1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Canting your barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 2500 HD, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Will adjusting your L.O.P. help avoid you from canting your barrel. I tried out a couple of guns at our club with differnt L.O.P.'s and it seem to help with my barrel canting problem. My barrel will look level with the horizon, but is leaning slightly. If I was shooting a un single I beleive it would affect my scores greatly for the worse. Or am I over thinking this and should just shoot.

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Unless you are canting a lot I wouldn't worry about it. If you get a chance watch big Leo shoot, There is a classic example of a lot of canting.

Jim

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have shot nothing but very high ribbed trap guns ever since I started and I cant tell a difference one way or the other on canting a gun. I personally think people make way to big a deal out of canting.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Canting is good. It puts the rib and sights in front of your eye while you keep your head up straight and your eyes level. HMB

5. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

"<I>I tried out a couple of guns at our club with differnt L.O.P.'s and it seem to help with my barrel canting problem.</I>"

Unless those guns were identical to yours in EVERY respect except LOP, I'd probably attribute your experience to other subtle differences between those guns and yours that weren't obvious to notice quickly.

As has been said, the effect of canting has been exaggerated.

Mike K

6. Flinch8

Flinch8 TS Member

Canting can be a problem with the bottom bbl or with high rib single guns at distance. The pattern could be off as much as half at 35 yrds. An adjustable butt plate will take care of the fitting issue. Don Nix

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The displacement of the POI due to canting has nothing to do with the design of the gun. Top-single, unsingle, high or low rib, O/U, they are all the same. The movement of the pattern over and down is only related to the vertical POI of the gun. The movement to the side, for example, can be calculated by multiplying the vertical POI above the point of aim by the sine of the angle of the the tilt.

For an explanation you can search for "cant" as a subject in Archive 1 and look for 250 instances. You will find "Is effect of cant greater w/high ribs (Winston.)"

Just the first post will get you most of it.

Neil

8. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

I wasn't sure if the L.O.P. was adjusted (say shorter) would square your shoulders to help align the gun more vertical. Was looking for info that someone may have tried this with any success before I cut my stock and find out the hard way. Thanks In advance, Ken

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

As mentioned in a previous Post, using a recoil pad adjuster that can be rotated to fit your shoulder pocket will go a long way to solve a canting problem.

10. lancelot

lancelot Member

I have watched Leo's tape and he certainly does cant. The same with the old Frank Little tapes.

It seems to me that if you get your mind wrapped around the sight picture it takes to break a bird and you shoot the same gun all the time then canting would make no difference. Is this right? Or am I just wishing for something to be. I am a canter.

Neil, I didn't understand your answer. Could you explain for us dumber folks?

Ron Ireland

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'm not having any luck searching the archives, but if I recall correctly, unless your gun shoots really high, and unless you are canting the gun a LOT, canting the gun really doesn't have a huge effect on your point of impact.

You can calculate it.

Oh, and the other part of it is, high rib, low rib, doesn't matter. All that matters is how high your gun shoots above point of aim, and how much you cant your gun (angle.)

12. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

You can't understand Neil's post? How surprising.

13. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Understanding Neil doesn't solve the problem. The gun doesn't fit if your canting it. You should probably ask Leo how high his gun shoots. Not in pattern % a meaningless figure but in inches above his perceived Point of aim.

I'm guessing you would get an answer something like 6" or less.

Joe

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Joe,

Rubbish. A canted gun can fit perfectly. Canting is a good thing as mentioned above. Just look at the relationship between your shooting eye and your shoulder. You have to get the beads and rib in line with your aiming eye. Canting is the way to do it. HMB

15. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

OK, here is the link. Lots of info. I have to agree with HMB, if you don't have a custom stock, a gun off the shelf does not fit everyone the same. Some slight canting is going on. What looks like a cant to you, might be perfect for me. JMO

Wayne

16. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Canting is only making a gun that doesn't fit you fit a bit better.

17. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

It's just as simple as Neil has stated the higher the POI the more can't will effect your shooting. It also shows how a gun may not fit properly if you have to can't it to see down the rib or better explained have your eyes more or less parallel with the bore.
    Joe

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Joe,

Take a look at the human body. The only way to get the rib and beads lined up with your aiming eye while keeping head up straight and your eyes level is to cant the gun. Canting the gun is a good thing to do. HMB

19. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Or a custom flitted stock to your dimensions. I guess that that would be too technical or expensive for you.
    Joe

20. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Gentlemen,

There was an excellent discussion on the subject right here on TS.com about two years ago. I wish I could retrieve the thread, but appears to be lost. Neil Winston did a superb job of illustrating what happens when a gun is canted...and it's NOT GOOD!

The effect of canting is minimal on a flat shooting, low rib trap gun, but it's still there and it becomes progressivley worse with a high rib barrel. It may become real problem with an un-single or the bottom barrel of an O/U.

The topic was also covered in a magazine article at about the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.