1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Career Vets

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mike moncilovich, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

Welcome home guys, I got seperated my Captian as I was transfered to the 2d Battalion 18th Inf. and him later to the 1/4 horse 1st inf. I was reading on line about the Big Red One and came accross his name in the Battle of Ap Tau O. This man I held in high-regards as he was all for his men as long as you knew he was captian. He recieved many awards during his tour in Vietnam. When talking on line to a vet of Ap Tau O, he told me that my Capt. was later finished his career has an enlisted man. The man I knew was a real officer and a gentleman, a guy who you would buy a beer. Now my question is, what is the terminology for RIF? Mike

2. Butterfingers

Butterfingers TS Member

Reduction In Force. Many older Officers after passing an age requirement
    wii assume a lower rank in order to serve out their time.

3. mike moncilovich

Thanks Reilly, I didn't want to believe it was for displenary action...Mike

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

An Officer who has attained the "RA" status (Regular Army) cannot be "riffed". Only those officer's with a "Reserve" status.

West Point grad's have the RA status whereas ROTC & most OCS grad's are given the Reserve status.

Just an FYI (and the for what it's worth department)

Curt

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

Also during the Viet Nam war there were "temporary" officers (at least in the Marines). Normally these were senior NCOs who were promoted into officer positions because of the military need. At the end of the war these officers were RIFFED back to the senior NCO ranks that they would have attained based on time in grade. I served under a Captain in Viet Nam on my second tour who I had known as a Gunnery Sergeant during my first tour. Later I served under him as a Major stateside. Just before I got out he was RIFFED back to a Master Gunnery Sergeant.

--- Chip King ---

6. mike moncilovich

Again guys, Thanks! When he first came to our unit, he was a 1st lt. EXO of one of the line companies...Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ap tau o battle viet nam

trapshooting career