1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Carl Levin of Michigan

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by BILL GRILL, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

So I sent a letter to Levin about my stance on gun control. Recieved a letter back on his stance. He is no friend of ours or the NRA do not vote for him again. Bill

2. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

He co authored Feinsein's bill.

He and Debbie Stab Me Now are no friends of guns.

Dear XXXXXXXXX

Thank you for contacting me about gun safety issues. I appreciate you sharing your views with me.

I support sensible gun safety laws and strict enforcement of those laws to help prevent crimes, suicides and violence committed with firearms. I support the steps President Obama outlined recently to curb the gun violence that plagues our nation, and I believe Congress can and should work to enact legislation to prevent gun violence without infringing on the rights of law-abiding citizens.

I was an original cosponsor of the Brady Law (P.L.103-159). This law requires prospective handgun purchasers to undergo criminal background checks before purchasing a firearm from a licensed dealer. The background check system is able to make 92 percent of background check determinations on the spot, and since 1994, has prevented more than 1.5 million firearm purchases. Additionally, according to Centers for Disease Control statistics, since the Brady Law went into effect, the number of gun deaths in the United States dropped 22 percent, from 39,595 in 1993 to 30,769 in 2007. The number of gun homicides dropped by more than 29 percent, from 17,024 in 1993 to 12,129 in 2007.

While the Brady Law has been successful in reducing gun violence, I believe more has to be done. For example, only 60 percent of all gun sales in the United States take place at licensed federal dealers, where background checks are mandatory. The remaining 40 percent of gun sales are conducted by unlicensed individual sellers, often at gun shows, and a background check is not required. This means that across our nation, any dangerous individual can go to a gun show and purchase a deadly weapon without any form of background check. To close this ‘gun show loophole,’ I am a cosponsor of the Gun Show Background Check Act. This bill would enact the common sense principle that anyone who wants to purchase a firearm at a gun show should be able to pass a simple background check. Ten national police organizations support closing this loophole.

Additionally, I am a cosponsor of the Denying Firearms and Explosives to Dangerous Terrorists Act, a bill that seeks to reduce gun violence by keeping firearms out of the hands of terrorists and criminals. Although hard to believe, nothing in current law prohibits individuals on terrorist watch lists from purchasing firearms, unless they fall into another disqualifying category. This “terror gap” in federal law must be closed, and this bill would do just that. This legislation would deny the transfer of a firearm when a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) background check reveals that the prospective purchaser is a known or suspected terrorist and the Attorney General has a reasonable belief that the purchaser may use the firearm in connection with terrorism. Keeping guns out of the hands of terrorists is just common sense.

I also have always supported the rights of sportsmen and hunters. Hunting is a way of life for millions of Americans and plays an integral role in modern wildlife management. But military style assault weapons have no sporting purpose. Because of these weapons, our nation’s citizens are in greater danger and police officers across the country are encountering criminals armed with highly lethal military style weapons.

To support our law enforcement community and to save lives, I am a cosponsor of the Assault Weapons Ban of 2013. This legislation would prevent the future possession, manufacture, sale and importation of assault-type weapons while grandfathering weapons lawfully possessed at the date of the bill’s enactment. It would ban firearms with detachable magazines and military style features, such as grenade launchers, protruding pistol grips, and barrel shrouds. It would support law enforcement officers across our nation, who should not be forced to confront lawbreakers toting military arms. And it would protect the rights of hunters by specifically naming thousands of firearms with legitimate sporting, sentimental or other value that would remain legal to possess.

This bill also would ban high capacity ammunition magazines. Studies have shown that high capacity ammunition magazines are used in 31 to 41 percent of fatal police shootings in cities across our nation. They also have been used by the perpetrators of numerous mass shootings, including at Columbine High School, Virginia Tech, the Tucson shooting of Representative Gabrielle Giffords and 19 others, the attack on a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, and the horrifying shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. The Newtown shooting alone left twenty six people dead, twenty of them children.

We must not wait until more places are added to this heartbreaking list. We can and should act swiftly to protect our families and loved ones from mass shootings. These measures have the overwhelming support of law enforcement communities around our nation, who have implored us to make changes to stop the flood of these types of weapons into the hands of those who would use them for harm. I will continue to work for common-sense gun safety measures.

Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,
    Carl Levin
    levin.senate.gov

It's time for these clowns to go.....

Jerbear

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Here's Stab Me Now's response....

Dear

Thank you for contacting me about the tragic and senseless violence in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and concerns with me.

If there is anything that deeply unites Americans across the country it is our love for our children and grandchildren and our desire to keep them safe. In the wake of the heartbreaking tragedy at Sandy Hook elementary, all of us must come together to determine what steps can be taken to protect our children. That means discussing how we can strengthen our gun laws to help stop attacks like this from happening again, while protecting responsible gun ownership and preserving our hunting heritage. It also means strengthening mental health services, and focusing on the broader culture of violence in the media and our society. These solutions may not be easy, but one thing should be clear – complacency and inaction until the next attack must not be an option.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family.
    Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow
    United States Senator
    U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow
    The United States Senate • Washington, DC 20510
    stabenow.senate.gov

Jerbear

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Looks like the same "form" letter sent to me by my two senators Murray and Cantwell.

