1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Canuck Cops: No valid reason to own 67 firearms.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/police-charge-ex-rcmp-officer-after-finding-copious-arsenal-of-firearms-in-home-1.1192191

67 firearms is a "copious arsenal" and "(t)here's no possible reason why anybody would have such an arsenal of weapons,"

What utter nonsense.

I call 67 firearms the beginning of a good collection.

So what say our resident anti-gunners? Do you also advocate a limit on the number of firearms someone can own?

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Its a starters kit.

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

The 67 weapons found in the home were not a collection. Read the facts in the link you posted.

Eric

4. Brian in Oregon

I did read the facts.

"There's no possible reason why anybody would have such an arsenal of weapons,"

Note the key phrase "no possible reason" and the key word "anybody". It's a badly phrased blanket statement.

This is exactly the kind of crap the media and anti-gunners pick up on.

Further, they also cite large amounts of ammunition. Think about that while looking at the flats of shotshells in your garage.

"As police officers, we never want to see this kind of fire power in one place," Insp. Mario Lessard told reporters during a news conference on Tuesday. "It tends to attract attention and could be the target of criminals who want these weapons for their illegal activities."

So a "copious amount" of guns tends to attract criminals and the cops don't like to see that?

Further, a blanket statement was issued that the collection is illegal. That is not always so, if some of the guns were grandfathered in. And Canada used to be less restrictive than the USA for machineguns. They had to be altered to semi-auto only, but they were easier to obtain with the right permit in the 1980s and earlier. Such guns are grandfathered now. The question is, did the police assume they are machineguns or did they actually test them? And have they had time to check the registration records? Keep in mind that many police departments here issue sensationalist press releases that "assault weapons" were found in a bust, and then you see the actual photos and it's an ordinary 10-22 with a "banana clip".

But back to the main issue - It's a poor choice of inflammatory sound bites.

5. coyote1234

coyote1234 Member

I just did an inventory. I have 2,025 rounds of 12 gauge ammo. I am loading more very soon. I am shooting 2500 ATA registered targets in the next 30 days and that does not include practice. OMG, I have an "arsenal"!!!!!

6. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

This guy is a convicted criminal, out on parole, has a lifetime ban on possessing ANY firearms or ammunition. Regardless of the way the cop phrased his comments, this individual should not have had any firearms at all, ever, no matter what.

As for the firearms being in hidden compartments in the walls, so what? That just makes good sense, to hide any firearms you shouldn't have. If you are breaking the law by possession, you might as well hide them, if you can.

The comments, and reporting, are what we have had to live with for decades now, up here. The average cop doesn't know anything about firearms, including the ones they are issued, and doesn't want to know more. ALL forms of firearm are scary, illegal, and should be taken away from those who own them because criminals might get them on the street, if you are to believe the average police mouthpiece. The reporters know even less, so whatever the cop says is gospel.

It looked like there were a few full autos in the collection, which are now totally prohibited, except for those fortunate few who are grandfathered, but the 32" cannon is perfectly legal, so long as it isn't a rifled barrel. A smoothbore cannon of any size is legal up here.

Regardless of the legality of the firearms, his possessing them, or anything else, Brian is right - it is a poor choice of inflammatory sound bites. It is also a pretty mild job of reporting on firearms crime, for the Greater Toronto area.

7. Brian in Oregon

I know several law-abiding gun owners that have hidden wall caches of firearms. In and of itself that is not a crime.

And thanks, Shooting Sailor.

8. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Shooting Sailor,thoughtful and well spoken post.A bad guy with guns,that if the hands of the law abiding citizen,would not be a story.

Darr

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Oh Canada, remember. Guns are looked at a little differently there.

The guy does not look like a criminal. Maybe it is just a misunderstanding. LOL

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Of course there is a valid reason to own 67 (+) firearms starting with reason #1 - because you want to and leading into reason #2 because you have the right to.

I'm not sure why some folks get freaked out over someone owning multiple guns - its not like and individual can shoot more than one or two at a time.

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Ontario has a reputation of being very anti-gun. Police chiefs and politicians would love to have a total ban in place. Hating Toronto is a national pastime here.

Ron Burr

12. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

A vid of a pretty neat "book shelf."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.