1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CAR PROBLEMS ?????????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by KEYBEAR, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

My wife has a 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis with 145,000 miles . We bought it new and I have done the service every 4,000 miles . We have had zero problems with this car . I would of traded it at 100,000 miles but no the wife likes it ??

Now the problem it has oil in the coolant and is about a quart low on oil in 4,000 miles . This is the first time the oil has been down at all in that milage . It,s the smalll V8 what can it be ?? Big problem ot not ??

ALF

2. David Knapp

David Knapp TS Member

HeadGasket?= expensive repair if that is the problem.

Dave Knapp

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

A quart of oil in 4000 miles is WELL within factory guidlines, even for a new vehicle. The 4.6L along with the other modular engines are very very good, but are usually replaced rather than rebuilt, even at the dealer. They are quite complicated with tight tolerances and there's not a lot of guys out there that know how to put them together right. They are nothing like the old push rod engines from yesteryear.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

one quart of oil 4000 miles no problem. oil in the coolant, thats a problem. Headgasket most likely. My second car is a Crown Vic 4.6 engine. Great car. I just drove it to a shoot today and I would rather drive it than the pickup

5. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

ALF- I sent you a p.m. make sure its not trans oil in coolant and just a simple radiator issue. Using just a quart isn't out of the norm. Don

6. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Alf, I have a 98 with 28,000 actual miles on it for 4000. Bill

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Like cubancigar said a quart of oil in 4000 miles is no problem, but getting coolant in the oil is. I would just keep an eye on it for a while, I might try a can of radiator sealer or block sealer and see what that does.

If it starts giving you trouble I would just look for a different one. There are plenty of low mileage used ones out there. The old woman who lived next door would get a new Grand Marquis every couple of years. She still thought cars were like they were in the 50s wore out after 30K miles or 3 years.

They really are great cars, ugly but functional. My 83 year old Mom has had a couple of em. I'm in charge of keeping the service up on it, just change the oil every once in a while. I can put the whole extended family in the thing if need be; Mom, Sis, brother in law, brother,etc.. and haul them to a family reunion or something. The trunk will hold all the shells and guns a couple of trapshooters would use for a week.

8. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Ford/Mercury cars with the 4.6 v-8 had problems with the intake manifold in the early engine production run. They were made of plastic which would fail allowing coolant to mix with the oil. I don't know if this problem extended into the 1999 year or not but you might want to check to see if the manifold has failed.

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

BISI
    My motor is putting oil in the coolant not coolant in the oil ?? I,m going to have it check,t out tomorrow . I have been after the wife to trade for two years I guess this week will work .

Thanks to all . ALF

10. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Alf-99: you definitly got the strange one. Maybe Tron has heard of this. The intake deal was external coolant from all I seen. The intake had a 7 year warranty from day of in service and unlimited mileage. Trading looks pretty good!! Birdtracker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.