Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canting the gun???

5K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  claybuster38 
#1 ·
I was shooting doubles the other day with my DB81 and i think i was starting to cant the gun. what would be the best way to help myself fix that?

Thanks
Nathan

#5 ·
Think of it as a Triangle with the top point as POI, and The rear of the rib is one point at the bottom, chamber is other bottom point.. Now putting the POI point down on the table (upside down tringle, with finger on top ), spinning the triangle doesn't effect the POI. Now, it does effect the POI geometry past and before the POI. So yes, if you are shooting too soon, or too late, Cant will effect POI. If you are dead on with your timing for perfect POI, then no it will not. So if your shoutgun Has a POI of 40 yrds, then firing to hit it at 35 will effect it, or firing to hit it at 45 yds will too. Note, on a Top single gun the mathematics are more forgiving than an unsingle gun, when it comes to cant. Due to the distance between the rear of the rib and the chamber is not as far apart as it is on an unsingle.

#6 ·
Cantng the gun by rotating the gun counterclockwise for a right-handed shooter, is often caused by inadequate pitch on the stock, e.g., the bottom of the recoil pad, the toe, sticks out too far.

The gun is canted to place the protruding toe of the pad in or nearer the armpit to improve the contact of the butt to the shoulder pocket, i.e. to make more of the butt contact the shoulder pocket.

Other things that can cause the gun to cant are swinging to targets with the shoulders not level and lowering the elbow from its correct horizontal position during swings that has the same effect.

Gun canting becomes most serious with the use of high-shooting guns with their point of impact (POI) well above their point of aim (POA). This causes the POI to change and the patten no longer goes where expected. The POI is no longer reflected in the sight pictures that are required to break targets.

The height of the rib has little or no effect on gun canting although other ill-fitting stock dimensions can increase the tendency to cant the gun.

Rollin

#7 ·
Canting the gun and shooting at short range targets changes POI very little. The guns relationship to the aiming eye should remain the same if you rotate your lower body when shooting hard lefts and hard rights. Keeping the amount of cant the same helps maintain the same POI.

One benefit of canting the gun is that it allows you to keep your eyes and head level. HMB

#9 ·
If you ever watch some of the greater shooters in our sport you will notice many cant their guns. It simply is not as noticeable with a top single. But if you watch them shooting an unsingle or over and under it becomes more noticeable. If you always hold the gun the same way and slightly cant it your sight picture will become ingrained in your mind. Will not affect your scores.

If you ever had the opportunity to watch Phil Ross shoot, he was the perfect example of an excellent shooter with a major cant to his gun. Did not bother him whatsoever. - Jim

#11 ·
After noticing a slight to major cant in pictures of various top-shooter's mounts, I tried it for myself and it works for me. The gun is locked into my shoulder and cheek much tighter and doesn't move...smoking more birds than before, ran my first 100 (in practice), picked my handicap out of a slump...now that I'm used to it I'm more consistent.

#12 ·
If you think of your pattern,(if 100% high at 35 yards), as a big disk, trash can lid size, mounted on your muzzle in place of your bead, canting the gun will rotate/tip this disk in the direction of your cant. However, this disk is not on your muzzle, it is out at 35 yards. Consequently, for a right hand shooter, canting to the right, more of the pattern at 35 yards will be left of a centerline from your eye to the target. Not very much, maybe a few inches and easily compensated for if that is how you learned.

While we intuitively think that canting an unsingle will produce more effect than a top single, if both are putting their patterns in the same circle at 35 yards, the extra distance from the rib surface to the boreline in the unsingle has already been compensated for when the POI was set up.

#13 ·
Let's put a shotgun that shoots 12" high on the bench and shoot a pattern at 30 yds. With the bead just touching the aiming spot it puts the center of the pattern 12" above the aiming spot. Just to make the point take that same shotgun and rotate it 90 degrees to the right, put the bead just touching the aiming spot and fire a shot. Where on the target will the pattern will be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.