1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Canting????????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sinker_63, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinker_63

sinker_63 TS Member

Looking for suggestion with canting!!! Recently found that I'm canting the gun slightly counter clockwise towards face (right handed). I have also noticed that I can vary the amount of cant by varying the grip pressure of my right/trigger hand.
    What is causing me to do this??? Is it just a case of "gun fit", or something entirely different? I feel as though the guns grip (391 auto) is too small for my rather large hands. So again could the fact that the grip that the grip area is too small cause this canting to occur?
    I can pick up someones Perazzi or Beretta 682 with there "beefy'er" grip and palm swell and don't seem to cant the gun???????

Final question how will canting the gun in this manner effect POI???? I'm guessing it wouldn't effect an auto as much as doing the same thing with say an O/U where the bottom barrel would totally be off to the right of POA?
    Thanks for any help....

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with canting the gun. Just do it the same amount each time and you won't have a problem. The good thing about canting the gun is that it allows you to put the rib and sight beads in front of your eye without having to tilt your head toward the comb. Keeping your head and eyes level is a step in the right direction. HMB

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Try changing the angle of your recoil pad.

4. Harold

Harold TS Member

Regarding the second part of your question, canting as you describe would put your POI a little low and to the left, if you shoot a very high shooting gun and cant it a lot. A flat shooting gun will be affected very little. It doesn't depend on if you have a auto, O/U, pump, top single, unsingle or whatever, just how high the gun shoots.

5. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

Yeah I might kick the toe of your recoil pad out some like 410 suggests. That is assuming you have an adjustable butt plate. See if your cant doesn't go away.

Then again a cant may not be a bad thing really, unless your gun has a high POI. Like hmb says it may help you keep your eyes level with the horizon. But you really should be able to overcome that with comb adjustments.

I find the best way to make your gun fit without a cant is to mount it with your eyes closed. You should be able to mount your gun by feel and when you open your eyes it's perfect. Or that's the goal anyway. If the gun cants left into your face move the toe of the pad out. If it cants right away from your face move the toe in. cls

6. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

A great many shooters cant their guns. Is not quite as notable with top singles as with bottom singles. But just watch Leo Harrison some time. He has always canted his gun, I do too, but my results are not as good as his. There was a great singles and handicap shooter by the name of Phil Ross. He shot the same model 12 for years. He canted the gun so badly on right angle targets it was almost flat. But his results like Leo's and many others was great. If you set the gun up the same each time the sight picture for breaking the target become ingrained in you brain. Change setting might produce lowere scores. - Jim

7. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

The three common causes of gun canting and all relate to gun fit - too little pitch, too little cast at the toe and too little cast at the heel.

With inadequate pitch, the toe of the recoil pad sticks out too far. To prevent its jabbing you in the chest and to improve gun-mount security, the gun can be canted to move the toe toward the armpit.

With plump cheeks and no cast on the stock, the eye can sometimes be aligned with the rib (in effect, be moved to the right for a right-handed shooter) by canting the gun which, in turn, will sometimes allow the eye to be aligned correctly by moving the lower portion of the stock out of the way.

Most would agree that canting is something to be avoided and as was mentioned, especially, by those using high shooting guns.

The solution to canting is getting the gun to fit.

Rollin

8. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

I'll bet you a dollar that when you mount the gun, the comb nose digs into the base of your thumb and the ball of the thumb lies along the side of the comb nose. When you tighten your grip, the contracted muscle in the ball of the thumb pushes on the comb nose and rolls the gun sideways. The simple cure is to cut the comb nose back. There are a couple other little tweaks to make to the gun and the shooter when the nose is cut back to effect a total cure of the problem.
    Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

canting a shotgun

canting my gun shootgun
canting shotgun
gun canting
gun canting handgun

shotgun canting

shotgun recoil canting
what is canting a shotgun