1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Car value ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Is it more adavantageous to do the following. I am now using my shooting car for appox. 30 k miles a year. The question is if I buy a 1 year old left over & trade it every year, it is now a 2 year old car with 30 k on it or if I buy a curent model & trade it every year with the same mileage ? Am I taking a bigger hit for two year old with average 15k/yr or a one year old with "high" mileage 30K?

Thanks---Phil Berkowitz

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Cars lose a lot of value the first few years. The most when they are new. Why not buy a two or three year low mileage old car and drive it 30 k or more? The cars anymore will go 100,000 with out so much as a tune up.

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell, you're spending way to much money on cars.

I try to buy one that is at least 2-3 years old, with low mileage, and then I run them up to 180,000 and do it all over again.

You can save yourself a lot of money by not buying newer cars every year or two.

Hauxfan!

4. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

There are only two kinds of car buyers. You are a "want" buyer or you are a "need" buyer. As a former car dealer, there are lot lot more wants then needs. Buy a low mileage (teens) used car and can be same current year or year. Dealers buy these care from the mfrs. substantially below market price. Don't go by Blue Book, Black Book, NADA Book and these are just guides. Used car wholesale values are set at the major auctions and change often. Drive it 3-4 yers and do it again or drive it until it wears out. Quality in cars is a given today and all manufacturers have quality products. You don't normally have problems what the trans., engine drivetrain. Usually with door regulators, fan motors, switches etc.and stuff along those lines. The warranty goes with the vehicle and not the owner.

Good luck

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I buy a one-two year old car or truck and then drive it for 400,000 miles....doesn't owe me anything by then.....

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

dont buy a leftover Lou( Phil), you can buy a current model for same price. New cars are a thing of the past for me. I buy used and save$$$

7. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

I buy them old people cars that no one wants. Mercury Marquis, lesabre, park avenue, century anything chrysler. Pickem up for a quarter with 50-80k on em and drive them till they're gone. I keep a good truck for when I need to now, I used to drive my truck and wear it out now I just use the old bombs.

Look on the back row of the car lots, I find a few there. The obituaries are a good place to look for deals. Sounds awful but works well. I have bought several cars and more than 1 house that way.

8. warren

warren Member

You can buy five, five year old cars for the cost of one new car why would you buy a new one, the guns sure don't care.

warren