1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

=== Caring For Gold Etching On Guns? ===

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GW22, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I admire the thicker gold inlays such as birds or hunting scenes on guns, but I'm not a big fan of gold "etching" (thin stripes, writing, etc.). It often doesn't look that great initially and when it starts coming off, the gun looks horrible and value plummets. I've seen this happen on Browning shotguns in particular.

Anyway, I recently came into a Colt pistol that has such etching. Aside from not physically handling the gun by the etched areas, are there any other special considerations for keeping it intact and nice? Can you just apply a thin coat of Barricade or Break-Free Collector and forget about it? This pistol will be a safe queen, and my safe is kept at low humidity, but I don't want any suprises.

Thanks in advance for any specific and intelligent comments you can offer.

-Gary

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Gary-I reaaly don't think there's such a thing as "gold etching".

Of all the guns I've seen with gold, they were either inlays or platings.

Gold inlays are just as it sounds. The steel is cut away to allow the gold to sit into a pocket. As long as the gun isn't abused, the gold should last as long as the gun.

The new Brownings you are referring to, do have gold platings, and yes, it will eventually rub off. I don't know if Browning offers a service of replacing the plating.

Doug

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Thanks Doug. Fjestad's refers to mine as gold etching, which is why I used that term. Maybe plating is the same thing. In any case, it appears to sit completely atop the metal -- no pocket.

-Gary

4. patrick Swartz

patrick Swartz Member

In 1975 or 76 I bought a Win. M12 with silver inlays. The guy was in the air force and bought the gun through the base gun club. He sent the gun to Japan to be ingraved and came back to the states before he got the gun back.The air force finally got the M12 back to him. The ingraveing and silver inlays were great. The guy had used clear nail polish to coat the silver inlays. The nail polish was yellow and cracking,but when I used nail polish remover to take it off,the inlays looked like new.These were solid silver inlays and the nail polish didn't do anything to them. I don't know about the gold coating on your gun. If it is real gold,I don't think the nail polish would hurt it.
    Good luck.

Patrick Swartz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.