1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cardinal Ctr & Elysburg Comparison

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

We haven't been to the CC yet, but will next year.

What I wonder is how does CC compare to Elysburg. This seems to be a more equitable comparison rather than the now beaten to death CC/WSRC reviews.

Elysburg is very well run, has ample camping and facilities, is set in a very scenic location and handles 300+ squads per event.

Would someone who's been to both CC and Elysburg please provide a constructive comparison? Not which one is "better", but let those of us who don't know how they compare.

Thanks,

Guy Babin

2. seitz245

seitz245 TS Member

guy there is no comparison, CC throws nice targets

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'm gonna get hammered for this one. CC is first class with excellent targets on all banks. The worst banks at CC are better than the best banks at Elysburg. CC does need a bigger club house with more open signup and pay windows!!

4. dennis p

dennis p Member

CC has the best FLASH LIGHTS at any ATA event bar none. What a insult to the winners. Dennis P

5. JTEA

JTEA Member

Have not been to the CC, but if it's traps are in one straight line, on flat land, with equal backgrounds; it is better.

PA is lucky to have Elysburg, as most clubs go. That being said, there have been political issues, inequities in squadding (differing backgrounds), and now I am told problems with worn traps. Apparently one of the main bearings on them are getting worn in the traps and they have not, or can't, get replacements. (info. from a shooter who's much more involved than me and who talks with leadership in PA) Too bad there isn't a central PA club off the turnpike towards Harrisburg. Many motels in Breezewood area etc. It is a beautiful area, as PA goes.

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"The worst banks at CC are better than the best banks at Elysburg."</i></blockquote>
    <center>[​IMG]</img></center>

MK

7. steele

steele TS Member

Guy,
    I love Elysburg, but the 4-5 hour drive from Pgh is not attractive. As you know hotels are a little scarce, & there are only 4-5 really good restaurants, all about 1/2+ hour drive.
    CC is 3 hours, literally dozens of hotels within 20 minutes, any kind of restaurant known to man, the largest shopping area in Oh 1/2 hour south, and the CC parking is easy/abundant.
    And it is only getting better. With the new "vendors row" building in the works, it will attract many more vendors. They are having a hotel built on the the grounds. Mr Fishburn is definitely building a better "mousetrap".
    I always had a good time at Elysburg, but for me, CC just makes logistic sense.
    Butch

8. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Cardinal Center is in a class of it's own. Best facility I ever shot at.

9. whatta_attitude

whatta_attitude TS Member

I go to both facilities One is not better than the other at Pa we have well trained staff and 12 traps and the best damn management in the industry.
    CC is the new kid on the block The Fishburns have outdone themselves time and time again and we still have room to Grow.
    If Pa is closer by all means go there and be welcomed...If CC is closer come here but also know you would be welcomed at either shoot.

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

When did Elysburg loose 40 trap fields?

Ed

11. zinger

zinger Member

Both are my favorites and to me, there's no comparison. Each shoot has both good and bad points but neither would be the reason to not attend.

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Obviously a typo Ed. I don't know how she's posting on so many threads at once. She's writing faster than I can read :)

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Logic would first require a comparison of Ohio State and Penn State football. From that we could then begin a sound discussion of which club is better. If Ohio State or Penn State could ever get their football programs to the level of VA Tech, such a discussion could be enlightening.

Pat Ireland (a totally unbiased poster)

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I would suggest that if one was a VA Tech fan watching a game between your team and either OH, or PA State on the home turf of said opponent, it'd be very wise to keep one's public gloating to a bare minimum.

While I don't have a personal relationship with Pat, my eye for character(s) tells me he's a very sage and wiley fanatic, not to mention a southern Gentleman totally devoid of bias.

It'd be fun to watch a good game over some refreshing adult beverages in the company of a bunch of good-natured football/trapshooting rivals at the Valley Gun Club canteen, or favorite watering hole near the CC.

Guy B.

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Dear Mr. Ireland, That was uncalled for. This was a nice thread till you started that VA Tech crap. Shame, Shame.

16. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

Excellent point Pat. The last time I saw Penn State play live, WVU shut them out 48-0, and like you an unbiased opinion. As Butchi says, both facilities are great. I have not attended a large shoot at Elysburg but I was sure impressed with the timing of the Cardinal. 9:00 AM means 9:00AM SHARP. I did think that Aden jumped the gun on Sunday with starting 15 seconds early by my watch! What a well oiled machine they run and with the improvements coming, it will be fantastic. I already booked my camping spot for all three shoots next year. Heck, even my wife liked it an she is not a shooter. CC is also very dog friendly. I think being a campground first then a shooting club really helps these guys out. They cover all of your camping bases and then hold great shoots to boot.

I think there was a post on here within the last month of what do you want in a good trap club. I would say, run it like the CC. All targets were good, the backgrounds are excellent. I like the fact that you can get some variation in background too. Being from PA, I like the trees, corn is a little odd compared to what I am used to seeing. I am looking forward to going to PA State shoot next year to try that out.

17. Cray

Cray Member

I agree with Zinger.
    I have attended 15 state shoots at Pa. and the Cardinal Classic last year.
    Both are excellant clubs to shoot at!
    My only wish is that they were closer to Western N.Y.
    "Go Bills"!!!!!!!! Cray
    PS: Pat- I bet UB can beat Va. Tech!

18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Isn't this thread supposed to be about shooting centers and NOT about one of the top 5 most boring games?

MK

19. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

MK, evidently we trap shooters are easaily distractedd.

20. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Guy...just sent you a PM.

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.