1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Canting? What to do?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tuscarora 99, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Hi, I just recently had someone chekc me to see if i was canting the gun and they said i was. I have now noticed i do cant the gun. To the left. What can i do about that? I have an adjustable comb and butt plate. What should i do?

2. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Practice mounting the gun in front of your mirror at home. OF COURSE with the gun UNLOADED. All the best solutions to any problem are solved by the man in the mirror.

Tom Strunk

3. Desert Hiker

Desert Hiker Member

I also was canting, I was told that I take too long at the line trying to make adjustments and thus was pulling the gun to the left. I was asked to walk up to line and within 3-5 seconds have the gun in position and shoot. Within the those seconds I focus on 1. mount, 2. cheek and 3. look in the direction of the target and "PULL". This has worked for me.

4. Desert Hiker

Desert Hiker Member

I also was canting, I was told that I take too long at the line trying to make adjustments and thus was pulling the gun to the left. I was asked to walk up to line and within 3-5 seconds have the gun in position and shoot. Within the those seconds I focus on 1. mount, 2. cheek and 3. look in the direction of the target and "PULL". This has worked for me.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Prior to consulting with the man in the mirror or even looking at him in said reflector. Close your eyes and mount it till it feels just right, then open the eyes. Adjust gun parts accordingly. The man in the mirror, Hap :)

6. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

That is the only reason I ever use my mid bead and that is to check for canting. If mine don't align I know my gun is canted. If you have an adjustable comb you should be able to adjust the cant out of it.

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

If your gun is too long it could cause it to cant to the left. Try removing your recoil pad and mount your gun that way. Is there a difference??

Ed Yanchok

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Probably the primary cause of canting is inadequate pitch on the stock, i.e. the bottom of the stock, the toe, sticks out too far. Canting allows burying the toe of the recoil pad in the armpit.

You can check this possibility by mounting your gun and noticing the way the pad makes contact with your shoulder pocket. (The top of the pad, the heel, should be about an inch above your collarbone.) If the bottom toe of the pad makes contact well before the whole pad, the pitch is inadequate.

The entire pad, top to bottom should make simultaneous contact with the shoulder when the gun is mounted. This indicates the correct pitch on the stock FOR YOU.

If necessary, the pitch can be increased by cutting the butt of the stock to reduce the protrusion of the toe or by adding tapered spacers with the thick end at the top between the pad and the stock.

The first "fix" would shorten the stock slightly and the latter would lengthen it. Neither may cause a fit problem but be aware of it.

To experiment with pitch, you could add washers on the top recoil pad attachment screw between the pad and the stock. You may need a longer screw.

If you do this and more than a quarter-inch of washers are needed to make the whole pad make simultaneous contact with your shoulder, consider adding a shim at the center of the pad to fill the space and prevent cracking.

Rollin

9. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I'm a non-Jewish canter. When I shot a BT-99 it was a little obvious; when I shot my BT-100, now even I could tell that I was canting the gun. I corrected it by using my left hand on the forearm to control it. I'm more aware of my mounting of the gun and positing it onto my shoulder more carefully. I quickly look at the rib alignment and all ahead full steam. So far it has worked.

Darrell

10. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

If you are from "the hood" you can get these.... ha ha ha

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Handgun/?action=view&current=homeboynitesights.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jerbear

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Canting is good. Take a look at the human body. Your shoulder where you mount the gun is off to the side and your aiming eye is toward the middle of your body. Inorder to get the rib and beads in front of your eye you can cant the gun to the left 5 or 10 degrees if you are a right handed shooter. This technique allows you to keep your head and eyes level which is a good thing. It is also a comfortable way to shoot. HMB

12. Model12

Model12 Member

How have your score been? There used to be a program call Starshot and many of the top shhoers were apparently canting. I shot pretty well for years before I was told I was canting. As if it was a crime,I tried to consiously correct my mount before calling for the bird.WRONG!!! Shooting well? Don't change ! Bob G

13. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

a low rib minimizes canting,a high rib exagerates it. Jack

14. spritc

spritc Active Member

Straighten up and fly right!

15. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

For some unknown reason I started canting. Cured by doing the following: 1) moving my comb to the left closer to my face) & changing my pad style, went to a Kick-ezz modified trap pad. (1/4' shorter).

Phil Berkowitz

16. lefthdr

lefthdr Member

I cant and therefore, I can

17. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

Shoot slightly to the right of your target.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Canting the gun is not ideal but it is much preferable to keeping the gun level and canting your head.

Pat Ireland

19. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

It's impossible to generalize like some do. Too many causes! Bad stance, wrong pitch, to much toe out, too littl toe out, Wrong recoil pad shape, improper grip, improper grip angle, Improper grip radious. not enough drop at heel.............You get the Idea. You can experiment or try to get togeather with a good instructor or gunfitter. You may be able to make some minor adjustments to your stock or style. You could be in need of serious stock alterations. Theres no crystal ball for this one.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bt 99 slanted rib cant align beads

does a centre bead prvent gun canting

trap shoot left hand forearm grip recoil change aimpoint change