1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Careful with your email address...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mr. listo, Mar 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr. listo

mr. listo Member

I got a reply from a previous thread I had posted. It was from a guy wanting to loan me money...cheap.

I am now on 50 different trashy email lists.

The Xs in the email didn't work.

Harry Gable

2. grammie

grammie TS Member

That is why we don't use our names and e-mail addresses on this forum....

AKA Grammie..........

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Harry,

When I get one of those, I double click on the "From"/sender's address. That reformats the message. You can then right click on the address and click "block" in the drop-down menue. All future messages from the same sender are then automatically sent to the deleted file.

Rollin

4. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"When I get one of those, I double click on the "From"/sender's address. That reformats the message. You can then right click on the address and click "block" in the drop-down menu. All future messages from the same sender are then automatically sent to the deleted file.</blockquote>

In which mail client? A far more sensible approach to needing to publish an email address is to use a self-destructing, redirected alias from services like Jetable, TrashMail or E4ward. There is a Firefox plugin for Trashmail that automatically generates an alias in any email address textbox with a mouse click. There are other services available but these are among the easiest to use. Google ...disposible email addresses...

5. thedemoguy

thedemoguy TS Member

Some one on this site is sending email addresses to a spam list, I've been blocking them for a long time now and I take myself off there list and the next thing you know I'm right back on it...
    This and shotgun world are the only places to find my email.

Bill

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

MacV;

I should have included that information. I use Outlet Express, Google and IE. I prefer Outlook Express over Outlook.

Rollin

7. smartass

smartass TS Member

Well said, zaratampon,

8. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Rollin,

I figured you were using OE and took that out of my reply. OE has a very poor reputation for security. Consider that Microsoft's "Windows One Care" security suite just came out on the bottom of the list in independent labratory evaluations of security software and that it's a good bit more advanced than what protects OE...

Demoguy,

No one has to send email addresses from this board to any spammer. They use crawlers and bots to harvest email addresses from any public board they can find. It's not uncommon for one spammer's bots to harvest more than 100,000 NEW addresses a day. And with character recognition software becoming more sophistocated, the common tricks for munging an email address will soon be useless.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.