1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Canton cop finally fired

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by yakimaman, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Read more
    879 reads

TERMINATED: Canton police officer who threatened to execute concealed carry licensee is finally off the payroll
    Submitted by cbaus on Wed, 01/11/2012 - 15:00.Guns in the News
    Gun Grabbers

by Chad D. Baus

The Canton Repository is reporting that notorious Canton Police Officer Daniel Harless, who was caught on his own police dash cam video last June verbally assaulting a concealed carry license holder and threatening to "execute" him, has finally been fired.

From the article:

Bill Adams, president of the Canton Police Patrolmen's Association, the union that represents Patrolman Daniel Harless, confirmed that city Safety Director Thomas Ream ruled that Harless is no longer a member of the city’s police force.

Ream issued a three-page ruling dated Tuesday.

"It is quite clear that (Harless') actions represented a pattern of behavior where inappropriate verbal abuse and threats of death or great bodily harm of the various complainants occurred,” Ream wrote.

"This escalating pattern of potentially dangerous behavior cannot be justified or excused and clearly illustrates the seriousness of the departmental infractions."

Harless was accused of violating police department rules during the June 8 traffic stop during which police cruiser video shows Harless berating and threatening a man pulled over around 1:30 a.m. on Newton Avenue NW.

In the dash cam video, the officer can be heard unleashing a profanity-laced tirade, yelling, "I should blast you in the mouth right now...I'm so close to caving in your head," and "you're just a stupid human being!" He continued to berate the license-holder, shouting, "You want me to pull mine and stick it to your head?" "People like you don't deserve to f#$%*@g move throughout public. Period!"

After the June cruiser video was posted on the Internet, it went viral. Soon, other videos turned up, revealing a long pattern of deplorable behavior.

The Repository uncovered a video from another incident, in which Harless threatened to send the suspects "to the grave" if they moved, adding, "I will shoot you in the face and I'll go to sleep tonight."

In a third dash cam video uncovered by Cleveland's ABC affiliate, Harless can be heard engaging in yet another profanity-laced tirade, saying, "If you scratch your balls wrong, I'm going to pull my gun and I am going to shoot you."

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Good riddance, Barney Fife. A huge Municipal liability. Just a matter of time before this loose cannon killed somebody wrongfully.

Even if he shot somebody rightfully, it would be harder to defend if he has this kind of personal reputation floating around. (And while we're at it...does anybody at the PD actually ever LOOK at any of these videos?)

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I'll bet he's on somebodies police force! The incident happened in June and just now being fired from the city police department. They were trying to find another place for him to work while he was still drawing a paycheck. Police agencies can be a very corrupt group as they have near absolute power and stick together.

I'm not saying this of all officers/departments, but it happens a lot more than you might think.

ss

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I guess hairless is scratching his own balls now trying to figure out how to pay the bills.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I suspect his public personae will haunt him...

6. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I'll bet we hear about this a$$hole again someday. Ad his resentment about getting fired to his anger management problems and his bully attitude and sooner or later he's going to go off on someone.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    He should have been brought up on charges of intimidation, menacing and making threats. Not simply fired.

8. Libra1310

Libra1310 TS Member

I was personally involved in an incident of police cover-up. I worked at a bar doing security when I threw an off duty officer out for fighting. He waited in the parking lot for almost an hour and started another fight and shot him in the back. The police dept covered it up until he went postal on a deputy sheriff. I wasted lot of time testifying before a grand jury to find out he got fired for road rage.

Chris

9. jwells

jwells Member

the guy had many other problems than what got all the attention over the last year. good riddance, but he will get another job in another town. just like bad doctors and bad teachers, somehow their records never seem to be checked on or follow them to the next job location

10. tachyon

tachyon Member

Safety Director Ream stated during the final hearing that he believed that Harless had PTSD. The lawyers representing Harless will appeal this ruling. They will argue that even the city admits he is suffering from PTSD. I suspect disability pay will eventually be paid to him, some counseling and a new job in law enforcement in another city.

11. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

They are unionized and WILL protect their own as much as possible Right or Wrong!

IA can't even get rid of the bad ones!

In order to insure "trust" of the public, you have to stand tall and call a spade a spade and DEAL with any corrupt officials. Union's WILL NOT let that happen!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.