1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Car Company, Gas Company are in Bed w/t Each Other

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have always said that the gas co have always bought every patient that saved gas or energy. I always thought the car co did the same thing. Well GM has now been out of the black for about a month and now have come up with a hybrid car that gets 230 MPG. They were broke and now are pulling out a of the closet a state of the art car that gets that kind of mileage. What timing.

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I guess the fact that the car in question has been under development for the best part of this decade has nothing to do with it - that wouldn't be as tasty as a good old conspiracy theory.

Ed

3. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Possibly, another ploy by GMs marketing division, who in the past has ruled the roost with many bad decisions.

I knew a retired GM engineer that worked in the diesel division about the time the 350 Diesel hit the market. He said they knew it wasnt any good but they (GM) wanted to get the jump on the competition.

Lets hope R&D takes a larger role in the development of GMs future, if it has one.

Regards....Gerald

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Most of those "MPGs" come from running the electric moter instead of from the gas engine.

5. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

It was just a few months ago GM's Volt was advertised as getting somewhere around 40MPG. Things sure changed quickly.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

When you're talking about cars like this, mpg is somewhat meaningless. You're not using all that much "less energy." You're just using less gasoline. You are still using energy in the form of kilowatts consumed by your electric meter in your house. The advantage there is a power plant, which generates that electric energy, does it more efficiently and with less pollution than your car.

Plus...that car's anticipated MSRP is around $40,000

You going to buy it at that price?

I didn't think so.

Me neither.

I would if the price was more competitive.

7. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

Well said timb99- it's amazing how gullible people can be with idiotic claims like how this vehicle gets 230 mpg. If you never drive the thing more than 40 miles (it's range on electric only), it's mileage would be 1,000,000 mpg or more (infinite actually). That doesn't mean it uses no energy.

I ain't buying one of those Volts either. Wouldn't buy one at half the price since it wouldn't satisfy my needs in a vehicle.

Auctioneer, which patents did the oil compaines and/or auto companies buy?

8. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

If Obama gets his way and cap and trade is passed the cost of electricity to charge the batteries plus the initial cost of the car will negate any savings.

9. Auctioneer

Milkbone, any and all of them. I use to work for a hot air balloon co. To make a long story short I said something about gas co buying anything that saved energy and the customer got pissed. It turned out that he was a big guy in Exxon. Before he left he admitted that they do buy all patients that they can that save energy.

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

And they have a clever Congressperson to guide them. Wouldn't want to live in MI.

11. oz

oz Active Member

230 MPG HA! wait till you turn on the air conditioner (if it has one) oz

12. Auctioneer

HA those tree huggers go without their A/C yeah right.

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Reality is more like about 35 mpg, according to reports.

The design of this car is different from the current hybrids. This one is 100% driven by the electric motor, off batteries. The gasoline engine ONLY comes on when the battery is depleted, and ALL it does is run a generator to charge the batteries.

IF, you only commute less than 40 miles, the car runs exclusively off the battery. Then you can drive back and forth to work, and plug it in to recharge over night. Only when you get past the 40 mile limit does the gas engine come on.

With the gas engine, you have about a 300 mile range.

They claim, when the gas engine is running, the gas mileage is about 35 mpg.

Even so, this is still not bad. The gas engine doesn't have to cycle up and down like a typical car, which makes it more efficient (all it has to do is charge the battery, so it can run at its best efficiency point to do that.)

The kicker is, if you keep it more than 10 years, you will probably have to replace the battery, which is a large percentage of the cost of the vehicle.

Then...when you dispose of this car, or total it in a wreck...what do we do with all those batteries? Pollution, just a different form. How much of them can you recycle?

Just remember. If this is the wave of the future, guys like me will have to build more power plants to supply power to charge all those battery powered cars!

14. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I didn't know "patients" could save energy....PATENTS, maybe.

And GM is still losing money - that puts them "in the red" not "out of the black"...but perhaps you meant "out of bankruptcy."

Auctioneer....I'll send you some nice shiny tin foil for a new hat. The rays must be particularly strong where you are....

I love a good story, and I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, but lets try to get at least one or two things close enough to right to keep it believable. sheesh.

Timb...you continue to be thoughtful and well reasoned. Always a good comment. And that, sir, is indeed a compliment.

15. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

Just as I thought Auctioneer, you have no documentation, only conspiracy theories. When you get some facts, detail them- otherwise, you're just a conspiracy nut.

16. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

We had a 1989 ford tempo 4cyl, go avg 30-34 on trips. the yoata we got 4 cyl only 30 on a trip. 1989 vs 2005. you are right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.