1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Carry law in Illinois Question?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pw1, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pw1

pw1 TS Member

My question is, my wife is going to Chicago in a month or so. We live in Oklahoma and she has a Carry Permit here. She can cross Missouri without any problem but what must she do to be legal in Illinois?
    Can she simply put the gun in the trunk or back of the SUV unloaded or what?
    Any info would be appreciated
    Paul

2. pw1

pw1 TS Member

She is actually going to Urbana, Ill. not Chicago. I understand it's about an hour flite from Chicago. I'm not that familiar with the area.
    I want her to be able to protect herself but I don't want her to get in trouble either.
    Paul

3. obfd13

obfd13 Member

Try this link to the firearms section of the Illinois State Police website.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

what good is it unloaded in a case, unless the case has a long strong strap and ahe can swing it hard.

5. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

She is not allowed to carry in Illinois ... plain and simple ... and that, from what I understand of the law also includes the vehicle. The best bet is lock it in the back of the vehicle (unloaded of course) and tell her to prey the evils of the world do not attack.

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Mr. Newbius, you've got the wrong idea about the law here in Illinois. You can carry a firearm in your car as long as it's unloaded and cased. Ammunition can be carried as well just needs to be other than in the gun.

7. EDGARMCM

EDGARMCM TS Member

Welcome to the land of Dick (Turbin) Durbin, Richie Daley, Rod Blagojevich, & Barack Obama. All four never met a gun control law that they did not like

8. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Bruce ... an unloaded cased gun is nothing more than a paperweight and in an emergency I guess you could throw the paperweight at the evils and hope they fall down from uncontrollable fits of laughter instead of blowing you out of excistence with there guns that they are illegally carrying.

Now just as a thought ... if the lady is a law abiding citizen and will not be doing anything wrong so as to have to be searched and all why does she just not go along status quo and such and just carry as normal?

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The gun must be: (1) unloaded (2) cased (3) not accessible. That means you cannot have it in a console, glove compartment, under the seat. If it is a conventional car, it must be in the trunk. An SUV or Hatchback, it can be in the back of the vehicle, but not reachable by the driver.

10. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Dick -

I challenge you to find me the state statute that requires the gun be "not accessible". It's a myth.

You can have your firearm on the seat next to you, or on your lap for that matter, as long as it's in a case and unloaded. The magazine (in the case of a 1911 style handgun) can be in the same case.

Scott

11. Bruce Specht

Mr. Newbius your correct an unlaoded gun s nothing more than a paperweight. As I've always said " rather be caught with it than with out it"

12. Dickgshot

Scott:
    An Illinois resident transporting a gun must have a valid FOI and have the gun unloaded and properly cased.

A non-resident transporting a firearm through Illinois must comply with the rule for cased firearms plus an additional requirement that the gun not be accessible.
    Source: Illinois State Police brochure on the legal transportation of firearms.

13. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Why not leave the thing at home or is it needed for some mental calming reason caused by an overly exaggerated case of everyday fear of the world.

What I find most funny is with the 1 in a Quatragazillionite chance of it ever needing to pulled and used that most would be lost in the moment and bobble the entire thing and before they realized it the situation would be over or they would be dead and possibly there own gun would be used to kill them.

14. Dickgshot

Mr. Newbius: You have just opened the floodgates. The post will come cascading in, and they won't be friendly. How do you do that (c) thing? See, I can't do it.

15. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

To do the © you must have the magical powers that are bestowed only upon those who have studied long and hard at the fine art and taskery of Character Mapping and/or cutting and pasting.

Do not worry grasshopper ... it was not easy to learn at first for me either but if you desire lessons please send 1 flat of Rio Top Trap32 for the first of many lessons to follow so that you to may have the magical powers.

16. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Dick -

I see on the ISP website that they "recommend" someone from out of state carry their firearm where it is not accessible, but I couldn't find anything in the statues that required that or differentiated between a resident and non-resident. In most cases in the statute the firearm had to be cased and unloaded OR not accessible but I didn't find anything that required all of them at the same time (outside of the "recommendation" on the ISP FAQ list.

Do you know of the statute that requires non-residents to have their firearm cased, unloaded, AND not accessible?

Scott

17. Ethan Pierce

Ethan Pierce TS Member

Gota have it unloaded in a case. The clip can be right beside it and anywere in the car.

18. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

One of the problems is law enforcement dosent understand the laws either. I got pulled over by the Illinois State Police on my way to shoot at Downers Grove near Morris Il. I was on 80/94 coming from the east and the speed limit drops right by the river in Joliet. It was a Sunday am and I had the truck on cruise control no traffic etc. Well he got me, he walked up, license, proof of insurance etc then he noticed the flat of 12ga in the back seat. "whats all that ammo for?" You got a gun in there? Out of the truck!!

I had a hard cased Beretta 686 Top Single behind my seat on the floor(broke down). Anyways he treated me like I was going to do drive by's with a single shot gun. Threatened to take me to jail for illegal transport. This was about 5 years ago. Hopefully things are better now, I'll stay over here in Indiana.

19. Bruce Specht

Some years ago I had a similar experience to Sarge 75X, I was pulled over by a local municaipal officer and was asked for lic, Insurace card, I open the glove box to get my insurace card and there, a box of AA's. The officer syas what are they doing in your car? My response" nothing at the moment but hopefully breaking clay tagets later tonight" his response" I don't like seeing that" I said to him that wasn't my probelm as it's legal for me to carry ammunition any where in the vehicle after a heated debate he gave me my license and insurance card and sent me on my way. Know the law if your empowerd to enforce it!

20. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Just talked with IDNR Officer at Sparta and he said "unloaded and cased and the clip can be loaded and in the same completely zipped or latched case, although some Officers may view the rules differently".
    Hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.