1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Car Questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wanderer, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wanderer

wanderer Member

Just had my 07 Jeep cherokee, hemi, serviced at 17000 mi. Now the check engine light comes on. Last time I filled tank was in mtns of Colorado, with 85 octane gas. Now we're in desert in Az. Would the low octane gas and now in desert trigger light? Also, if the cause for light is eliminated, does it go off auto, or must it be manually turned off. Have checked the gas cap, it seems ok. As you can tell, I'm not a gearhead. Thanks for any info. Gary E. Gasaway.

2. gusto777

gusto777 Member

Gary . . . Just got my wife's 2007 Grand Cherokee with the hemi back from the dealer's service department. Her car has 21,000 miles on it and the baterry suddenly would not hold a complete charge causing the check engine light to come on. Thought it was odd for the battery to go bad at 21,000 miles but it did.

3. wanderer

wanderer Member

Hi Gusto:

Doesn't seem reasonable does it? Battery should last longer than that. However, my battery is working ok. Would like to avoid another trip to the dealer over the check engine light. Thanks, G.E.G.

4. wanderer

wanderer Member

Hi Pat: Have tried the high octane fuel and light still on. Will try the battery disconnect. Thanks, G.E.G.

5. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Get it scanned at autozone. They do it for free and tell you what the code probably means. It will give you some sort of general direction. It takes only a minute or two.

6. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

When does a Jeep warranty end? When you drive it off the lot? Check engine at 17K ought to be a warranty fix, regardless of what it is.

7. wanderer

wanderer Member

Hi Folks:

Problem solved. While under hood to disconnect battery, per Pat's suggestion, checked air filter to make sure a new had been installed. It had, but when the cover was replaced it was only hooked up at front end and was open at back. Corrected this, disconnected battery, and today ran to club and back, a total of 90 miles, without the light. So, thanks for all the input. G.E.G.

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

New cars batteries are not that good. My mother bought a Ford and I know of others who bought a new Ford and had to replace the battery within 18 months. I was told by battery stores and garages that if you get 18 months out of the new car battery you got lucky.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You must be joking. HMB

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Auctioneer, if it goes bad they will replace it free of charge up to the three years warranty. Mine was replaced recently(almost three years) with a new battery and has a new warranty by manfacturer. Jackie B.

11. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

OK to have your codes read by a place like Auto-Zone but WHATEVER you do,don't wipe the codes. The dealer will need this past history stored in the computer to determine the problem. Just giving him the codes when they are no longer there won't help.

12. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

It may not be problem solved... When you disconnect the battery it clears the codes. It takes a few cycles in a row for the problem to throw a code, and a few more cycles without a problem turns the check engine light back off. 90 miles is not sufficient. It very well may be the problem, but you should have gotten it scanned.

13. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

All products quality has suffered in the economic times. Even Honda and Toyota have had uncharacteristic issues.I was reading this week about Honda 4 cylinder engine blocks getting antifreeze in the oil. Casting issue.

WANDERER: USUALLY gas from one area of the United States will run the same as another, but fuel mileage will suffer. It is due to both temperature and altitude. The one exception is California fuel. It is crap ( what we have brought back and tested). I would believe 85 octane gas in Colorado would actually be 81 or 82 octane, and I doubt the 5.7 Hemi would like it. It would probably run on it but issues would pop up. Mis-fire most likely. Maybe not enough to notice but the computer sees it. 89 octane will usually test at 87 as an average. Birdtracker

14. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

In CA. I run my '08 Dodge Charger Hemi on 87 octane and the car performs well... very fast. So if a shiny red Dodge Charger pulls up behind you--- get out of the way. Fred

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

First there any number of sensors and circuits that could trigger a check engine or MIL (malfunction indicator light). Did you tighten the gas cap after filling up? Did you top off the tank? Did you have the key in the ion or run position when filling up? How long after your last fill up did the light come on? Chrysler has a big problem whit leaks small and large in the fuel system that sets the ck engine light. Go toa Pep Boys and have them tell you what the code is I can tell you circuit the problem is in and apprx cost of reapir.

16. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

I rented a car from National last week and had to sign a waiver saying I would not fill it with 85 E ( Ethanol) gas. First time I have run accross that.

Not sure if is related to your problem or not.

Jim

17. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

The silliest things in the world will sometimes cause a code to be thrown. I once had a code thrown because the vehicle "read" low voltage to the cruise control; the vehicle had not been driven for a while.

If you drive a lot, that is long cross country distances, I think you would enjoy a "Scan Gauge" that plugs into the OBD II. It will tell you all kinds of things from accurate mph, manifold pressure, coolent temperature, rpm, instant mpg, read and clear codes, etc. Costs retail well under $200.00

Learn it and you will learn what is "normal" for your vehicle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.