1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Carpul Tunnel Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shootman, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootman

shootman TS Member

Had surgery March 12. Went back for follow up on the 26th. Doctor said every thing looked good , no heavy lifting or putting hand in a major strain for 3 to4 weeks. He said I can shoot but no heavy duty pistols for at least a month, and dont shoot excessively for the first couple of months. Question is to anybody out there that had this done, what is excessive. Is it safe to shoot a hundred birds at a registered event or should I not yet. Its my trigger hand. I have to do the other hand this winter. BOB

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I had the surgery a few years ago, can't remember how long before shooting but I remember my doctor telling me that the pain would tell me when it was OK to do some shooting. If the pain isn't too bad then you can't do any damage to the hand. Good Luck!

3. Loyac

Loyac Member

Do exactly as the Doctor advises. Otherwise you will prolong your full recovery period. During open carpal tunnel release surgery, the transverse carpal ligament is cut, which releases pressure on the median nerve. The gap where the ligament was cut needs time to fill up with scar tissue.
    John

4. mjsweims

mjsweims Member

I had this done a few years ago (the one where they opened it up, not just the roto-rooter kind). I don't remember when I started shooting afterwards, but I just let the pain level determine what I would do. If you shoot and start to feel something unusual or painful, stop. Your grip will have a large effect on how much impact is transferred, so keep thinks loose.
    Jack

5. capvan

capvan Active Member

My doctor told me to do things "as tolerted. If it hurts, stop doing it. This philosoply has done well through 4 major surjeries and two carpal tunnels fixed. If it hurts, stop. your body is very good at telling you what you can and cannot do. Everyone is different. Problms happen when you try to ignore the pain and 'tuff it out". Now now you are asking for trouble. And remember dr's are very consertative.

Tnnel surgery is very easy. Recovery is about 3 days. There are docs out there that do only carpal tunnel surgery, these are the ones you want to search out.

Bruce

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Check out the "Brown Carpal Tunnel Surgery Group." Less invasive.

7. Collector

Collector TS Member

Just to be clear, what follows is NOT medical advice...I'm a good doc but even I cannot diagnose or treat over the internet. Okay, lawyers are happy so we can proceed.

If you're status post median nerve decompression, yes, by all means do exactly as your physician says. That said, you might also consider getting yourself a neutral position wrist splint (you likely already have one if you have CTS) and wear it religiously the night after the shoot. You would also do well to consider putting a bag of frozen peas on your wrist (palm-side up) for 10 minutes on, 50 minutes off, once or twice just before bedtime.

The ice will decrease inflammation in the area, and the neutral position wrist splint will help keep you from flexing the wrist while you're sleeping which can exacerbate the median nerve/carpal tunnel inflammation.

But again, if your doctor says otherwise, listen to him, not me.

My two cents.

Best wishes to you.

8. BAP

BAP TS Member

I had both done in 2001 and was shooting in 3 weeks. Just don't push it. Bill Parson Jr.

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Had it done a couple of years ago.

Doc said to wait until I had the stitches out and then give it about a month, and then use the hand.

I did notice a weakening in thumb-little finger gripping ability, but now everything is fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.