1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Carpal tunnel surgery

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by halfmile, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Getting Carpal tunnel surgery Thursday. What kind of recuperation time am I looking at?

The weather just got really nice here and I hate to be out of action.

HM

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I couldn't do much for about 12 weeks, but then I worked in a Whse.

Lifting was a no no.

I had both wrists done about two weeks apart.

It stopped the numbness in my fingers and thumb.

Mine were Scoped,no problems since.

Regards.....Gerald

3. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

I had both done 2 weeks apart. 3-4 weeks after surgery I started loading shells on the 600 jr. was the best dang therapy you can ask for. I loaded 170 boxes over a 2 week period at 6 pulls per shell, 3 pulls with each hand per shell. I am a carpenter and had no problem swinging a hammer or running a saw after 12 weeks of the 2nd hand. Good luck. i rabbit hunted 1 week after the 2nd hand was done. I took the dressing off before I went for my 2 week visit.Got pretty dirty from cleaning rabbits... told them the baby's diaper got it all messed up. LOL LOL

4. high 2

high 2 Member

Had both of mine done this time last year. I still don't feel like I've got all my strength back. Still tender and couldn't do a push up for a $100 without doing it on my knuckles. But no more numb hands. Getting ready to have my left wrist cleaned up from some damage I did sometime in the past that I can't seem to remember when I did it. It's fun getting old. Larry

5. Pete3

Pete3 TS Member

I had right hand done approx 8 years ago.
    I remember thinking that it was a very small surgery and that it would not bother me much at all.
    The day after surgery, I realized how wrong I was !!
    It was bad enough that I never went back to have the left hand done !!
    If your hand is not too bad right now, I would rethink or at least try to reschedule to off season for your shoot schedule.

Pete Giddings--Canada

6. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Had my rt wrist done in 92 back to work in 3 days was shooting in 3 weeks. No problems since. Think the Doc said nothing over 30 lbs for 6 weeks though. Mine was scoped also. Good Luck, Bill

7. tnjet

tnjet TS Member

Had both of my wrists done this time last year (4 weeks apart). Relatively long recovery. I shot a SC tourney 1 week after the first one and hunted Pheasant the same week of the second one, but I wouldn't recommend counting on that. Gripping motions are painful for 6-8 weeks. You will know what you can do and what you can't. Pulling a trigger.......not too painful!

I agree with the reloading. Many boxes starting in week 2 .

Tnjet

8. bucrub

bucrub TS Member

What's meant by the term "scoped"? I need to have both wrists done before much longer due to RA. Thanks

9. halfmile

Endoscopic, or "scope" surgery is much less intrusive. The old way is to cut your way to the problem area after retracting the muscles that are in the way, and then relieving the carpal tunnel by cutting the tendon that holds the carpals. This gives the pinched nerve room and normal function should return.

I would prefer the scope method for a faster recovery, myself.

I have been advised that normal surgery has a higher success ratio.

Depends on the doctor.

HM

10. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

Had the right one done about 96, the old way, with the knife. took a couple of weeks to recover. Had the left one done on the 7th with the scope and compared to the old way this is a peice of cake. Was cautioned to not get in the dirt but other than that I could do whatever I could tolerate. Made a big mistake and tried to shoot a .44 a week later, needless to say it was only a one shot deal. I noticed immediate results getting rid of the numbness in the thumb and first two fingers and could feel the button holes in my shirt again. MHO get a good Doc and don't put it off to long. Good Luck.
    Bill

11. letts

letts TS Member

Had my right one done 11 months ago. 1" incision, healed in 3 weeks, started shooting as soon as the incision heeled no problems, 100% happy

Letts

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

If you think need this surgery and you're in the Omaha, NE area, my brother is highly regarded...and not just by me!

13. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I had my left done ten years ago. I was not allowed to pick up ten pounds for ten days. I could have shot in two weeks. don't know about reloading, but I was playing guitar within ten days...as a matter of fact, I was told that fretting my guitar at least a half hour a day, (No problem here!,) was good therapy. Hand is MUCH better. don't regret the surgery and no looking back! Jack

14. halfmile

Well, it's about 5 hours after the urgery and it seems to have went OK, but with anesthesia and all it's hard to tell. I also had a pinky finger on the same hand unlocked for "trigger finger".

Got some nice Vicodin for the pain, but the pinky is numb from being froze. There seems to be a dull ache in the heel of my hand which will probably last a while.There is a dressing, a splint, and an ace bandage on for the next 2 weeks.

It was done endoscopic and went very well. I never felt a thing. One minute they brought me in, and then I was done. Amazing.

It will be a while before the results are evident, I guess.

I'll update as changes happen.

HM

15. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I had both done about 2 weeks apart in 94. Both were open surgery, and both did great, with one exception.

Left wrist no problems at all!!

Right wrist after removing bandage, had a small reddish colored "thread" sized piece sticking out from the incision.

If I touched it, I would about pee my pants from the pain!!!

Went back for a check-up, and told the Dr. about it. He grabbed it with tweezers, pulled it out about 1 inch, and snipped it off.

To this day, I have never had anything in my life hurt as bad as this did.

I finally had him admit it was a nerve of some sort.

Whew!

Danny

16. halfmile

That hurt just reading about it.

HM

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Get well halfmile. Sucks having surgery but it will be worth it in the end. You will be back at it in no time.

18. halfmile

update:

I over used it a little the first day, and Saturday it felt like a truck ran over it. Vicodin, yummmmmm.

Today it feels good but I couldn't hold a gun so the guns stayed home and I watched my daughter shoot a couple boxes.

typing works ok but only a little. Paresthesia (numbness, tingling) is still there but it needs time.

the pinky that had the tendon released feels good with only a little soreness in the stitches. they gave me a balloon thing to cover the arm for showering.

All in all, so far so good and LISTEN to the doc.

HM

19. Borderland

Borderland Member

The old style surgery where they cut down your lifeline from the palm to the middle of the wrist that I had done 8 yrs ago was painful and recovery was slow. I dont know where you are located but there is a "Brown hand clinic in Tempe, AZ and Dallas, TX that uses a very small incision that is supposedly the new cutting edge medicine. They only do hands....might be worth calling them.
    I used an orthopedic surgeon but I now know that you want a "board certified hand surgeon"

20. Janet

Janet TS Member

OMG, I was diagnosed with CT on right hand and doctor immediately wanted to do
    surgery, however, I declined inasmuch as I don't hurt very much at all - only
    consulted him because occasionally I would wake in the night and hand would be
    "asleep" and fingers a "little" numb. I guess I'll just watch it and if it gets really bad will consult board certified hand surgeon as Borderland suggested. This all sounds pretty scary to me. What say you, do u agree I should wait a little longer?

Janet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.