1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Carpenter Bees HELP ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by amboy49, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Carpenter bees are eating nice little 3/8" round holes in my soffits ! Solutions ?

2. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Boric acid...

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I use a badmitton racket and practice on them. It's actually fun. Jackie B.

4. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

The orkin man,a fanchise that rids of pests.I had carpenter ants driving me nuts,he fixed it.Still good years later.

5. oz

oz Active Member

vinys siding.... I used to shoot them with 22 shotshells. just don't hit the house. oz

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have a log home and the carpenter bees just love it.

There is only one solution to carpenter bees - KILL THEM ALL!!

Here are my methods:

1. Bad mitten Racket is quick and effective.<BR>
    2. A smooth-bore .22 and shot cartridges are effective on the further away critters.<BR>
    3. Dustick and Drione Dust powder. The Dustick will reach bee holes that are 21 feet high. You pump the Drione Dust into the hole and the bees die when they come in contact with the dust. The hole becomes a trap that will kill any bee that enters it. If the bee has laid eggs the dust will kill the larvae when they hatch. This is the best passive way to kill bees.

Some carpenter bee facts:

The male bee cannot bite or sting. He will fly at and into you to try to drive you away but he cannot bite. The female bee can bite but only if you try to handle her with your hands.

A carpenter bee will not drill holes in a painted wood surface because they cannot tell that it is wood. Apparently the paint covers up the grain of the wood. They will drill into stained wood and treated wood.

Jim Skeel

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Go up on a ladder with a pellet rifle and just shoot a blast of air in the hole with no pellet. It blows them apart. The bastards even bore holes in my pressure treated deck which I always thought was treated with poisonous chemicals.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Jim Skeel---Good theory on the paint but not true. At least it didn't deter the bee's here. I have holes everywhere in my painted wood soffits. Didn't bother them at all. I have given up and we are having vinyl siding and soffits installed this fall. Between them and the darn woodpeckers my cedar siding looks like crap. I give...

9. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

About 15 years ago I had a problem with bees coming in through a crack between the foundation and the siding so I rigged up my shop vac with some duct tape and secured it next to the hole.

I admit that I have never had so much fun listening to the humm of the shop vac and watching my wife's face as the whole hive popped into the vac just like popcorn...A couple hours and a shop vac with a long hose should just about do it!

TNCoach

10. grntitan

What you do with the bees once they are in the Shop Vac? Sounds like you just moved the problem. Now its in your Vac that stays in the house or garage.

11. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

My plumber does the same thing with a shop vac. After he is done. Hes shoots bug spray into the shop vac. Kills them all.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    And the irony is we have to put up drilled wood boards to try to attract carpenter bees.

13. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Brian, out of curiosity. Why would you want to attract them. I have been fighting them for years. J.W.

14. willsweptline

willsweptline Member

I've tried caulking up the holes, but they eat their way out. My solution was a Remington model 12 with the routledge smoothbore for .22 shotshells. I liked the blue tipped CCI's better than the crimped brass Winchesters, quiter and not as much penetration. With the proper gun (Routledge bore, forget the regular smoothbore) it's more fun than any shooting sport. Works good for those angry paper wasps and mud doubers, too.

15. skeeljc

You had better pattern the blue tipped CCI shot cartridges. Often the blue capsule retains the shot so well it never lets go of it. You end up with a single projectile instead of a pattern. The all brass Federal shot cartridges work the best. You do have to clean the bore periodically to remove the lead build-up however.

Jim Skeel

16. skeeljc

Don't fall for any of the so called "Carpenter Bee Traps". They do not work.

The best way to eliminate the pests is to locate their hole and put the Drione Dust in it. That is the only trap that works.

Success is all about reducing the local population.

Jim Skeel

17. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

An exterminator told me to use Sevin dust to get rid of the bees. It works and is available in most lawn centers as a way to treat flowers and vegetable plants.

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I prefer using my M-60...neighbors don't like it, but what the hay!!

FEAB9

Curt

19. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

We had carpenter bees invade our house through a breach in the vinyl siding and take up residence in the wall. They must have become curious because they drilled a hole in our upstairs bedroom and started investigating the house.

When they attacked my wife we found the hole in the ceiling they had cut. I got out 2 hot-shot canisters, got on a step-ladder and blasted both cans in through the hole.

It was amazing the effect it had on the hive. It sounded like we had a V-8 hemi running wide open in the wall. The next morning all was still and gone and/or dead were the bees.

Michael Stephenson

20. grntitan

I know Carpenter Bee's do not sting very often. The female is the only one capable of stinging(typical woman). They must be severly provoked before they will take that action. My dad cut through a picece of wood on his table saw that was infested. He felt the rath of many female Carpenter Bee's. The males are actually all black with a white spot on their head. I haven't tried the Seven Powder yet but will get some today. We have a Bug Zapper Fly Swatter and it works much like the tennis racket. Fun little gadget.
    grntitan_2009_2503125.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

carpenter bee racket game

shop vacuum for carpenter bees