1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cardinal Center targets and other Comments

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GoldEx, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

The orange dome targets are great on banks 1-4 and leave a whole lot to be desired the rest of the way down. Shot against the sky, those orange domes are great. Against the trees, they appear as half sized targets to your eye. It is a tough compromise with a diverse background like they have at Cardinal. The NY style would be a better choice for that facility as it gives slightly more orange for the trees while still keeping the contrasting black ring for the birds that make it to the skyline. Just My Humble Opinion.

Regardless of targets used, I cannot say enough about the facility. I attended the Cardinal classic the first year when the grounds were still very new. I could not believe the change a couple years have made. All of the shade shelters along the trap line as well as all of the new campsites that have been installed. I have been shooting registered for 10 years and this is the first time my family has come with me on a trap shooting trip. Photos of the grounds and the pool on-line was the determining factor for them. They all said they want return next year. The MTA in Mason Michigan puts on a great shoot but lacks the ameneties for the rest of the family while dad is out shooting. That may not be a fair statement as the Cardinal was a campground converted to a trap club but it is what it is. Other clubs across the country are seeing double digit declines to some of their biggest shoots while this place saw better than a 50% increase over last year at this same shoot. Cost of gas?? Cost of Lead??? Apparently not a problem in mid-Ohio. They must be doing something right.

The RJ Stuart software used to squad and cashier should be used at all major shoots. It was great to show up on the trap line with a full squad of people when that is what you were expecting. Not being able to pull more than one ticket per event is great. Are you listening MTA?? The people at Cardinal have done a fantastic job of putting together a wonderful facility for both shooting and family recreation. I think the addition of a couple of horse shoe pits would be nice on the back side of the pond and in the open area behind the 100 number campsites near the office. Cheap to install too. The free concert was fantastic too. I look forward to seeing those talented kids next year!

Jeff Klueger
    Howell, MI

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

GoldEx,

I had trouble on bank 6 over the first morning singles -having shot MI. all orange targets all year.

Others however did very well over the same bank, I guess my eyes took some time to adjust to the smaller looking targets in the morning shadows of the trees. Took me a while to recover from that score.

I guess it would be out of the question to throw all orange on the tree side and black rims on the sky side. At least now, I know you can choose banks.

Great shoot,Nice place - I'll be back for more.

Shannon Mayes

3. Terry L A

Terry L A TS Member

First time that I attended the shoots at Marengo. The facility had a nice feel. I liked the atmosphere-vendors, food, campground, pool, golf cart usage, quality shoot. Shells and components were the best prices I have seen this year. I was a little surprised the pay window closed at noon on such a large shoot-I almost missed paying for my handicap event. I believe the Cardinal staff will be changing that noon cut off time as the shoot grows. Nice place and I will be back. Terry

4. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I shot a lot of my targets on bank 6 too. Shot on 3, 4 and 9 also. That one tall tree was a real bugger on bank 6. More than once, the target came out of the house and I swung the direction of that tree and pieces fell down. I never saw the bird break. The two targets idea would be nice but I doubt it would ever be done by shoot management. I am never a real advocate of removing trees for no real good reason either. There is probably a nice deer stand back in that patch of trees anyway. The lesson to be learned here is to pre squad and squad where you want to shoot. As long as there is no bank scramble, why not put in your request for anywhere on banks 1-4? You have essentially the same target on all 16 traps. That cannot be said for the other 20. Some have half and half trees and sky. Others have all trees the same distance and others have two different distances and heights of trees with a large dirt mound (flatten that thing out!!)

Another thing I noticed which I never really got a good answer on is the target setting procedure. We use a radar gun to set targets at our club as we have a 30 foot deep hole in 2 feet of water at the 50 yard stake making it very unpleasant for someone to stand there except for when it is frozen or dried up. We use a target hoop to set the height and the gun to set the speed. You can get a pretty good visual as the where the targets are as they pass the 30' tall 50 yard stake. At Cardinal, the targets I shot all week until Sunday looked ungodly flat. I was not the only oerson making this observation. All traps all week. Sunday they were high as the wind changed direction. High as in where they should have been on the other 4 days. Can someone please give me an explanation as to how you can set targets with just a radar gun? If you have no idea as to how high the target is or how far it is flying, how do you know they are set properly??

Jeff

5. zinger

zinger Member

I shot on bank 6 numerous times, both singles & handicap and didn't have any problems seeing the targets. I do want to offer some opinions...and they are only my own so don't start blasting! First off, I think they could move the classification to either one of those little sheds outside, or punch out some windows on the north side of the CEB to keep all the people outside like at PA. This would allow for more classification windows and give room for more squadding people inside. Second, I think there should be 6 classes (AAA), not 5 for a shoot of this size with more trophies for Runner up and classes. The camping was wonderful and the whole facility fantastic! I know they are still in the growing stage and will make all the right decisions to make this "thee shoot to attend"...they even paint the trap houses every morning if anyone happened to shoot one the day before! Who does that? I made a point of eating at the Fishburn's window and thanking them every time for giving us such a first class place to shoot and I can't wait until next year!

6. The Stive

The Stive Member

I shot three events on bank six, one on banks nine and two. I did not have any
    problems seeing targets clearly. I had a great time at this shoot and really
    like the facility. I live an hour and a half away and I am glad that we have
    such a nice place to shoot in our state. John

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

zinger, great shooting in the singles championship gurl!! Congrats! Hap

(edited) I agree with you, a shoot of that caliber and size needs a AAA class!

8. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i'll put my 2 cents in. baNK 7 AND 8. THE DIRT IN front of the traps is actually higher then the rest of the fields. it appears that the tatget is staying in the grass area longer then on any other bank where the ground level is the same as where you stand. If you think about this the background is higher and you don't see the target as fast, coming out of the trap. if they leveled out those two banks it would be nicer. love the place. It will be the premier event of the years. I was there for three days and had to go home but shot pretty good and met a bunch of nice people. Hello Big Papa. nice to see you again. motordoc

9. lc

lc TS Member

First time at the Cardinal
    center grounds. I think it will turn out to be the premire place to shoot if it isn't already. Obviously a great number of people had no problem seeing the targets,(just check the number of punches per handicap event). I assume that Aden will probably have six classes next year, as the shoot will more than likely grow.

Also, I would like to thank all the people that scored, never once was there a problem, and everyone was as polite as I have ever run into at any trap shoot.
    Not once did we ever have to wait for a traphouse to be loaded or for a scorer to be at their bench.

Just a well run shoot and I look forward to next year.

10. Chris_H

Chris_H Member

An announcement was made Sunday morning before the national anthems that said the shoot management would review the trophies and everything. They also said the attendance was almost overwhelming so kudos to management for running such a good shoot with shoot offs promptly following the program. I wouldn't worry about it the management at Cardinal has been so good to the shooters they will take everything into consideration and continue to make the Cardinal Center THE place to shoot.

-Chris Hevener-

11. Beau69

Beau69 Active Member

First time at the Cardinal Center...great shoot, run very efficiently. Its always nice to know when to show up to shoot if you're only shooting the 2nd event, or the doubles, etc. It would have been better to have more trophies (yardage groups, class and runner-up, etc)...for a shoot that big it seems a bit 'harsh' to have 400 people shooting and unless you're a special category, shooting for 2 trophies...which Randy Ross is going to win anyway!

Also, might be an idea to have more options in the handicaps...25's, yardage purse especially...so that if you don't want to donate to the big dogs, at least compete against your own yardage group, etc.

But all in all, GREAT shoot. I can see it growing and growing to take over where the Vandalia Grand left off for those hard-headed old boys that won't drive to Sparta...lol!

Beau

12. cat

cat TS Member

GoldEx (Jeff)

Yes, the MTA is listenting.

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed the Cardinal Center, the targets on banks 1 thru 4 seemed a little flat, while the change in the tree line on banks 5 & 6 made things interesting. It was well worth the 640 mile trip each way from NC. Saved enough on components from AJ to make the trip worth while. Got some good hints on how to handle a new gun. Will be back at least 2 times next year. Shot early squads to avoid the heat. Smooth operation, first class facility, can't think of any negatives. Motel was clean & convenient.

Lou

14. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

Great shoot. The key to the Cardinal Center is they let the shooters have fun. We had a community cook out each night and watched people as they moved around the facility and enoyed the evenings. Rather it was walking or riding on golf carts people were moving about, exchanging shooting stories and just plain having fun.

Lou: Glad you enjoyed the shoot. AJ and I thank you for the comments and your business.

AJ and I will be vending at the Fall Team Shoot at Mason Michigan. AJ should have a deal on shot that should carry everyone into the Winter months!
    We are certainly fortunate to have great shooting venues such as Cardinal, Mason, Mi, and Elysburg in close proximity to one another.

Roger Brenner

15. Baber

Baber TS Member

I found the discussion on target color quite interesting. You ATA shooters are very spoiled. Orange Dome, All Orange, New York etc. I am a bunker shooter and we have one choice world wide ALL ORANGE no matter what the background. You used to have a great orange dome target from White Flyer but somewhere along the line ALL ORANGE became the standard. I hate them. In some lighting conditions they are great and others they suck. Let the target cross the tree line to blue sky and they are gone. Like I said you ATA shooters are so lucky to have the choice.

Tom

16. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

I have been to two Ohio shoots at the Cardinal Center. I went mainly to buy supplies. I have shot several events while I was there. I have a very difficult time seeing the targets come out of the house which lead to a host of other problems. Not sure what it is, but apparently it does not bother most shooters. The flat roof bothers my gun hold point ( low ), because of not being able to hold in the slanted roof as most other places, I have to hold beneath the lid and it causes some visual problems. That is just me. I think it is a great facility and I will attend again, but not just every year. The CEB could be a little larger though. All in all, a great place. Nubs Wagner.

17. zinger

zinger Member

how about this~! All I can say is WOW!

18. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thank you Ohio, I was born in Cleveland back in 1943, this is the 3rd time I been back to Ohio, with a facility like this & fwd thinking mgt, it is a win win for all the shooters who a willing to shoot at a first class facility. Wow ,wow is an understatement. I'll be there next year & by then I'll be able to to do justice by my new gun that Mr. Dennis DeVault made for me.

Lou---

19. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

Zinger: WOW! It will only get better as Mr. Fishburn and staff continue to grow...what a FUN place. Thanks to everyone involved. Roger

20. zinger

zinger Member

Roger, thank you and AJ for vending and for having a great selection of shells and components. We appreciate you vendors who put up with all the nonsense that only the public can give..lol
    Bruce and I were happy to see old friends again. Thanks to all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.