1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Car Trade in

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tracyhunter, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

this week i went car shopping.first to the Honda dealer but he low balled my dodge because no one wants a dodge.cant sell them.then off to the Toyota dealer.same story.cant get rid of them.so i went to the dodge dealer.i thought they cant tell me they are no good because they sell them.same low ball trade in.heres the kicker.your car is in good shape and has been well cared for but,are you ready for this,the front bumper has bugs in it and we would need to replace it because they are embedded to deep to just paint over.our cost would be over 1K.Ford dealer tomorrow.see what happens.

Tracy

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Maybe ya should drive slower, that way the bugs wont get stuck so deep in the bumper. Goodluck.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

What is the year, model and mileage of the Dodge?

Ed

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

or weave wildly so you only hit the small bugs

5. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

ed,its a 2005 grand caravan,58000.

6. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

What was the bid? It would probably sell for 7 of 8k$ retail. Can't get financing on it because it don't book too well. Plenty good vehicle and great on miles though. You should probably be selling it on your own. You will always get more out of it that way. A dealer takes it in then he has to have mechanics check it out, they do not work for free. Replace whatever needs replacing, detail it, write down, doc fee...John

7. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Unfortunately there is little demand for minivans. They are out of style now, crossovers have taken over that segment of the market.

8. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

if you want to go the route of dickering with a dealer on your trade-in, spend the $$$ to get it detailed. If there are really "bugs" embedded in your bumper, it sounds like it could use a good professional detail job.

9. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

bcnu,, the Honda/Toyota dealers offered me $4500.the Dodge dealer $5000.John Galt,you are correct,in fact i am trading for a small 4x4 SUV.going to look at a Ford Escape today.if you had put the engine you invented into production we would not be in this mess.thanks alot:)

Tracy

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Don't trade it in. Put it on craigslist.

11. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Mini Vans sit on lots forever....just not worth the space or upkeep.

12. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Don't fprget the sales tax difference. In NY its mostly 8% so on a 5000.00 trade in you will pay 400.00 less for the auto you get. You only pay on the difference. So its like getting 5400 for your trade in.

13. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Tracy,
    I solved that issue long ago...........I'm driving the only car in Florida that is so slow/underpowered that it hits a luvbug and won't kill it...Go Figure!

14. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

That bid is about right on the money. That is why you should just get it detailed and sell it yourself. A dealer can't pay you retail when they take it in on trade and still be able to sell it and make anything on it.

By trading it in you will save yourself the multitude of tire kickers that will be wanting to come over to your house and drive your vehicle and probably not even be able to but it. You have to have credit or cash and unfortunately most people nowadays have neither.

I work at one of the biggest Chevrolet dealers in Missouri and I would say that about 75 to 85% of the customers that buy are special finance or just one teir above it. You would not beleive how many people come in that can't even buy at all.

John

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Book the car out yourself on KBB.com or NADA.com, that will tell you what the dealer will usually offer you unless they are trying to steal it from you ... Try to sell it yourself and you will be money ahead ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. DJM

DJM Member

If you trade it in versus selling it yourself you leave $1000 - $1500 on the table. Craigs list has made selling used cars easy and does not charge. That is not a bad wage for spending a half day cleaning it up and taking some photos. I am finding most buyers carry cash and do not even ask if you will take a check.

17. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

T%hey are giving you what the car brings on the block. Take into consideration reconditioning. Kelly Blue Book, NADA book, black book or whatever guide you use, they are just guide books and someplace to start. You do not value a trade by what the book says. Like I said before it is what they are bringing at the auction. Due to age, you cannot get financing on it. It is basically a pot-lot car. Hope I did not hurt your feelings.

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My friend made a great suggestion...he buys cars cheap then cleans fixes and flips them....one as clean as you have and of the type would sell easily if you print a nice ad with pic then post it at day cares , grocery store and pharmacy ad boards that are nearest elementary schools...a great family truckster like that will sell to a young family as a second car easily to a brood just starting out who dont have 30k to shell out....also he said newly immigrated enterprenuers would love it to have as a way to start a new taxi type business...the main thing is get the word to the best target customers.

19. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Calvin, would you want to expose yourself to who knows what type of people you would be dealing with. Lot of risk and get the age old would you take story, hold it for me for a couple hundred dollars etc.. Not worth the risk or hassle.

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Thing about car dealers is they make their living at the buy/sell game. They aren't in it to improve your bottom line they are in it it to take home as much money as they can.

I would take the $5K offer and run and hope nobody ever got a picture of me driving a minivan. Or you can go through a bunch of hassles and probably get a bit more on a private sale. But the thing is you will have a hard time finding a cash buyer these days that wants this rig. Anybody with cash and/or decent credit can do better on just about any car lot - it is a buyer's market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.