1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Card Key Systems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gross Man, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

My club is thinking about putting in a Card Key System to pay for rounds. What are your experiences or recommendations. Thanx, Billy

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I use smart cards for time keeping in my shop, they work great for that.

tony

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

You can call Mike Elton at golden west he installs them at diffrent clubs.

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

A bunch of the sporting clays courses use them, but how do you use them for a trap squad? Surely each shooter doesn't shoot one shot, then walk over remove his card, and then the next shooter puts his card in.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Cards cost more than the round of targets. When they walk away you lose money. Tokens are the way to go, if they are lost or forgotten the club makes money.

HM

6. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

NO

cards work fine

just take a deposit and they will be returned !

7. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

Cards have to be "re-charged" by someone with a card coder, which means more administration, on top of what the previous poster mentioned about the cost of the cards. Card systems need administration on a full-time basis, pure and simple. If you're talking about just running trap or skeet machines, a token system is a simpler and more clear-cut way to go. Put a token vending machine somewhere secure that only club members can access, say in a locked clubhouse or skeet/trap house, let them put cash into the vending machine for as many tokens as they need, and the machines only throw a predetermined number of targets per token, that's it. It keeps people honest and once the system is up and running, needs minimal maintenance. Most clubs that have installed these systems have recouped their investment in a year or so. You'll also find out, interestingly enough, that if you're switching over from an honor system to a pay-to-play system, the members who protest the loudest about it are usually the ones ripping off the club for targets.

8. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

Lincoln Trap & Skeet is using the TargetKey system from LongRange LLC.

I don't know much about the details , but it is a nice system IMHO and easy to use. You might contact the club by email for more info on the system. I have included the address above

All the LT&SC trap ranges are wired voice calls, and the system is only available to be used when the club is open. It is also in use on the Skeet ranges, but I do not shoot skeet, so I don't know the setup.

Every member has a key for his own use and can recharge the key in the club office.The key is registered to the member and the club can track its use. I often buy $100 dollars worth of targets at a time.

Right now I think we are getting 26 or 27 targets for each round.

Good Luck,

Dan W

9. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Thanx for the inputs - Our club's plan is to have the vending machine in the club house and and vend 28 birds per round. Based on the inputs, sounds good to me. Thanx, Billy

10. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

I shoot at Lincoln Trap and Skeet, and was on the Board during the installation of the TargetKey system. I will make a comment for you to consider. (I am not pointing fingers or intimating that any shooters are dishonest.)

You say that you are going to issue 28 targets per round. You need to consider that "enables" a 12% target loss. If you are currently loosing 20% of your targets (unpaid) cutting that to 12% will help, but 27 will get you down to a 8% max loss and 26 gets you to 4%. If you have problems with targets breaking you may have to keep the number up.

LTS started at 27 targets per round and has now gone to 26. There are times where a couple of targets break on a single round (before a few spares are banked) and an extra target need to be put on by management so the round can be finished - BUT - this is rare.

Remember that the target cost is not the total savings to be had. To make up for lost targets you have to stock more targets, transport them to the trap and load them - all of this adds cost to each target.

Experience has shown that after there are 25 "extra" targets on the system that they occasionally get shot by someone as a "free" round. Even having a few extras on the system at the end of a round seems to encourage some to shoot them up. The TargetKey system has a special type of key that removes remaining targets, and the employees remove the extras when shooters are finished and there are a significant number of extras on the system, if there are only a few they are left on.

Again - there are very few people that abuse the system like this and I am not picking on ANY body.

John

posted by me as me - this is not an official club response.

11. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Our club is getting away from the card system...many problems with cards and/or readers and going to a coin (token) system from Briley. 1 coin will allow 27 targets at skeet or trap...and, yes, many shooters shoot all 27 targets; 26 seems reasonable...28 is too generous. Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.