1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Canting your butt pad....Good or bad

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by biff, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

For years I have canted my butt pad, I did this because my shoulder pocket is angled slightly to the right.....so I matched the pad to fit. Since I'm always adjusting and changing things on my gun(especially right before an important shoot!)this I always left alone. I recently changed it to be inline with the stock and it fits good and seems much easier to point.

I'm curious as to whether any have changed their pads to canted or neutral positions and whether it helped or hurt their scores. Thanks, Biff

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

The only thing really important is what it does for you.

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Whether or not to cant a butt pad is entirely a personal thing. On most of my target guns, I have installed adjustable buttplates, and do cant them for comfort. But I also have some target guns without adjustable buttplates, and these do fine also. I think the primary benefit of canting a pad for many is that it can help in keeping the gun properly aligned, But many can do this or have adjusted their shooting style to ensure this is a not a problem without a canted pad. However, one part of your post would concern me when you say "I am always adjusting and changing things on my gun........" In my opinion, this is one of the greatest mistakes many shooter make in this day of multi-adjustable target guns. Just because it is easy to change various adjustments does not mean it should be done regularly. In talking with many top shooters and coaches, they consistently note that the shooter should use the adjustments to set the gun up right for them, and then "leave it alone." Constantly changing various adjustments simply means that you then have to get used to the new "feel" of the gun. This can only hurt consistency, and thus overall scores. I know one shooter I see frequently who is always changing comb, LOP, POI, every time he shoots less than a great round. As a consequence, he rarely shoots a great round as the gun is never the same shoot to shoot, and the body/mind meld with the gun never occurs. It never becomes second nature to hold, point, and fire at a given target in the same way, which is essential for consistent breaks. Just my opionion, of course, but I believe the idea of constant adjustments to a target gun are one of the main problems in good shooting for many people today.

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I just can't cant.

Hauxfan!

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Biff,

The need or benefit of canting or rotating the pad depends on several things. First is, of course, the configuration of the shoulder. Next is the correctness of the pitch on the stock. When it is inadequate with the toe sticking out too far, canting the recoil pad or butt becomes more necessary.

The entire pad, top to bottom, should make simultaneous contact with the shoulder when the gun is mounted with the heel of the pad on the collarbone.

There is then the matter of where on the shoulder the pad makes contact. Coupled with shoulder-shape or configuration, placement of the pad can affect the need to cant it.

Finally, there is the position of the head on the stock with the gun mounted. Unless the head and neck are upright, the need to cant the gun or pad can be affected.

Canting the pad can be beneficial, providing it is not canted (to create cast at the toe) to compensate for ill-fitting stock dimensions or flaws in the shooting form.

Rollin

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If it helps you keep your head level and the rib lined up with your eye, it is good. HMB

7. otnot

otnot Active Member

I cant and it feels good. My pocket formed by my shoulder when my arm is raised isn't straight up and down so I adjusted my pad to fit it. It also helps to keep my gun from canting.

8. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I had my stock done by Mark Deprez great job. I went to his house to pick it up and he did a fitting for me length of pull and also canted the pad to the left. I trust that he knew what he was doing so it must be good if your sholder pocket is canted also.

9. biff

biff Active Member

For years I have canted my butt pad, I did this because my shoulder pocket is angled slightly to the right.....so I matched the pad to fit. Since I'm always adjusting and changing things on my gun(especially right before an important shoot!)this I always left alone. I recently changed it to be inline with the stock and it fits good and seems much easier to point.

I'm curious as to whether any have changed their pads to canted or neutral positions and whether it helped or hurt their scores. Thanks, Biff

10. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

The only thing really important is what it does for you.

11. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Whether or not to cant a butt pad is entirely a personal thing. On most of my target guns, I have installed adjustable buttplates, and do cant them for comfort. But I also have some target guns without adjustable buttplates, and these do fine also. I think the primary benefit of canting a pad for many is that it can help in keeping the gun properly aligned, But many can do this or have adjusted their shooting style to ensure this is a not a problem without a canted pad. However, one part of your post would concern me when you say "I am always adjusting and changing things on my gun........" In my opinion, this is one of the greatest mistakes many shooter make in this day of multi-adjustable target guns. Just because it is easy to change various adjustments does not mean it should be done regularly. In talking with many top shooters and coaches, they consistently note that the shooter should use the adjustments to set the gun up right for them, and then "leave it alone." Constantly changing various adjustments simply means that you then have to get used to the new "feel" of the gun. This can only hurt consistency, and thus overall scores. I know one shooter I see frequently who is always changing comb, LOP, POI, every time he shoots less than a great round. As a consequence, he rarely shoots a great round as the gun is never the same shoot to shoot, and the body/mind meld with the gun never occurs. It never becomes second nature to hold, point, and fire at a given target in the same way, which is essential for consistent breaks. Just my opionion, of course, but I believe the idea of constant adjustments to a target gun are one of the main problems in good shooting for many people today.

12. Hauxfan

I just can't cant.

Hauxfan!

13. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Biff,

The need or benefit of canting or rotating the pad depends on several things. First is, of course, the configuration of the shoulder. Next is the correctness of the pitch on the stock. When it is inadequate with the toe sticking out too far, canting the recoil pad or butt becomes more necessary.

The entire pad, top to bottom, should make simultaneous contact with the shoulder when the gun is mounted with the heel of the pad on the collarbone.

There is then the matter of where on the shoulder the pad makes contact. Coupled with shoulder-shape or configuration, placement of the pad can affect the need to cant it.

Finally, there is the position of the head on the stock with the gun mounted. Unless the head and neck are upright, the need to cant the gun or pad can be affected.

Canting the pad can be beneficial, providing it is not canted (to create cast at the toe) to compensate for ill-fitting stock dimensions or flaws in the shooting form.

Rollin

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If it helps you keep your head level and the rib lined up with your eye, it is good. HMB

15. otnot

otnot Active Member

I cant and it feels good. My pocket formed by my shoulder when my arm is raised isn't straight up and down so I adjusted my pad to fit it. It also helps to keep my gun from canting.

16. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I had my stock done by Mark Deprez great job. I went to his house to pick it up and he did a fitting for me length of pull and also canted the pad to the left. I trust that he knew what he was doing so it must be good if your sholder pocket is canted also.

17. Hauxfan

Shootlow, You can't be right.

I looked for my cant pocket, but I can't find it. It can't disappear, can it?

Hauxfan!

18. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

My XT Trap is canted to fit my angled shoulder pocket and it works great but nothing helps my shooting.

19. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have a pad adjuster with a slightly concave Kickeez pad on both of my Trap guns and I cant the pad slightly and drop it down to get more drop at the heel. I have considerable down pitch and have the toe of the pad rounded to Not dig into my shoulder pocket. This is comfortable for me and muzzle jump and recoil are not a problem but I may have a slight tendency to put the pad too close to the ball joint of my shoulder instead of in the pocket. When I had a convex Gooey Pad on my gun the pad went into the pocket sometimes but would not always find the right sweet spot in the pocket. I don't know how the combination of pad adjuster and convex pad like Gooey or Kickeez Rocker would work. I gave up on Gooey pads because they seemed to break down too soon for my budget and a re-install was never cheap.

20. trappug

trappug TS Member

I noticed before I canted my gun that when I would simulate recoil,by pulling the gun back that the gun would twist a little to the left causing the beads to miss align.Based on that I was told it could shoot a little to the right and could possably drop some targets.So after I put the jones adjuster on it and did the same test it did not do that anymore.beads remained perfect stack.Yes on canted gun it works for me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

a adjustable butt plate for slight cant

buttpad cant important

cant butt pad for rifle