1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Carla's right

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Fairfield PA

I didn't want to derail blkcloud's thread: "My daughter and her trophy" and so, started a new thread to share a thought.

Seeing that wonderful young lady and her smile ends any argument about trophy(s)/awards for me. One wonders if she'd have been as thrilled with a couple of box(s) of gun clubs, or a Ten spot? Perhaps the old coots with a closet full of dust collectors can argue for the shells or cash, but for me, that photo trumps any argument anyone can offer. The more I think about it, Carla Harrison's idea about letting the shooter decide between a trophy, shells, or cash equivalent convinces me that she's on to something. Best wishes...mike
  2. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Mike, I'm with you on that one. Great picture.

Trophies HAVE to have the date, event, and what you won inscribed. OTHERWISE, it's a "prize", not a trophy.

I'm the one stuck with buying the trophies in Alaska, and my only problem with your suggestion of "let the shooter decide" is this:

1. That could make trophy buying a never-ending job. I'm gonna have to wait until after the shoot and then I have to remember that the senior vet wants shells, and the AA wants cash, and the junior wants a trophy, so I have to swing by the shop and get one ordered and then go back and get it.

2. NOT having something there to hand out diminishes the accomplishment. In Alaska, we hand out the trophies at the end of the day in a ceremony. Ok, maybe that's a strong word, but everyone stands around and names and scores are read off and folks clap, I shake the winners hand and hand him the goods. Folks have told us we're the only place that does it anymore. Most places you go to a window and pick up what you won, I guess.

We get around your suggestion a little bit by mixing it up. In January, we offered cash for prizes. In November we gave out turkeys and in December we gave big, bone in hams. The rest of the year we have inscribed trophies and we mix those up between buckles, leather, coins, tin men (once), gold pans, knives, and wood clay targets on a base.

We pick one event for the weekend and offer a full slate of trophies - all the way down to junior, lady and vet, all the classes or all the yardage groups, champ and runner up. And the other events we just offer champion trophies that weekend.

that way we can offer superior trophies on a smaller budget...and hopefully something for everyone.

Jeff Pokorny
    Alaska President
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.