1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Canting while swinging to target--help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by d_fixitman, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d_fixitman

d_fixitman Member

People, I have been catching myself while shouldering and dry firing my BT100 that on occasion I will cant the gun. Someone responded to a previous thread that I had saying this could be problem with a top sigle high rib gun like the BT100. My question is what can I do to stop it? Practice, grip, adjustable recoil pad???? I believe this could be the reason for some unexplained misses I may be having. Thanks in advance for any help that may be offered. D. Lewis

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

An adjustable butt plate could help. Also, a lot of practice mounting your gun is a good idea for this problem and it will help with other things. Another option, and it is not a bad one, is just forget about the cant. A cant will change the POI a little but unless it is a major cant, probably not enough to make a big difference. I wounder if Leo H. scores would be better if he did not cant his gun so much?

Pat Ireland

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you are a right hand shooter and are canting the gun counter clockwise you are doing a good thing. You are putting the rib and sight beads in front of your aiming eye. This allows you to keep your eyes level and head untilted. It is impotant to cant the gun the same amount each time you mount the gun.

If you have any doubts about your guns POI a trip to the patterning board will help. Shot a few shots with the gun uncanted and a few with it canted, Then compare the POIs. If the POI needs to be tweaked make the necessary adjustment. HMB

4. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I was canting my high rib Unsingle. Adjustable butt plate solved the problem, but it did take awhile. What I did was loosen the plate a little then mount the gun, swing, and if I was canted, I twisted the stock, while in my shoulder, to remove the cant then I tightned the plate. Much practice needed but now, after I shoot, I look down at the beads, their in-line. Dave T.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You said it happens when you swing on the target? You may find that you are either straighten up or bend more in your back or waist as you swing. Need more muscle memory training.

MK

6. Damifino

Damifino Member

I have thought about designing a small plastic device that has an embedded magnet and a bubble level. You could attach it to the rib and practice mounting the gun. The level will give you a visual reference of the gun's cant (rotational level). it would probably cost less than $4-5 for me to produce in Asia (in quantity) and an advertising logo could be printed on it. Do you think there is a market?

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

More good advice from "hmb"!

D. Lewis, are you saying that you mount the gun and its canted or that your canting the gun when moving to the target? Either way its stock fit but it makes a difference.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Damifino,

Rifle shooters have been using the bubble level on their target sights for the last 50 years. HMB

9. Damifino

Damifino Member

HMB,
    <br>
    Right, similar to those. I was thinking of a device (not perminantly fixed) that would sit on top of the rib to practice proper gun mount.

It wouldn't help what d_fixit is asking however: The level bubble would be effected by the accel/decel inertia of the swing. Would only work properly in static conditions.<br>
    Tom

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

My coach.. Bob Miller always cants his gun.. He's a AA shooter.. To each his own IF it works for you..

11. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

if you have the stock too far out on your shoulder can also cause a cant in the gun.....make sure you have it well in you shoulder pocket.....also arm shooting will cause canting......have a little bend in the knees, and rotate your body to the target, not your arms.

tony

12. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

You can try locking the gun into your shoulder by either raising or lowering your elbow. Hold the gun tight with your right hand and loose with the left hand, for a right hander. Practice swinging from the waist and elimenate arm movement. Become one with the gun. Post-2

13. Harold T. Pack

Harold T. Pack Member

If you are a right handed shooter and the gun is cantered to the right, try holding your right elbow higher. If you are a right handed shooter and the gun is cantered to the left, try lowering your right elbow.

14. d_fixitman

d_fixitman Member

The cant is coming as I move side to side to the target. I know it is a fit and gun shouldering problem. I am also probably using more arms then body to swing the gun. I have moved the gun into the shoulder pocket away from the arm and it seems to lock better. Another thought is that I was holding the gun to perpendicular to the body, If that sounds right?

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

d_fixitman- Your last post suggests that canting the gun is not your problem. The problem is the way you move to the bird. Never use your arms. All movement should be from below the belly button.

Pat Ireland

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat - Are you talking about shooting trap or sex? HMB

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I have problems with not being consistent in my gun mount. Often I set the stock, feeling comfy, but the ribs not square. I used to use a concave pad and had a rough time making the correction without having to take the gun down and starting over.

I solved my problem by installing a "rocker pad." I still cant the gun on the mount but correcting is easy now. Good luck.

18. d_fixitman

d_fixitman Member

I am not a fan of the original concave shaped Browning pad that is on the gun!

19. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I'm right handed shoot both eyes open and for me canting when I am on post 5 chasing a hard right almost seems to be a good thing, I gave up trying to correct it and just shoot the target, seems to work. The problem is the hard left from post one. If I canted the gun towards the target just like from 5 it would work great I think. But I catch myself canted towards post 5, still got my head on the stock and moving to the hard left bird, just that cant working against me instead of helping. I know I cant a little from all the posts but as long as I get a good look at the bird it doesn't seem to matter so I gave up worrying about it. Lately I have been losing hard lefts from post one and I think the cant is hurting me there. I have an adjustable pad and have it set to minimize my canting but it can only help so much. I think old age and arthritis doesn't want to let my joints do what they need to. I may change to 8's and see if that helps.

20. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Just moved my pad to the left and the guys tell me my cant is much less now. Gun locks into my shoulder and face like a rock. We'll see how it shoots. My understanding is that a cant in a mount is bad because it favors one angle over another.

Joe (right hander)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.