1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Career Grand Slam list in Trap & Field

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by canada, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canada

canada Member

the level of competition has risen so much over the past 20 years. more big scores are being broken. people are realizing that they can be done.

better equipment, guns that shoot where people want them to. more and better coaching, more knowledge of the game.

all reasons why more grand slams are being broken.

2. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

2 hole targets, Pat traps, voice activated targets.

Tom Strunk

3. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

2 hole soft targets. Somewhat complemented by better guns and ammo. But mostly targets. - Jim

4. Joe McGorman

Joe McGorman TS Member

I "second" Tom Strunk

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

We have two reams of shooting history to be considered here. Some experienced the first and know, others are flailing/failing, grade? Hap

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My feeling todays top shooters can't duplicate their feats with targets settings 20 years ago, they were harder targets to break angles were wider and targets went to the stake.

Dr.longshot

7. tbuster

tbuster Member

Once the four minute mile was broken by Ryan, it didn't take long for others to follow. Some of it is mental but a lot of it is just like any other sport, better equipment and more dedication to the sport.

8. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

who has the most 400x400? dwain i am just guessing but my guess would be leo

9. tbuster

tbuster Member

I thought that Phil Kiner had two. Isn't that tops for registered birds?

10. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

might be that would be quite an accomplishment

11. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

i'm pretty sure only one person has broken a 400x400 and that is Mr. Phil Kiner who I might add has done it twice!

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

FYI the first man to run a sub-4 mintue mile was Roger Banister, not Jim Ryun....look it up...

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

On July 20, 1969, Dan Orlich completed a 400 X 400 High All Around at the PITA Grand Pacific at the old Harolds Club north of Reno, NV. I'm sure you'll find his name in both the ATA and PITA Halls of Fame. He's still found chatting up the shooters at Sage Hill, the current Reno Club. This was well before the #2 hole targets, vastly possible improvements to guns, chokes, and shells and at a (in)famously windy venue.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

14. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

Narrower angles (2 hole), softer set (shorter distance), and looks like from a thread on here, fewer of the hardest angles. Voice calls (on time targets), and souped up shells.

The biggest factors being the slower (soft set) targets and the change to the 2 hole (narrow) target setting.

Additionally, during the last 20 years there has been places like Spanish Fork and El Paso gun clubs where many people went with the express intent to get the final leg of their grand slam knowing the targets there were much easier.

I don't give much credit to guns as Orlich shot a Ljutic but perhaps the biggest boost from better doubles guns and the doubles distance being shortened.

15. Hauser

Hauser Member

Number one reason, easier targets.

Easier targets =

Fewer shooters breaking more grand slams.

Voice calls contributed but forget everything else. Shells, chokes, and the ability to get a good gun fit haven't changed.

Jerry Hauser

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

"Steroids" ...

Phil Kiner has broken 400X400 twice, so that makes him "The Man" ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

tbuster, it was Roger Bannister who first broke the 4-minute mile, not Jim Ryun.

Phil Kiner has broken two 400x400, I believe the first at the Colorado State Shoot, the second at the Western Zone at Spanish Fork a couple of years ago. I was in the squad that followed his that weekend, so got to see a fair amount of it "Up close and personal". Mike Stears also broke an unconventional 400x400 at Pocatello last June - 200x200 in doubles, 100x100 in singles, and 100x100 from the 27, all in one day (the first Saturday of a two-day shoot). I think he missed some in the two handicaps the next day, but I don't have the results handy.

18. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

DB, yes it must be from the 27.
    Sonny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.