1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Car/boby shop guys-- 2001 toyota camry

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nanuk, Jun 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanuk

nanuk TS Supporters TS Supporters

OK guys, I know this is a trap site--but there seems be be a lot of diverse knowledge here, so any help/advise would be appreciated.
    My son and grandson (age 3-1/2) were cleaning their 2001 camry when my grandson
    "accidently" alowed the current registraion to slide down the drivers side door panel (I assume between the glass and inside panel).
    My question--can I/we remove the inside panel (I see plugs/screws) and if so are there any special tricks I will need to do---or---do we just take it someplace and pay to have it done or request a new registration (probably less expensive).If it doesn't require any special tools or skill, we would like to try it.
    thanks for reading
    regards
    Bob

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Forget about all the screws and tricks of removing the panel just get yourself a small cutting torch and torch the outside of the door panel off the car and if your a little worried or nervous about doing that just get a cutting wheel and cut the entire bottom of the door out and if your still a little worried and nervous about doing that instead do as Pat suggested and just go to DMV and get a duplicate.

I would have never even thought of or considered taking the door apart but instead would have just cursed and pi$$ed and moaned about the kid making me now have to go to DMV for a replacement registration ...

BTW when do the plates expire on the car? He always could just drive without the registration and if he would get pulled over look and look and look for it while the officer stands there waiting and then just say he cant seem to find it and dont worry, he wont be calling you to bail him out or anything they will still proceed with the ticket and such and then tell him to either find it or go to DMV for a duplicate but if the plates expire in the near future screw it, wait till they expire and he gets another NEW registration when he renews the plate.

BTW who was watching the 3-1/2 year old to be sure he was not getting into any mischief or ... at least he was not in the street playing with the other cars.

3. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

my only concern would be if the paper got wrapped into the window track or the window regulator. Some of the power windows have a cable drive system and an outside possibility of it getting caught up in there. However if that would happen that would be a good time to take the door pannel off or have someone else, until then I think I would get a duplicate registration.

If you do decide to take the panel off there are ussually a series of plastic clips that hold it on along with a couple of screws.

4. ric m

ric m TS Member

Taking the inner panel off the door is not as difficult as one might think.
    Go to the local auto supply and get a repair manual,(always a good thing to have in case an emergency should arise)
    The manual will guide you through step by step.
    If you are at all good with tools you will not have any trouble.
    This type of removal is not major surgery.But is costly if you take it to the dealer.
    Rick

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Leave it in the door unless the window track gets messed up. Wait until you get new license plate stickers and you will get a new registration. If asked for the registration by a police officer, tell him the truth. It is not a big deal and the police can confirm registration quickly.

Pat Ireland

6. Juno

Juno TS Member

Though taking the panel off is rather simple. I agree with Pat.

Juno

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The door panel can be removed in 5-10 minutes

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Man, you guys are lame as Hell. That's childsplay....no pun intended.

Tron

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Make sure as not to damage the vapor barrier while removing the door panel. There is a simple tool you can purchase to help in the removal of the panel without damaging it.

ec90t

10. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Man you all make it sound like its a job for superwoman...as stated above in about 15 minuets you can get behind the panel, the plastic so called vapor plastic peels off very easy as its just stuck on with black goo in most cases..
    any was its simple!

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

In Illinois you get a new registration yearly when you pay to renew your plates. I've never been asked for the registration just as a side note.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.