1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Carry gun 1911 Pretty

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by CalvinMD, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Very nice!,..what finish is the frame done in?

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Just my opinion, but that front and rear sight along with the beavertail are all snag points for a carry gun.

3. cnsane

cnsane Member

As long as we're all critiqueing your handiwork: That's not a carry design. Have you ever carried something in that configuration as a tool. For a half a decade. Every right angled edge on that thing should be beveled with a file. The shortcomings of the sights have been pointed out and the fact they're not tritium is a glaring error on a carry piece for at least one third of every day. The light rail doesn't help do anything but chew up a holster and with a light attached it makes a nice focal point for everyone else to aim at in the dark while effing your night vision as you toggle it. No ambi safety will not allow any left handed options when you are grappling with someone over control of your weapon. And a butt pad on the mag for a carry gun. If you need a fast reload on a hi-cap frame then you have more serious problems than a spare clip is going to solve. You did nice work building a toy, but carry gun is a misnomer. I probably sound overly critical because I recently had an incident with my Colt Officers. I'll shaddup now.

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Yeah Mike a .380 LCP would be a better choice for carry. lol.

Very nice 1911, I would not want to be on the business end of that one. If you built it, I know it would go bang every time and shoot straight.

5. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Great winter project and the money sounds about right. The Bo-Mar rear sight and Dawson Precision front sight is an excellent combination.

Robert

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

[​IMG]

This is my current favorite. Match trigger, night sights,Tripp mags, heavy melt. {26 OZ.}

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a few more. Nothing special but accurate and reliable. They carry decent.

8. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I love the gun Mike, looks really cool.

But Shannon, I can really see what you're talking about in your pics. I learned something today.

9. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

CNSANE...
    Apparently you have never worked in an environment where target identification was essential.

when you say "The light rail doesn't help do anything but chew up a holster and with a light attached it makes a nice focal point for everyone else to aim at in the dark while effing your night vision as you toggle it." How would you propose identifying a target in a low light environment?

I can tell you first hand, in my line of work you better be 100% sure of your target before you pull the trigger, im not sure how you would propose doing that in the dark without a light. If you use proper tactics lights can be an invaluable tool. BTW, what good does tritium sights do if you cant see your target? SO you can see your sights and dont know where youre firing.

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Nice carry gun,

12+1 in .45 Is huge firepower. Your guns are fine examples of craftmanship.

Looks like a labor of love I could get into.

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Still waiting on my new S&W DK Mike.... maybe I should have stuck with building one as I'd be shootin by now.

Guy B.

12. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Very nice guns.

13. Dnotarianni

Dnotarianni Member

Nice gun but as a civilian that carries on a regular basis my personal thought and habit is to only carry a cheap stock gun. My lawyer and myself don't want to get into a pissing contest in court about carrying a weapon that was built for "enhanced killing potential" or any of the other liberal bullshit catch terms. First of all any justifiable shoot you get into better be 7-10 yards or less. Any more than that and you are the attacker. Second in any shoot your going to loose the gun to the cops no matter what. Third at 7 yards do you really need sights for center of mass? Last always carry ammo marked or sold as personal protection or defensive, never hand loaded. The only legitimate reason to pull your weapon out as a civilian is because you were in fear for you life.

Just my 2 cents worth from RI.
    Dave

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

cnsane,
    Maybe a bit harsh; but I tend to agree with you.

Shannon391,
    I have the same gun and never it carry anymore. A match trigger is not a good idea on a carry gun for the vast majority of us who are pissing our pants when the BG's need to be dealt with. Clint Smith may be trained and have practiced enough - I haven't.

PPB,
    Very nice work. Just not suited to the job at hand.

Hard to beat an XD in .45ACP for about half the price if you can carry a big gun - or a Kahr if a smaller format is needed. DOA triggers that are the same for every shot, have a reasonable travel and are relatively smooth.

Don Verna

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I never thumb the safty or put my finger in the guard until I'm ready to fire, so the match trigger does not scare me. I trained for years like this with my old BHP in the pic above.

I also had the pull reduced on the M&P to a crisp 3.5 lbs. I also carry It cocked and locked although it has no external hammer.

16. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I hope your wearing suspenders when you carry that hog leg.
    There are much better choices for concaled carry than a
    full size 1911 especially one with a light rail.

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

Mike is right about getting the gun that works best for "you". That is one reason I started carrying a Kimber - I love 1911's!!

With the minimal tactical training I received, it became obvious that even though I shot the Kimbers well (I had three), it was not the right carry gun for me. I have a habit of putting my finger on the trigger as the gun comes up. It is a reflex action I cannot seem to break. So "target" triggers are bad juju for me.

I hope no one was offended - my point was the most of us are not good enough or well enough trained to carry a 1911 with a crisp 4 lb trigger. The chances of an AD go up.

I envy the work Mike has done on his project gun. It took me an hour to install Tru-Glo TFO sights on an XD and I managed to bugger up the bluing on the slide. This is further proof that I should not carry a gun with a good trigger. LOL.

I really, like those night sights. Thankfully, they install much easier than taking the factory sights off.

Don Verna

18. sandyman

sandyman TS Member

You folks sure know guns. I like to carry a S&W 38 Airweight 5 shot revolver with enclosed hammer. I carry it in the front pocket of my jeans with NO holster. I can get it out fairly quick with no hang ups and it doesn't print. Am I doing the best I could with this CCW? I have a PW 40 cal Kahr that I have never shot. I just trust the revolver more. Suggestions? Thanks gentlemen.

19. dverna

dverna Active Member

Sandyman,

Is the Kahr reliable? Shoot 200 rounds and see if it jams.

If it passes, consider it a worthy gun. If not, change ammo, or get it worked on or get rid of it.

If it passes the 200 round test, pick the gun you shoot the best and are most comfortable with.

If it is still a tie, pick the Kahr. More firepower and quicker reloads.

Just my $.02

Don Verna

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Hamerless Airweights IMHO are harder to shoot accuratly due to stiff double action triggers, being light they bark a little harder and are slower to reload. ( however, very handy, simple and reliable.}

The Kahr you own is a very good gun, you wear an inside the pants holster for deep cover or an outside the pants for more comfort, (just have to dress around it a little].

I might be wrong to endorse a lighter trigger for CCW but I like to shoot my carry guns often- targets and critters as I'm in the country.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.