1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Car stereo question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I have a '86 Toyota 4X4 truck. My last Toyota brand stereo bit the dust so I bought a nice one from a '94 Corolla, double din with 6-CD changer for ten bucks. When I get the volume anywhere near max the thing starts shutting itself off, then comes back on. In and out. Not just the volume, the entire unit. My speaker leads are polarized plus and minus but I'll check them again. I actually ran a ground in from the battery to make sure the ground was solid. Also, it continues to run with the black ground wire unhooked. I've installed a number of stereos and never seen anything like this. The speakers are new and rated for 40 watts. Any ideas?

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It may be that these speakers are supposed to "float", that is neither side of the circuit has any potential to ground. Try it without the speakers contacting the vehicle.

HM

3. Jamnss

Jamnss TS Member

It could be getting the the ground from the antenna ground. If you pull the ground wire then unplug the antenna wire the power should go off. The radio could be seeing a low impedance and making it go into protection. Check the impedance on each speaker wire at the radio. It should be around 4 ohms. If it is lower this could be the problem. Make sure you unhook the wires from the radio when testing. There also could be a problem with the radio. Might want to try a different radio if speakers check out to be ok. Good luck. Jeff Ryals.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

1) You might be experiencing what used to be called 'clipping.'

As you increase the volume you are essentially forcing more current through the wires/speakers. At some point you will overload their ability to resist the flow and they will become a short circuit rather than a working circuit (think light bulb filament).

Most stereos have circuitry to prevent this by stopping the flow to the speakers when these conditions occur. Not sure why the unit shuts off - this typically would just kill the output, not power to the whole unit.

I suspect the resistance across your speakers (as a whole) is too low - that is when clipping occurs.

2) Most radios ground through their frames to the chasis of the car - any metallic contact that links the radio to the car (battery) has the potential of serving as a ground.

Have you tried adding a red wire to the battery as well to see if it is a power input issue??

Remember, you fried the old radio - any idea why?? The new one is essentially a junk yard 'pull' so it's history is not 100% either - food for thought.

David D

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Why do you need to have the volume near max? Keep the level down and you won't have a problem.

Eric

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

You're a shooter and you wonder why I want the volume up? LOL also there is NO sound insulation in those old trucks. You get every bit of wind and road and exhaust noise so I have to override that noise with the volume.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. That gives me some things to check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.