1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Car Safe

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by OhioSkeetShooter, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OhioSkeetShooter

OhioSkeetShooter Member

Hello Fellow Shooters,
    Currently my father and I are working on a project for our car. What we would like to do is make a "car safe" out of wood. No, this does not need to be a secure as a real safe for our house, we just want something that is burglar resistant. This "safe" would go in the well of our Honda Minivan, so we do not have a ton of room to work with. So my questions are, have any of you attempted this? What features do you think I should have in this? Is it even feasible? Thanks in advance!

-Wes

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Have one built by Ron Ainley at Ainley Kennels, Dubuque IA. Made of steel and aluminum, and priced lots better than "Truck Vault"

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You will also have to look at weight. Aluminum would be good but costly. If you were going it by your self then go find some seasoned white oak boards and go from there. Its very hard wood and it will slow down anyone from getting in the box.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I made one for the back of my Jeep Wrangler. Pull out drawer (two), and installed carpet on the top. About $100 in material..

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I gave up trying to make a reasonable secure car safe. Instead I took a John Hall case, peeled back the lining and installed aluminum angle irons down each of the side. I then installed a hasp through the aluminum angle next to the locks. My vehicle has 2 folding hasps. If yours does not, install one (or nmore) through the rear deck.

When I leave my guns in the vehicle, I merely slip a piece of chain around the John Hall case (one loop), through the hasp on the case and then through the hasp on the car. I use a combination lock and leave as littlem, slack as possible. Now a potential thief would have to break into the vehicle and cut the chain in order to get the case out. While this does not prevent a prepared burglar with a bolt cutter, it defeates the "smash and grab" guys who are the bulk of the perpetrators.

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

If you're worried about weight, you could use titanium!!

7. OhioSkeetShooter

OhioSkeetShooter Member

Thanks for the replies so far. I am not super worried about weight (we put just over 250 lbs of shot in the back before). So weight is not really a concern. The Oak idea is something that we may do for the top (as the sides will be hidden down in the well). Thanks for the ideas so far!

-Wes

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Just make the top look like a fortress and that it would take alot of time to get it open. They will look and then leave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.