1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Canting ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

When I mount one of my guns the front & mid bead are not in line. The mid bead appears to be a little left of the front bead. When I lift my right elbow up, the beads are now directly in alignment. I normally don't lift my right elbow to be parallel with the ground. Does what I'm seeing mean that I'm canting the gun in my normal mount.

Phil Berkowitz

2. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

When one cants a firearm, it usually means the sight alignment is correct, however the gun is "tilted." Often the person canting the gun does not realize they are canting it, as the visual cues are not very obvious.

Neil Winston, (I believe it was Neil) published a post where he proved that canting a target shotgun is of no consequence. I experimented with this as well, and found Neil's conclusions to be correct.

bluedsteel

3. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Phil, you are not canting the gun . From your description,your comb needs to be moved to one side or the other, in order to get the eye to centerline of the rib alignment you seek. J.W.

4. zeroed4x

zeroed4x TS Member

Yep, you need left or right cast if you have and adjustable comb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.