1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Carpel tunnel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BudsterXT, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I had my surgery today, and all is good.

I am planning on shooting saturday with my cast on.

My cast hand is my left, so I will be semi resting/holding it. My stock/ trigger is in my right paw.

I plan for 25/ 25 but will be happy if I get 24/25

Kenny Uhlbeck

2. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

You can do it Kenny, a very good shooter at our club just rests his gun forearm on the top of his left hand which is made of plastic or rubber. He doesn't grip it at all, it just sets there. He lost the hand and part of his arm below the elbow. It's great to see how well a guy can adapt to misfortune.
    Carey

3. high 2

high 2 Member

I have my left hand done Friday, and the right 2 weeks later. I`m sure not wanting to, but my left hand has become almost useless. I hate getting cut on. I didn`t know they put you in a cast. Oh well, Larry

4. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Well, the cast is like a bottom of the arm deal wrapped up with an ace bandage, so I can't get any thing hitting the incision on my palm.

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Why would you do that! Are you DUMB! You will be able to shoot the rest of your life, let it heal. I had this surgery. jmho Bill

6. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

DUMB, that can be debated. That is one mule that has been whipped already. Just ask my Dad......

Well, maybe ignorant, but only a lil bit stupid.

The doctor said to use my fingers, and not to do any major lifting or exerting.

Just letting my forearm of my gun rest on my outstreched arm and sort of grasping it seems like a decent exersize.

I have been doing gun lifts all day since I got home.

The numbness is subsiding cept for my brain....

It was not my trigger finger/ stock arm.

Kenny Uhlbeck

7. TC

TC TS Member

Kenny, when I had mine done I was told not to lift anything heavier than my zipper. Didn't listen, big mistake!!! Exercising your fingers is fine, but I wouldn't lift anything at all. Tony

8. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

You two are most likely right. (Bill and TC)

Hell, I got 6 weeks off of work.

So waiting a few weeks to shoot should be the right thing to do.

Thanks for talking some good advice into the space between my ears!

That is doing something.

Kenny Uhlbeck

9. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Seriously, you need to wait at least one more week. I have been through this and I know! What is one more week???? Please wait. Jack

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

The one thing I noticed with my RH carpel tunnel post surgery, was that my ability to touch my pinkie finger to my thumb was really, really, weak, if I could do it at all. I couldn't hold a piece of paper between the two.

After a while swinging a hammer seemed to help me regain my strength.

I never had a cast, just a wrap. The surgery was worth it, tho.

My next door neighbor was a surgeon (plastic and reconstructive), but he didn't do it. Actually, one of my past advanced math students, now a surgeon did it. My neighbor doc told me one day while I was mowing his property, that doctors should do carpel tunnel surgeries free gratus. He said is was such a simple surgery that with all they make, it would be a great service to the public.

Well, it ain't free, that's for sure, but it was a surgery that relly helped my trigger finger.

Whiz

11. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Do not go shooting. Way too soon. I had my left hand done and was told not to lift anything heavy. No problem since I'm right handed.

About a week after surgery I was lifting something substantial with my right hand and started to loose my grip so I instinctively caught it with my freshly surgerized left hand.

I was in agony for weeks. My whole left arm turned purple. It's just not worth it to take a chance.

Right now I am recuperating from having the right hand done. It's a much easier recovery since I learned my lesson the first time and have been very careful.

12. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Thanks for the advice fellas.

I will pay attention and wait up on the shooting.

The numbness is already gone and waiting on the healing.

The paw is sore today as it should be, I think the anesthesia and med's was making me feel ten foot tall and bulletproof yesterday!

Going to take it easy and watch my kid shoot (soon as I ain't freezing the arse off) and just shoot the bull for a bit.

Kenny Uhlbeck

13. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

You will be good to go before you know it. Good decision on your part. I had mine done on rt hand in 92 and it has been great ever since. To many years of slaming on hub caps with the heel of my hand. DUMB! Good luck, heal up, shoot well. Bill

14. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I had my right hand done. It took 4 week before I could shoot. Wait the time will go by fast.

15. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Budster a funny story about the carpel tunnel surgery is that one evening at a meeting one of my coworkers shows up with both wrists wrapped up and when asked about it says he just got out of the hospital and had both surgeries done at the same time so he could go back to work after healing for six weeks. I asked him how he planned on unzipping his pans and he just looked at me and with the immobilizers on his wrists how was he going to wipe himself. Again he just looked at me and then said "I sure am glad my wife loves me." Those zippers are hard to get down with just the tips of the fingers showing out of those casts. He had a heck of hard time of it and would always advice the other guys who were going to get that surgery done to do it one arm at a time. Good luck and follow the doctors orders. JMHO Dan

16. high 2

high 2 Member

Had my right hand done this morning. Still waiting for the block the doc did to wear off. The block has to be the most strange sensation I've ever had. Not much pain yet. It was a pretty fast deal in and out. I don't think I want to shoot for a while. Sure have a bunch of stock work to do. Right one in two weeks. Larry

17. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Does one recommend the small incision or the big cut. Seems a doctor on TV recommended the big cut so he could better see what he was doing.

Mine bothered me for a while and I wore the splint for a while. Quit wearing the splint after a few weeks and all still seems ok. Ray

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Doc told me when I have my left had done, he was not doing a local, but petting me under totally.

Said I has some great jokes, but they kept distracting him and he was not going to do that again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.