must eat. We settle ties with a reverse long run. I limped into last Sunday's trophy with a reverse long run of exactly 3!!! I think 4 of us were tied. It wasn't pretty but it was a win.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

14. betterlatethennever

betterlatethennever Member

We don't list carryovers in our program. We give shooters the option to carry over. If all involved agree then we will carry over otherwise for Butch's sake, we will shoot 'em off. Carry overs make life a lot easier for a small club and can save a small amount of money.

15. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

As a shooter, I agree with Hap and Jerry. Shooters with lower class cannot duplicate their efforts on a following day and will (most likely) be beaten in the carry-over.

As a sometimes member of shoot management, I will say that targets and help have to be paid for - but I don't really care about that - that money is the Associations money. But I can't go home until winners have been determined. I am a volunteer and I really would like to leave, because unlike the participants, I have to be back early in the morning (and work).

Our association has never used carry-overs as a tool to try and increase attendance on following days. Thinking like that is silly. Ties do not affect big numbers of people - therefore will not impact overall attendance.

Another tidbit - if you don't like carry-overs - do better in the event.

16. jlb

jlb Member

A problem with cary overs in handicap occurs when a shooter earns yardage on the first 100. Thus they are required to shoot for a “prize” from a yardage longer than the yardage from which their original score was established.

17. JB Logan Co. Ohio

SIDE BAR QUESTION:

Do shootoff targets count as registered targets? It's one of those questions that make one go "Hmmmmm"

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

18. gordy h

gordy h Member

Thanks Paul in Minn.
    You hit it on the head, The reason I started this is I tyed With our Wis. state champ And would have been proud to shoot off with him.(a great guy)It was my 5 min. in fame. Butch H

19. shoot the hill

shoot the hill TS Member

I don't like carry overs! Anybody check the price of gas to drive back the next day or get a room? By the way if you win in Jansville plan on driving back to get your money they don't send anything in the mail. More gas wasted.

20. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Carry overs are BAD for the sport on many levels. Carry overs should ONLY be used at the State shoot level program and up........no exceptions.

GS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.