Once they get to DC they are encapsulated into a bubble of lies and deceit and the only thing that will burst that bubble is to be arrested or VOTED out of office by people back home!!

5. BILL GRILL

I am going to print the letter off and post it at the clubs and gun shows I attend.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

"While the Brady Bill has been successful in reducing gun violence"....Really?

Prove it Mr. Levin

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Glad I live in Texas, all my reps said they fully support the 2nd and will vote against anything to infringe on our rights

8. trapgeek

trapgeek Member

Yeah I got the samw two responses from those two.

Trapgeek

9. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Did you mention to Stabmenow and Lemon that all of the shootings that they have cited occured in "Gun Free Zones" How can they react to that with a clear conseience?

Chuck

10. Snidely54

Snidely54 Member

Bill Grill, vote for him AGAIN! I'm hoping you have never voted for that phony freekin' Perry Combover! I was born an raised in the Upper Peninsula and Creepy Carl's forays across the Mackinaw bridge are few and far between, simply because folks up here have had his number from the start...........Dave Strom

11. BILL GRILL

Dave, I said again becuase he is in office and obviously someone voted for him. I can tell you it was not me. Bill

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Thanks for posting Bill,

I did not know this about Levin. I will help spread the word.

13. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

BILL GRILL,

Carl Levin stands before the Senate of the U.S. as the chairman of the armed forces committee. And with a clear conscience spills his anti gun guts weekly. Yes you are correct is saying he is no friend of the gun owner or NRA. In case anyone wants to know he lives in Huntington Woods, MI. Secondly Debbie Stabenow stands with him. Lots of luck to Michigan gun owners.

Chuck

14. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Hes a real piece of work,IF IT WASN'T for all the people in this state drinking the Kool-Aid,he never would have been re-elected.Bill, Jerry W. emailed me a copy of the same response that you got from him.Great idea about posting this letter at gunshows and gun clubs,I'll copy and post it in ours.We actually have a skeet shooter at our club that has the balls to come to the club with vote for Obama bumper stickers on his imported car !!..Makes me want to say something to him every time I see them but I keep biting my tongue. Moe

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

We have two of the worst senators in Congress and they can thank the Labor Unions and Detroit for their seemingly permanent seats in Congress.

Don

16. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

BIGDON, Not two of the worst-- THE TWO WORST. I've been sayin that for years. Spence Abraham wasn't the best but when he left and Stabmenow got elected all I could say is we're in trouble now.

Chuck

17. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

KERRY BENTIVOLIO
    11th District of Michigan

226 Cannon
    Office Building
    (202) 225-8171
    January 24, 2013

Dear Mr. X:

I appreciate you taking the time to contact me to voice your support for the Second Amendment.

I swore an oath to defend the Constitution. This is a sacred trust. The Constitution includes all amendments the Second Amendment is no exception.

Furthermore, I would like you to know that as an English teacher, I understand the meaning of a subordinate clause, and I do not buy into the argument that the language concerning the necessity of a militia has any bearing on the fact that the 2nd Amendment clearly confers the right to keep and bear arms, without infringement, upon the people, not the government, and I consider criminalizing guns that millions of Americans already own, guns capable of defending one against multiple attackers, to be infringement in the first degree.

Merriam-Webster defines infringement as “an encroachment or trespass on a right or privilege,” and encroachment as “[the entering] by gradual steps or by stealth into the possessions or rights of another.” That definition suits present-day attempts to limit gun rights perfectly.

As a schoolteacher, I was shaken by the events that took place in Connecticut. But depriving people of the right to defend themselves as they see fit is surely no solution.

I, for one, will honor my oath to defend the Constitution, and I will hold firm against any attempt to restrict your right to protect yourself and your family.

I thank you for your activism. It is surely the truth that eternal vigilance is the price of liberty, and if constituents across America were not speaking up for their rights, our liberty might have been lost long ago.

Sincerely,

Kerry Bentivolio
    Member of Congress

Nice to see this......

Jerbear

18. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Didn't he star in "Batman Returns"?

Bob Falfa

stokinpls_2008_0303166.jpg

19. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

michmoe,
    I am the President of a gun club in Commerce Twp. MI. We have a few that voted with Kool-Aid in hand. I chastize them regularly, as they are no friends to gun owners or an organization that supports guns.

Chuck.

P.S. what are you waiting for---be proud and go stir the pot!!

20. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

He's always been anti-gun so why does he keep being re-elected? Aren't there enough sportsmen in Michigan to sway the vote and vote him out? BT100dc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.