1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Car & Truck of the year

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The Hyudai Genesis & the Ford F-150---just won the car & truck of the year award at the Detroit auto show. We'll we're half way there. We do trucks right. Next year we'll do cars.

Lou

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

American trucks are as good as they get.....it's the cars that we REALLY need to improve. We're still not even close to Toyota and Honda (and most other Asian brands) in that segment, but better than the Europeon name plates.

I just don't understand it. It's not new technology....but, higher quality does effect the bottom line and until we stop coming up with stupid slogans like "Quality is Job 1" (when we REALLY mean "Profit is Job 1"), we're always going to make junky cars.

JMHO

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

My wife bought herself a Hyundai Azera last month and I was really impressed with the car. My wife loves it but I like the speed 150 top end and 95 in the quarter. I like my f150 best though, the ride is great and with the super chip it will go. Jackie B.

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Motor Trend's Car of the year is a big joke. Just lok at the past history of the "CAR of the Year" most of them just about lasted one year. I had a 1974 MustangII -Ghia ( nothing but a dolled up Pinto)---rusted out in less than 3 years, water pump failed in less than 6 months.

Lou

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

WOW...Toyota and Honda must really be hurting to not be able to buy the car and SUV honors...they don't try for the truck award because then the buy-off would be too obvious

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Tron, you wrote - "Quality is Job 1" (when we REALLY mean "Profit is Job 1"), well they ain't doing so good in making a profit either. Hell they haven't made any money in years.

7. Tron

And the reason why is because nobody wants to buy junk anymore. What we have these days that we didn't have 20 or 30 years ago is CHOICE. Yes, we have lots and lots of manufacturers to choose from and it's getting more competitive every year.

Sometimes you hear people say "but our cars have less or equil defects as the Japanese do". Well, that may be true, BUT, which car do you think will have less problems at 100,000 miles? Which one will be much more likely to make it to 200,000 or beyond? Let me tell you, because I used to work on all makes and models and there really is NO comparison when you look at it in those terms.

Personally, I feel it's too late for the big 3 to regain the car market...but, you never know. I'M NOT AMERICAN bashing here....I'm being a realist and if it's not what people like or want to hear, too bad.

8. Loyac

Loyac Member

Tron is right... I especially like that one commercial by Chrysler that tells me to "GRAB LIFE BY THE HORNS". By the way Joe, there are some great Volvo and MB trucks and big rigs prowling the highways and autobahns of Europe. John

9. chuckles

chuckles Member

Even a crummy (according to some, not me) Ford, GM or Chrysler is better than anything made by some forigner in another country...

America is in the process of learning that the hard way...

Tough sledding ahead...

regards

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Hey Tron, the lowest mileage vehicle my crummy dying business has got is an F250 with 125K, 3 other Fords have around 200K, and we have a 79 F150 with close to 400K. Can't remember doing a damn thing to any of other than change the oil twice a year - April 15 and Oct 15, except for the 79F150 which I replaced a master cylinder.

Don't know why American cars get a bad rap.

11. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Remember, the Chevy Vega was car of the year.......LOL......Roger

12. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I have had pretty good luck with GM pickups. I got over 263,000 miles out of my '93 K 2500, and it still had more life in it. But the GM cars I have had were not near as good. I think that one of the biggest problems that I had, was the dealerships not being able to take care of problems that arose when the vehicles were still under warranty. I got the impression that once they sold you a vehicle, they could care less about you or the car.

13. james25889

james25889 Member

Bisi they get a bad rap because my chevrolet needed 3 trannsmissions to get 38,000 miles. i will not buy another chevrolet.there junk

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I will be hunting for my next car this spring..it will be an American made Ford product...I'll be looking for a mint Merc Marauder with the 32valve Cobra 4.6L big black and very fast ..and lotsa good ol American steel in case I get crazy and lose it ...hoping to reasearch it to find which ser. # range would cover its last year so I can find maybe the nearly last one off the line

15. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

For me, the "vehicle" of the year is one that starts up in the morning and gets me to work, and then starts up in the evening and gets me home. These days, anything else is B.S. to me. I've been running a trouble-free '95 Pontiac Bonneville as a daily (110 miles a day) driver while my '03 BMW 325i sits in the garage through the winter. The Beemer has been a good car since I bought it new, but it is just getting too $$$$ to maintain & repair at 100k miles, for my 550 mile per week commute. It cost me over a thousand $$$ to get it through inspection earlier this month, but that included 4 new tires. Anything on that car is a minimum $350.00 bill to get fixed. I'll keep the BMW and run it on the weekends, but that old Pontiac costs me a pittance to operate by comparison. - JoeBerg

16. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

If you think Motor Trend has any credibility check some of their past car of the year picks:
    1963--American Motors Rambler---1971 Chevy Vega ---1972 Citroen SM--1974 Mustang II--1975 Chevy Monza 2+2--1976 Dodge Aspen/Plymouth Volare--1978 Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon--1983 American motors Renault Alliance---some real gems---eh!!!!

Lou

17. 2@8lo

2@8lo TS Member

I didn't know that the vega won car of the year. I think they were the only car ever to start rusting in the new car showroom. Still though if you can find a decent one they are great to put a nice hopped up small block and a turbo-hydro transmission in and tear up the streets. I have a friend with one with a small block,Blower & Nitrous it's one sick car

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Interesting insight from Tron. I agree that US made trucks are very good and maybe too good since they last for 200K miles these days when people are parking them more than driving them. The US auto makers really need top quality cars that are better values than offerings from Honda and Toyota.

Here is a variation of the question; what percentage of us are considering buying a new vehicle in 2009? No way for me, and I'll bet that less than 10% of the TS.comers do.

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

No new cars on the horizon for me in 2009.

For that matter, nothing until the kid graduates from college.

Until then, I will have to keep the '94 Suzuki Sidekick running.

20. Tron

Suzuki's are junk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.