1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Caps better than singles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

At my last few shoots I'm shooting caps much better than singles. I hold my gun @ the end of the forearm. I use a LM @ 1 oz of 81/2 @1185 for sings. I Use a .20 Briley thinwall with 1 oz of 71/2 @ 1290. I'm a one eyed shooter & I hold low on the back edge of the house. I kind a think I'm rushing my moves on singles. Looking for advice.

Phil Berkowitz

2. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Phil,

Are you asking for suggestions or help.. or just bragging ?? LOL

Jerry B.

PS. Come on down to Sarasota, we'll see what your doing

3. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

My singles ave.for my last 1000 targets 87.7 my handiacap average for my last 1000 targets 90.37 ;o( please let me know when you figure it out.Jerry

4. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Phil,

First off, GET A DECENT GUN (LOL)

What has helped me the most for singles is to make sure I take a good enough look at the target to see where it is going BEFORE I MOVE THE GUN!!!. You have a lot of time to shoot a 16yd bird, no need to rush just be SMOOOOTH.

What's the weather forcast for Sunday? Thinking of coming over for the buckle shoot. I shot at Jax today and did well enough that I want to shoot some more.

Marc

5. nomoloscofoso

nomoloscofoso Member

Priorities I' say, what ya like better?

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

What yardage is your handicap? I always shot like 20 yards was easier than 16. Now the 25-26-27s, that's a different ballgame.

7. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Last spring I recall you were looking for a short yardage handicap drill - I posted to you that the best short yardage handicap drill was shooting singles. There is no shortcut. If you want a winning score in handicap, you need to be able to shoot 96+ in singles. You cannot judge what is wrong with your singles game by shooting a few rounds of handicap. Singles is all about fundamentals e.g. gun hold, eye hold, foot placement, a gun that fits you and comes up the same way every time, etc, etc. I also think a two day lesson and practice are helpful.

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Marc. the weather tomorrow is cloudy, winds NNE 12 mph, high temp about 70, We should be able to get a buckle or two.

Phil Berkowitz

9. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Phil have you used your .20 on 16 yards. Thats what I would try by the fact your avg. is better with it. Myself I use a Imp. modified for every thing.

Dave

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Try shooting a decent load. 1 1/8 of 8's at 1175 for 16's and caps 1 1/8 of 7 1/2's.

Don't mess with the fancy light loads until you break consistly good scores.

Good luck and keep you head down.

Don

11. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

sorry guys but what is shooting CAPS mean?

12. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

Hi Aussie Dan , welcome to the site..

I thought that I would answer your question before some smart ass replys with foolishness..

Caps are a short term for Handicap which is when a shooter ( depending on his skill abilities and winning history ) is penilized to shoot farther back the range yardage during a handicap event..

It doesn`t apply to Singles or Doubles..

If you haven`t heard of the ATA website , it is www.shootata.com

You will get some valueable rules about shooting ATA events and general inforomation on trapshooting from that site..

Any questions , PM me anytime by clicking on my sign in name..

Best of luck with our sport , tell your friends about this site..

You will get valueable information here , TS.com has been a great help to me..

Robert Appleby

Alternate Deligate for the ATA ( Atlantic Provinces )

13. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

Handicap should always be easier. After all, your pattern is bigger isn't it?

14. Dave S

Dave S Active Member

You said you hold your gun with your hand at the end of the forend. Try moving your hand to the center of the forend for singles it will make your gun move quicker.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

16s require disciplined control to score well. That same thing carries over to your handicap shooting once learned how. As Neal said, your pattern is bigger also!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.