1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Carey Closer & catcher

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tevye ben david, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tevye ben david

tevye ben david TS Member

I have a Beretta 390 in 12 g. that I bought a Carey Closer & hull catcher for.
    I have it installed but I don't know exactly how it works as a catcher! It acts like it wants to hold onto the spent hull as it cycles the second round.

Can anyone help me?? It looks like a good idea for a semi-auto if I can get it to work. Also I shoot a fair amount of 5 stand.

Thanks! Tevye

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Its made for shooting in single shot mode, It catches the round fired so it dosen't hit the shooter standing next to you.

use one all the time instead of the "rubber band" fix.

it takes alittle more work to shoot a semi-auto on the trap line, thats why you don't see that many as "trap" guns.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

To really shoot doubles with a semi-auto and not pelt your fellow shooters, you need to have the bead welded inside your Beretta. The bead will deflect the spent hulls down and not in your fellow shooters face. See Tron on here he specializes in Beretta Autos and the bead deflector. As the other poster stated, the catcher is used when shooting singles with a semi-auto. Tron's website is posted above. Go to his site and click on the samples page and there will be a picture of the bead deflector 2nd pic from the bottom of the page. I know some guys who have had this mod done and its pretty slick. It does not affect the normal function of the gun. --Matt

4. tevye ben david

tevye ben david TS Member

My thanks to both timberfaller and grntitan. You have told me exactly what I need to know!!

5. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Can you use the hull catcher if you have the bead welded on?........SMOKIT

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

SMOKIT---I'm not sure on that one. I would contact Tron and he could tell you in a heartbeat. The guys i know with Berettas and the bead welded just let 'em hit the ground. If i remember correctly you can't even see the bead so i would say the catcher would still work. Just a guess though.---Matt

7. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

If it's the catcher with the plastic closing button and allen screw at the top, you should also have a removeable plastic insert that slides in and out just below the ejector port. The insert prevents the shell from ejecting and when removed the will eject. The allen screw that sits above the ejector port regulates where the shell is ejected sideways or downward. the more you turn the screw down the more the shell is ejected downward. I have one on a 391 and it works great. the best thing to do is contact Carry for instructions. you may be missing the plastic shell stop.

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

carey closer

how to install a carey closer