1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cardinal center upgrades

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SPACE GUN, Jul 7, 2013.

1. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I went to the cardinal center today to shoot practice, They have installed new Blacktop from the entrance though the camp grounds and sporting clays area and a nice wide road down the center of the parking lots. Right now the road stops at the entry building but I was told it was going to continue all the way down.
    one of the very few complaints I ever heard about the cardinal center was about the dust, this should really help address that.

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

God Bless the Fishburns.

-Gary

3. joneseboy

joneseboy Member

And it continues to be a better place everyday!

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Awesome. Dust was an issue.

5. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

They need to design a road between the area behind buildings and the parking lot to keep the golf cart people away from the front area of the event.

The carts spew exhaust fumes and some are a physical danger to pedestrians. GAP

6. guthooked

guthooked Member

Thats great news. The dust was a issue. John S

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Great news. I'm sure that was not a cheap endeavor.

Now if they'd just build some skeet fields. They've got the land and wherewithal to make it one of the premier clay target clubs in the country, not just one of the premier trap and sporting clubs...

One other suggestion for an upgrade. Water fountains, water coolers, more vending machines, ect. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place, but I found it impossible to find any drinking water. The only vending machine I found (by the HOF bldg) was out of service. I ended up going to the truckstop over the bridge to get something to drink.

8. skeet_man

No, I didn't see those. I was there near the end of the day Friday, maybe they'd all been collected by then. It would be nice to have something for the spectators/shoppers though.

9. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Cheer up Skeet Man.

Mr. Fishburn has plenty of land and I would imagine such fields would be built somewhere around the sporting clay courses.

If the demand is there it will happen.

Best place now for Skeet is Black Wing, one exit south, and West of the Cardinal.
    A little pricey but first class.

Regards.....Gerald

10. steele

steele TS Member

If I remember right, the concession stand had lots of different drinks available.

11. Cray

Cray Member

I carry my own bottles of water. Only $.25 a bottle. Cray

12. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Can anyone post a pic or 2 of the new asphalt??

13. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

you are right muzzleblast. anything you wanted, well almost.pop, water, tea ,coffee( reg or decaf), breakfast sandwiches ( outstanding ) Huge fritters, chips ,cookies , did I mention breakfast sandwiches? Top shelf all the way!!!!
    Glenn Allison

14. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

And if you really, really can't find anything to drink at the concessions or on the trap line - there are vending machines at the swimming pool and the campground office.

Was there today by the way - it was a swamp! Too much rain.

15. skeet_man

OTH- Unfortunately Blackwing doesn't host any shoots that are big enough to justify the travel. If CC could put in 10-12 fields, they could hold some major tournaments, including the US Open.

yakimaman- No clue where the swimming pool or campground office are. I finally managed to find the sporting clays course this year though, just drove by the club house though.

16. Setterman

Geeze, nothing like spending someone else's money. 10-12 fields? That would only cost $150,000 to $200,000 minimum.

I doubt the payback is there. What's the attendance at a big skeet shoot in Ohio?

17. skeet_man

With the funds available to upgrade the club, I doubt spending the $ for 10-12 fields is much of a concern. Putting in the number of trap fields they did cost SIGNIFICANTLY more than 10-12 skeet fields would. Hell, the cost of their bunker trap was close to what 4-5 skeet fields would cost.

The US Open would yield 300-400 shooters on a rotational basis. They would also be eligible to hold the OH state shoot, and the Zone shoot, also on a rotational basis, as well as any other shoots they wanted to coordinate on their own.

18. Setterman

Ask Scotty at Detroit Gun Club what they make on a large skeet shoot.

In 93' we put in a skeet field with volunteer labor. $13,000 then.

19. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I could possibly see 4 if there is a demand. Ten to twelve, probably not.

When a group of us started JMS (prior to Black Wing) we were fortunate to buy used houses on skids from Winchester in East Alton, Ill. One high and one low.

WE had little invested then and most of the work was volunteer. It stayed busy most of the time.

Back then, there were mostly private clubs that shot skeet and most shooters went to Wright Pat. AFB.

Regards.....Gerald