1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Careful: Apple iOS 7

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by hose 'em down, Sep 19, 2013.

1. hose 'em down

hose 'em down Active Member

THIS BELONGS IN OFF-TOPIC SECTION:

GENERAL FWIW: Just updated my iPad, lost. Lots of stuff......sheesh, this is not a fun trip.

Ernie ....in AZ

2. 548

548 Guest

It's there, just look around and learn to use the new version. I think the update was outstanding. Much more visually appealing.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I updated my IPhone 4S this morning and didn't lose anything. The update took awhile but all went well.

4. hose 'em down

548....I have to disagree, this update is not more visually appealing. Plus more work to find my stuff and lost lots of settings, favorites and search engine choices . Just my .02 worth. Your mileage may vary. G'rrrrr

Thanks for the post .

Ernie....in AZ

5. hose 'em down

Dougbbb.....uh, no. Not smart enough to even think about doing so. Gee, what a swell deal. Looks like I'll have to relearn waaaay too many steps and settings. Gosh, my photos were scattered on many pages and sorted by years into big piles. Calendar is clumsy vs prior version. I suspicion MSFT may have had some input in this update. Ya think? OK, a Little humor, there.

Oh, well.......thanks for the reply.

Ernie....in AZ

6. tachyon

tachyon Member

I have updated about 20 iPads and at least 30 iPhones over the last two days(family and clients). Did not lose anything.

Games developed using GameSalad are having some random crash issues. It is a problem with GameSalad not IOS. Hopefully a solution will be found soon.

The visuals are different. Takes some time to get used to it but in many instances it is a cleaner interface. iTunes radio is very nice.

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I got lucky yesterday morning, it only took 20 some minutes for iPhone 5.

We did 4 yesterday, didn't lose anything.

The photos are still in their original albums, if you click the bottom right "Albums" icon, you'll see them.

The bottom left icon "Photos" will sort all photos by the places and day you took them, it's very helpful to see where and when those photos were taken, especially from a long and multiple destination trip.

If not for this feature, I would never realize we're at Comox BC when I took this photo using iPhone from the balcony of my room on the ship.
    [​IMG]

As a matter of fact, I stop using other cameras because of this feature.

There're new things to learn everyday, this is a little more complicated than shooting a new gun but it is a lot easier than programing a new VCR.

I learned a lot from Apple.com Here's the link for you to see everything.

http://www.apple.com/ios/design/

Have fun.

8. grntitan

It is definitely different but I don't think it is so different that one can't figure out what's what. It will take some getting use too but I have already found several things on the updated version I like better. It's still amazing to me the amount of technology in this little phone or should I say computer that can make phone calls.

9. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Done a I phone and I pad never lost a thing and all went well. Really like it.

10. hose 'em down

Steve W.....thanks for the link. I'll towel off and do some homework. I've been so pleased with my iPad and Apple stuff that perhaps I took too much comfort in my settings being retained. Anyway, I'm sure I'll get through this, albeit slower than I expected. Thanks to all for the support. As you were........

Ernie ....in AZ

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Steve W. Alaskan cruise?

12. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Yes. And thanks to iPhone 5, very clear pictures and exact locations of each photos. Photo Stream to my MacBook Air, so I don't have to down load 600 photos after the trip.

iPhone GPS showing where I was when taking some pictures, otherwise it's rather hard to remember where is where.
    [​IMG]
    Another photo from my balcony.
    [​IMG]
    If I enlarge the map, it'll show exactly where the my ship was.

13. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Here's 12 tips for using os 7 in the above link

Doug

14. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

The only issue I had updating my I5 was that it said invalid SIM. Had to "hard" reboot twice and all is good now.

At first I was a little put off by the new look and functionality, but after a day of using it I really like it better. It seems like the I5 is performing faster. Also, I have not seen as many keyboard "errors" when texting.

JMHO

Jim C

15. Baber

Baber TS Member

Have upgraded both IPhone 5 and iPad. No problems. I have usually found that problems occur with less than good applications. Everything on mine runs great.

T

16. grntitan

I updated my mothers IPhone 5 this morning and hers took nearly 2 hours. I'm not really sure why it took so long but everything worked out fine. My mom was excited that she could give "Siri" a man's voice. Out of all the items the update added, that was her priority.

17. rivercityjeff

rivercityjeff Member

As with all updates (Apple, Android, or MS), it is highly recommended to BACK UP your data prior to the install. My Iphone 5 and Ipad mini updates were a non-issue, no data lost, and no drama.

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I tried io7. Don't like it. Hate the new weather visuals. The old ones were decent.

The new visuals look like the designer likes the decor at Hotdog on a Stick at the mall.

The fonts have been made small and thinner. Meaning I have to use reading glasses even in bright sunshine.

Frankly the above has all been designed for kids. Not adults and especially not older adults.

When a call comes in, the camera flash goes off. Repeatedly. Lights up the whole room. Have not found an option to turn it off. Still looking but I've been through ALL settings three times now.

The only thing good I can say is the touch screen seems to be more accurate.

On a scale of one to five I give this upgrade a two.

19. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Brian go to settings then general then accessibility then turn off led flash for alerts. You can also change font to any size you want.

Doug

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Thanks, I turned that off but it's back on again. Maybe I "bounced" the "switch". (Update, switched it again and this time it work. Thanks.)

And while you can increase font size, some apps do not increase fonts, or by the time others have a useful font size, the page has run off the screen and has to be scrolled, which is annoying. I also set font to Bold, but have yet to find an app with it in use.

I thought they had a real winner with the look of io6, but apparently, like Microsoft, they have to "move forward" even if it means making it retrograde.