1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cardinal vs Grand

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 635 G, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Is anyone going to the Cardinal shoot & by passing the Grand?

Lou

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

No comparison. Looks like you are just trying to stir the garbage some more.

Don

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

the only thing that Sparta has over the Cardinal Ctr is "The Grand".......but give Ohio Time.....

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I'm going to the Cardinal Center because of distance. 2 hours to Cardinal, 10 hours to Sparta. The Cardinal Center is a nice place to shoot too. I lose 2 days due to travel if I go to Sparta. Next year, maybe Sparta. To each his own.
    For me, it just makes more sense. Drive 2 days or shoot 2 days.

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

15 hrs. to Sparta...

7.5 hrs. to Cardinal...

What was the question again?

Curt

6. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Went to the Grand for 12 years in a row, NOT ANYMORE. Cardinal is a great place to shoot AND can almost guarantee you won't have to sit in your vehicle most of the day with your vehicle and air conditioning running because it is WAAY over 100 degrees, like it was at Sparta last year! (One guy said his vehicle thermometer said 108-112 last year.)

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Ken, If it's 100 at Sparta, it will be hot at Cardinal too, unless the weather changes that week. I believe it was 94 and 96 last year at Cardinal when I shot.
    I was lucky enough to get a cabin this year (with air). The 2 facilities will be close to the same temp on a given day, but himidity may be different. Shade and a breeze make a difference unless your a camping trapshooter, and I am currently not. However, if I was, fuel to Cardinal would be much less than running to Sparta. For others it may be the opposite. This should not be a battle over facility qualities. Their both good. Convenience and cost may dictate who goes where. I hope both venues are successful, thus creating more places to go and shoot.

8. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I aint planning on attending either but if I were it would be Cardinal all the way.

Closer so far less on gas.

Looks far more inviting then the wide open planes of Sparta.

Much closer to better lodging and food than the planes of the Midwest.

Other than those reasons the only thing Sparta would have that would be better than Cardinal is vendors row. Now if Cardinal could get the vendors and such that go to the Grand it would probably be a serious no brainer for many many others as well.

9. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

What is the point of this thread?

5 hours to Cardinal for a shoot
    7 hours to Sparta for the Grand

did I mention...The Grand is at Sparta!

The camper is the same, the food is the same, the shells are the same, the weather is the same, the birds are the same, and oh yeah....the Grand is at Sparta.

For those that have gotten over it...see you at the Grand!!!! (it's in Sparta)

10. mcv

mcv Member

Here we go again. Of course we all know that this will never end. Let's stop this bashing and just show our support to whatever Club we can attend. Both sites are top notch shooting facilities. And yes, both need a little help in a few areas . . . but you can't do anything about the weather. This is an outdoor sport. Suck it up and just shoot. We can't do anything about the weather.

Don't get me wrong, the Cardinal is a nice place to shoot. But so is the WSRC! Be the sportsman/woman that you all are and show your support to one or both. Don't start this crap all over again. Be a good sport and just shoot!!!!

11. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Ya know something that needs to be taken into serious consideration that I just thought of ...

When supporting Cardinal you are supporting a facility that is there for the shooter and will always be there for the shooter as long as it gets support but when you support Sparta you are supporting a facility that is run and controlled by a unfriendly gun hating political state that could all of a sudden be gone no matter how many people attend the Grand each year.

Hmmm ... come to think of it now the question can also be support a facility that will always be there for the shooter or a facility that may be there this year and might not be next?

12. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Hey BIGDON.........the silence is deafening.....

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There are a lot of people who will not shoot the Grand for a multitude of reasons, all of them are justified in that persons mind whatever the reason ... The Cardinal Center looks like a great alternative for those who would rather not support the State of Illinois and their anti gun agendas ... The attendance obviously reflects what a lot of peoples intentions are and so it goes ... "Built it and some will come" others will go someplace else ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

What is "defeaning"?

15. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Thats the opposite of feaning ... ya know when you fean you may want to defean as well.

16. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

When the Grand was held in Ohio, did the State of Ohio get $3.00/event? If there was a way of hiding this charge, some people might come. its not the money, its the idea of giving money directly to an anti-gun state. No matter what they call the fee.

Lou

17. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Mr. Newbius,
    Shall we consider the fact that one place supports a program for the ATA vs. a program to profit a private club. Also, if we are to get the "controlled by a unfriendly gun hating political state" to consider the positive aspect of our game we should be in Sparta. Also, consider that Illinois spent millions, and continues to spend money on the facility...(Ohio could have and did not) Illinois legislators that you so quickly label also passed legislation to assist the business at the facility and relax some laws.

When was the last time an anti gun or anti hunting bill passed Illinois then ask the same question of Ohio....let us see...189_ to 197_ no dove hunting...reopen season only to stop again in 1977 until 1995. Reopen and ballet issue placed before the voters in 1998. My facts may be off a year or two but the point is you may be incorrect in your assumptions because the state was Ohio.

Who has made the guarantee that Cardinal as you stated "will always be there for the shooter"?

Spilled milk is all I hear from this topic and it does not serve our sport well. If the Cardinal shoot was a month later I would be able to support both but as I stated in an earlier post...the Grand is in Sparta. A shoot is at Cardinal. Wish I could do both but I do not get that much time off in one month. One has to question the intent of having a large shoot right after the Grand????

See ya in Sparta. The trailer is almost packed, the $5.00 AA and STS are loaded in the truck, the guns are ready to pack, just got a buy on one inch thick T-Bones and will have nice steaks for a few nights. I look forward to the fun, homemade ice cream, fresh peaches, root beer floats, good birds, great background, lots of competiton, and lots of people having fun and not reading the grumbling on a webpage.

Be safe in your travels and I look forward to seeing everyone at the Grand.

18. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

635G
    I do not recall a $3.00 charge in Ohio. I also do not recall the State of Ohio spending millions for and on the facility. I could be wrong but $3.00 is a bargin when you look at what we get.
    Hope you will join us in Sparta and not let the $3.00 worry you.

19. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

3 things to consider: location, location, location.

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Some of you have brains the size of a dime. 1. Ohio & the FAA kicked the ATA out of the state. Ohio didn't step up and do anything. IL built a facility. 2. $3 goes to the IDNR who built the place. All of your Cardinal money goes to Mr. Fisburn who pays the ATA, OSTA fees, guess where the rest stays rightfully so. 3. The ATA has a 10 year lease, how long is the lease at Cardinal?? Only as long as Mr. Fishburn wants it.

Why can't some of you just leave the situation alone. As Setterman has said they are both 1st class places to shoot. Why do they have to compete?? You know the Cardinal Classic was held just to piss off the ATA and feed the egos of a few Ohio shooters who can now say it's us vs. them and we aren't going to no damn Grand that isn't in Ohio. Do you think the shooters in 45 states +/- give a rats butt about the Classic?? It is a popular LOCAL shoot.

Give it a break and enjoy the sport without the BS. See you at the Grand in Sparta.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.